AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I need some help. I have finally bought a tv mount for my Toshiba 42" lcd however I didn't want to run those white cable boxes and wanted something that looks clean.

So I decided that the chase channels are the best. Since i'm doing this in my bedroom which is on the second floor once the cables are in the atic it's fairly easy from there and I have a cable tube and power tube for running the TV connections straight from the breaker panel.

The entire idea behind the wall mount was that my wife and I have a bed that is quite a bit off the ground. So when we had the TV on the shelf it was on it really wasn't high enough as my feet always get in the way.

Anyway my biggest concern on this project is the chase channel and wall sockets. I have made 2 channels. 1 for power, AC 110 and the other is double width which will have two tubes which will allow me to run, cable tv, rca's, cat5e / cat6, speaker wires, remote wires or anything else I might need up there on the wall.

Should the three wall sockets (preferrably all in a horizontal line) go below or above the mount? I would put them within the mount but I don't really want to loose the ability to close the mount all the way. I have already cut the channels to about 2 inches above the mount. There really isn't any space behind the tv when mount is closed but when open it will have more than enough space and also keep in mind I will have it tilting down.

I guess my question is, is there any standard for where the wall sockets should go?

Thanks in advance!

Nick

·
Registered
635 Posts
How much space is there between the top/bottom edges of the mount and the top/bottom edges of the LCD? I doubt there is a standard, but if one would lend itself to being covered up most of the time by the TV, then I would pick that one. Actually, it sounds like going below the TV would require a little more work so, unless there is a compelling reason, I think I would just leave them on top. Plus, since you will be looking up at the TV most of the time, this location probably lends itself to being covered by the TV most of the time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey jp, thanks for your reply.

The part that mounts onto the wall actually isn't that big maybe 5 inches x 20 inches and since it's a vesa mount the TV is actually about 10 inches above and below the mount (give or take an inch or two).

I do agree that above the mount will provide the least visibility to the sockets since with the tilt and pan it will hide them a bit.

Can I use a metal socket box or should I use plastic? I'll be using PVC tubing to the atic and depending on box a metal pvc 2 box connector.

I wish I had a camera I would take a picture of the catastrophe in my room right now. I'll continue with the above install.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would just use whatever box marries up to the pipe you are using the best. I don't know if your setup requires anything more than the regular plastic boxes, but I doubt it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts