AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time for me to try and get OTA from my location and am wondering which of these antennas would be the best choice, or is there something else that would be better. As far as a preamp, it seems many recommend the CM 7777.

I look forawrd to hearing your opinions.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
The 4228 has longer range than the 4248, according to ChannelMaster.

I would try it and a CM 777x preamp. As high up as possible.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The CM7777 will pass through UHF and VHF. Depending on what channels you need, you might be able to use the CM7775, which is UHF only and will block VHF. Both work well to amplify weak signals. I have the 7775 with the 4228 and those two are the only combination that would pick up good-strength signal from my Denver-based location.

Rgds,

JohnW

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. After posting I saw that CM rates the 4228 at a longer distance than the 4248, although several posts here seem to favor the large yagi type antenna like the 4248. As far as the preamp, the 7775 would probably suffice.

Hey John, how far are you from the towers? Unfortunately, I'm in a bit of a valley though towards the top of a hill, and am not overly optimistic. There are reports of people in my area getting OTA so I am hopeful.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm only 16 miles, but the stations are only broadcasting around 3-12.5K watts...making reception extremely difficult. On top of that, I have a rather high hill (250 ft?) around 1 mile away from me directly in-line with the towers. *nothing* would work except the combination listed above.

Rgds,

JohnW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.