AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1934 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Got a "coupon book" a while back and noticed it is advertising a 42' vizio plasma with built in HD, for a very reasonable price. Anyone have info on this set?? Im hoping that it will compare with the 50 inch.

·
Registered
92 Posts
COSTA MESA, CA and CES LAS VEGAS, NV January 5, 2006 - V, Inc., the multiple award-winning VIZIO consumer electronics maker, announced their first quarter 2006 high definition plasma plans.

"Our VIZIO P50HDM was recently ranked in CNET's 2005 Top Ten Holiday Tech Gifts, just behind the Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Apple's new iPod and broke sales records at retail for HD plasmas. We've designed the VIZIO P42HDTV to build on the successful platform of the P50HDM with the latest generation technology and outstanding value," stated Jeff Schindler, V, Inc. Vice President Marketing and Business Operations.

VIZIO Plasmas

The VIZIO P42HDTV is a completely new 42" high definition plasma design. At only 4" deep, it takes on the attractive gloss-black styling of the VIZIO P50HDM plasma along with silver built-in speakers, intuitive user interface and Easy-to-setup Guide.

The 1024 x 768 native resolution, widescreen plasma features a latest-generation glass with Single Scan Technology for a 10,000:1 contrast ratio, high 1,200 cd/m2 brightness and 30 bit 231 billion colors. An advanced video processor produces reduced solarization and false contouring along with sharpness improvement, non-linear chroma enhancement, closed color suppression, non-linear scaling, adaptive contrast and color controls.

The P42HDTV is fully featured with dual tuners including ATSC off air, clear QAM digital cable and NTSC tuners, universal remote control, PIP/POP, 3:2 pulldown, 3D-comb filter, motion-adaptive deinterlacer, component, HDMI and VGA-type PC (up to 1280 x 1024) inputs along with multiple video settings.

The VIZIO P42HDTV will be available at national retail stores and online in March at an every day price of only $1,799.99 along with a one-year onsite service warranty.

Entire press release with photo is here

·
Registered
92 Posts
Built in tuners, great price, specs that meet my needs, Costco return policy.

I think this is the one that finally makes me take the jump.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmayo /forum/post/0

Built in tuners, great price, specs that meet my needs, Costco return policy.

I think this is the one that finally makes me take the jump.

Agreed! My only concern is...what will the line be like at my local Costco on March 20th?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
hmmm... I had the P42HDe model.... I sold it on Ebay (5) days after I got it. Picture quality was miserable and it wasnt a defective unit either.... This one looks like one helluva deal though.... only concern I have is how it will handle dark scenes & blacks in DVDs. If it's anything like the P42Hde model, I'd stay away from it....

But if this baby can live up to the Maxent 42X3 or better, then THIS is the budget Plasma to get. Case closed.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz /forum/post/0

hmmm... I had the P42HDe model.... I sold it on Ebay (5) days after I got it. Picture quality was miserable and it wasnt a defective unit either.... This one looks like one helluva deal though.... only concern I have is how it will handle dark scenes & blacks in DVDs. If it's anything like the P42Hde model, I'd stay away from it....

But if this baby can live up to the Maxent 42X3 or better, then THIS is the budget Plasma to get. Case closed.

According to VIZIO's press release, the P42HDTV is based on the P50HDM (as opposed to being based on the P42HDe model), so that's a very good sign.

Of course, we'll just have to wait and check it out in person!

·
Registered
92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz /forum/post/0

Any reason you chose to eBay it rather than return it?

I agree - on paper, this looks like an amazing deal. I'm trying to be cautiously optomistic. Don't want to get too excited before I actually see it, or before the lines start forming at Costco...

·
Registered
21 Posts
wonder is costco would have it in stock before March 20. Then i could just get it and get a refund later since they value coupons within 30 days of purchase

·
Registered
39 Posts
Holy cow. Thanks for the press release, richardmayo. This TV is absolutely what I've been waiting for. I wish I could fast forward to March 20. Molybdenum, do you really think they would honor the coupon if you purchase the TV earlier than March 20? That would be awesome. I know Costco's return policy is liberal, but I thought their policy on coupons was more strict.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailingedge /forum/post/0

Holy cow. Thanks for the press release, richardmayo. This TV is absolutely what I've been waiting for. I wish I could fast forward to March 20. Molybdenum, do you really think they would honor the coupon if you purchase the TV earlier than March 20? That would be awesome. I know Costco's return policy is liberal, but I thought their policy on coupons was more strict.

I bought the 50" Vizio 2 weeks before the coupon date and it was no problem getting the discounted amount...I just took my receipt and coupon in...and I know you guys don't want to get too excited but the 50" has excellent PQ and I don't see why the new 42" would be any different...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm debating between this and the 50" RCA Scenium DLP that is at the same price point and in the same coupon book. The RCA DLP deal is about 1 month sooner. I posted a topic to try to get some opinion on which might be the better buy. It is going to be a really tough choice for me I think.

I'm also thinking of just sticking with my 4805 and just saving the money to buy new bulbs since it would get quite a bit more wear and tear. Right now it seems like the most appealing option.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Gibson LP - Can you please update your original message title to include the model number "P42HDTV".

I think it will help with searching, and will limit the duplicate posts.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts

Quote:

Gibson LP - Can you please update your original message title to include the model number "P42HDTV".

Only Moderators are able to do that. Ask one of them.

Quote:
I think it will help with searching, and will limit the duplicate posts.

Thank you.

Yup.

Check Out the all-new BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ

The FAQ plus links to Plasma Stands, Wallmounts, Speakers, Frames, Bezels & More.

Also links to Audio/Video Faqs, Comparisons, Reviews, Shootouts, Tweaks & Many More.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think this is the PDP that is finally going to make me take the plunge!!!! The price and specs are amazing. Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
march 20th seems really long. i was gonna buy the 220A phillips at costco when i saw this coupon. Wonder if this TV is worth the wait

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

Quote:

Any reason you chose to eBay it rather than return it?

Well, it was a gift and the place it was purchased from didnt allow returns... it was a refurbed unit.

But after doing tons of research over a 2-3 day period I realized that the issues I was having were global, more of a limitation of that model and not a defective unit.

Soon after, I sold it. There are people who can settle for the miserable picture quality of a Plasma because its... well.... a "plasma"...

But the 50" model is definently a step up... aside from the "sparklies" on black screens... and I agree that the fact that this new 42" model is based on the 50" makes this unit sound very promising. And that price is VERY attractive....

·
Registered
126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by molybdenum /forum/post/0

does any one know whether this new model has a cable card slot or not?

Unfortunately, the press release doesn't mention a cable card slot...I'm hoping it has one, and it just wasn't listed in the blurb.

On a related note, I emailed Vizio last week asking about this model, and they replied "it has not been posted on our website yet, we will have the final specifications on that by the end of this month."

·
Registered
21 Posts
good news. I emailed vizio for the exact date that the vizio will hit costco's shelves and this is the reply i got:

Good afternoon,

The unit will hit Costco the week of 03/13/06.

Best regards,

Bertha Villasenor

That mean that i dont have to wait till march 20th to get it. But still 2 months to go

1 - 20 of 1934 Posts