AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come to NY for business pretty frequently and, up until 9/11, stayed almost exclusively in the Millenium Hilton right across from the WTC (sweet walking distance from the Krispy Kreme). The Millenium has been shut down ever since, but opened back up Sunday (4/27) after undergoing extensive rennovations [for a while, there was talk that it would have to be demolished because of structural damage].

The hotel is magnificent, I was amazed at how well the rennovations had gone and then the bellman opened the door to my room and what should I see but a 42" Zenith Plasma mounted on the wall across from the foot of my bed.

Unfortunately, they didn't have any high-PQ sources hooked up to the TV (I was hoping for a set-up like the Regent Wall Street where they have a DVD player in your suite and you can call the bellman and have him bring up any DVD you want free of charge (except for the tip of course). I did, however, for the first time ever in a hotel order a movie and watch it. Something I never did before because I've spoiled by my 65" Mits.

This is hopefully a sign of things to come. It makes great sense in a hotel, especially in NY where a huge TV armoire takes up so much space in what are typically smallish rooms. Now if LodgeNet can start offering some HD content, business travel would be perfect.

By the way, the room is $199/night. I suspect the lower rate is partly due to the huge depressing hole that every room overlooks. Then again, that's what curtains are for.

·
Registered
891 Posts
This makes me want to open up a hotel... The Home Theater Hotel..just so I can place Plasma Units in them with a HD feed. :D

·
Registered
798 Posts
This is becoming more mainstream.

Hotels are looking for an edge in these times and more and more are placing this technology in their rooms.

LCD's will overtake Plasma in the Hospitality industry only because of longevity. There is no chance for a Hotels guest to fry an LCD screen but I have seen them make beautiful Plasma screen absolutely worthless. It would be kind of hard to politely tell Mr. Smith that the additional $4000 charge on his bill was for the Plasma screen he destroyed last night by falling asleep with the DVD player on...

Because of this, as the LCD screens become larger, more and more Hotels will be coming aboard.

Mark

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe we could compile a list of the hotels with the best home theater set-ups in each major city. I would definitely make that a significant consideration of where to stay and maybe it will push hotels to move away from the 20 inch screens that sit 15 feet away. I know that it would encourage more people to plunk down 10 bucks for an in-room movie.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I like your idea Mits!

To stay near convention centers and trade shows if you do not feel like renting a car --$199.00 is a pretty common rate, if I knew they had plasma it would be more enticing. I do not know about the rest of you but now looking at a regular tube tv just hurts.

They should section the hotel rooms off by brand..

" Would you like our Panasonic suite"?

;)

Welcome to The Hotel Plasma-- You can check out any time you like..but you can never leave..:D

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I read about some of the higher-end Hotels putting Plasmas in the rooms a few months ago. I'll bet you won't see them at Motel-6 anytime soon.

Dave

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I know is that I can't wait to get out of work, go back to my hotel and watch the NBA play-offs on my plasma TV while eating room service. If I had a 32" tube TV, I would almost certainly find a sports bar or sports restaurant instead. Yet more money being generated by high-end AV gear in the hotel room.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I love how it's a foregone conclusion that LCDs will overtake plasmas.

This despite the fact that even DisplaySearch -- in its musing that this might happen -- suggests that 42" plasmas are headed for $1600 or so in about 2 years, with 50" models perhaps as low as $2500.

If LCD is not within 10-20% of plasma's prices, it is not going to replace it anywhere.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Rogo,

What good is a 42" plasma at 1600.00 if your guest can fry it?

I agree with you that LCD may not overtake Plasma in the general public but you have to agree Plasma technology is not the smartest investment when it comes to public use.

An angry guest, kids or a simple oversite with a guests PC can make a terrific display worthless and as someone who actually supplies Hotels, I can assure you the inquiries regarding LCD have quadrupled since they have started to install Plasma Technology.

Even if Plasma technology is 30 - 40% cheaper, an institution would rather pay more upfront and not worry about replacing the unit due to a guest who may not know any better.

Mark

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
CMR -- Yes, for many public-display uses, having a truly burn-in free display is a very worthwhile thing. And worth a somewhat significant premium.

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.