Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sabbathman333
Anyone have ideas, or info that will help me decide which tv to purchase, please .........post a thread. thanks
There's about a million of them already posted. Take your time and either search or sift through them to find the answers you need.

Prolly not a good idea to post your email address on a public forum with thousands and thousands of users - hello spam! :D

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I have the 42" Sony GWIII. Liked the picture better than the Sammy. Both good sets for HD and DVD. Sony is better for SD programming.

Look at both and decide which you like. Sammy will run you more, so if it is a tie for picture quality, look at remote design, user menus and adjustments, and overall cabinet design.

If you like the Sammy better, and don't mind the price difference, that would be your choice. If all is equal in your mind, I'd opt for the lesser price of the Sony.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I owned a Sammy 43" DLP for 6 weeks and my wife & I could not live with the Rainbows & loud fan noise. I returned it to CC & exchanged it for the GWIII 42". I have owned the Sony for 7 weeks and I truely feel that the Sony is outstanding. OTB the PQ & color is perfect to my eye, the lamp fan is quiet and "NO RAINBOWS"

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I believe the base is about 46" if I remember correctly. Also, be very careful to get a stand that is quite low. No more than 24" for this set or it will be too high. I looked all over the place and finally ended up getting the way overpiced Sony stand for the tv. The vertical viewing on this tv is pretty limited so you really want to sit with your head in perfect alignment with the middle of the tv. If your looking up at it you're not going to be seeing things perfectly.

In case you were wondering the official Sony stand sits about 16" high. So, thats basically the perfect height for most people. It's not easy finding a stand from other companies that sits that low. Good luck.

Tiger

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got the 50" Wega ... for the stand ... I'm in Canada but BestBuy carry stands made by the same company that makes the Sony Stands called TechCraft. They are half the price of the Sony stands. That being said I bought a Sony Stand for way cheaper than list price when I bought the tv.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Make sure to balance ideal screen height to your needs as an individual. For example, seating height will impact where your head resides relative to the center of the screen.

Another factor that should be considered is comfort of the viewing angle for you. People that wear bifocal glasses get their distance vision from the top of the lenses. If the screen height is too low, this can make for uncomfortable viewing, as you have to bury your chin in your chest to see a clear image.

This can lead to neck strain and headaches while viewing.

People with bifocal contact lenses get their distance vision from the center of the lens. If you typically view the set wearing this type of lens, the traditional screen height recommended by the manufacturer might work best for you.

All in all, one height does not meet all people's individual needs.

I've found the current generation of lcd sets to be much more forgiving than the older crt based projection sets when it comes to viewing angle (side) and screen height. With the old projection units, moving at all off dead center had a pretty dramitic effect. With the lcds, much less.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I heard that if you watch TV in a dark room than to forget about the LCD rear projections because the brightness and blacks are bad. Is this true?

·
Registered
640 Posts
The base is 40" wide. I measured several times. I am positive.

Quote:
Originally posted by bakerfall
Could any of you with a 42" GWIII measure just the width of the base? I haven't been able to find one.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.