AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the threads closely regarding OTA reception. Initially used a 4248 with 777x preamp, and got Philly's WKYW (CBS), WNEP (ABS) and only rarely for a few secs WTXF (FOX). Also get PBS, but not sure where from, listed as channel 80.

I was missing WCAU, the NBC affiliate that still broadcasts low power in Philly, and wanted to go for broke. Most info on here indicates that the 4248 is practically as good as the 4251, since it has better rearward rejection for multipath. I figured I'd take the risk and plunk down my $$, give it a shot anyway.

WELL LET ME TELL YA. On my first attempt, only a rough guess at bearing (could be off by 10 deg or so, and I KNOW how narrow the beam range is on the 4251), and I get ALL the channels, still using the preamp, including a consistent WCAU and WTXF. I'm thrilled! But sure is ugly, up on a 15 foot mast. Neighbors probably think I'm landing the shuttle. (I'm still using the preamp).

Next step is getting my Marquee CRT (got it cheap!) to recognize the Samsung SIR-T150's RGB output; I have a post in the CRT section for that if anyone can help.

Might still try the 4251 chicken wire covering trick to improve rearward resistance to multipath. Rotor is on its way, and will then try for other channels.

Just figured this might help someone else who isn't sure if they should step up. Anyone local want a cheap, 1 week old 4248?

Jeff

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you decide to mod the antenna, use 1/4 inch hardware cloth, not chicken wire as stated.

Congrats on your results. I too am a 4251 user. My neighbors think I work for the CIA or something. One of them calls me "Professor Gadget."

Scott Burns

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.