Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
42PA20U or TH42PWD6UY+ N5 Tuner?

Please help with my final consideration. My reception is analog cable (Broadstar cable which uses QAM modulation). There is no chance of decent OTA or cable digital within 5 years.

All other differences between 20U and 6UY (720, stand, color, $, service, etc yadayada) are not significant to me. Decision now rests on this:

Picture wise, will I be better off with PA20U’s internal NTSC turner OR a TH42PWD6UY and a Nextvision N5 or N6 tuner?

What do you think?

TIA

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glauco BruZZi, thank you for responding.

You stated “curious to know how's the PQ of both models compared to a built-in tuner in a TV or VCR ?†I am also curious.

My search on the HD Hardware forum determined the Nextvision N5 was a good choice as an OTA tuner.

I was hoping for a post that would say: 1). The Panny card tuner is not as good as a cheapo VCR tuner, save your money as I have removed it from the slot and planted a spider plant in there instead, -or- 2). Yes! It is possible the N5 tuner is better because of the whatever capability of the N5 tuner you can find a unique combination not otherwise available that will yield better PQ than Panny–or- 3). You idiot, the Panny’s scaler is better than any tuner -or- 4). You are suspended from use of the AVS board because your question is so inconsequential it has put most members and the server to sleep.

TIA

·
Registered
10 Posts
The built in tuner in the TH42pa20 is amazing. I can't explain why except that perhaps it must have great sensitivity, very low noise and integrates very efficiently with the scaler in the Panny.

Bottom line is this is the only set in my house where cable looks as good (and in some ways better) than Direct TV SD.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pga:

Thank you so much for your comparison of PQ between sets. However, could you please post you thoughts on how the PA20U Tuner PQ compares to the PA20U + VCR Tuner PQ.

Also, what kind of cable do you have (digital or analog)?

TIA

·
Registered
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pga
The built in tuner in the TH42pa20 is amazing. I can't explain why except that perhaps it must have great sensitivity, very low noise and integrates very efficiently with the scaler in the Panny.

Bottom line is this is the only set in my house where cable looks as good (and in some ways better) than Direct TV SD.

Your last sentence is important to me as SD cable (digital) comprises about 95% of whats available here. When you say that, are you comparing the PA20 to any HD sets you own? I am having trouble justifying twice the price (Panny PX) for a panel that does 95% of available content worse than the PA20...

Last question: Viewing at 6 feet, is pixelation a noticeable problem with your PA20? I saw one recently at that distance and didn't notice it, but I live in Florida and poor vision is mandated by law. :D

thanks,

elvis

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was commenting on the built in tuner which is analogue. It is very good. Have not compared it to a VCR's tuner or a set top box (analogue or digital) with cable. But it compares very favorably with Direct TV.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pga:

Once again, thanks so much for your response. I get an once extra question to get I correct – sorry if I am thick (an HDidiot).

Are you saying that the PA20’s built-in tuner’s OTA (over the air) reception compares to SD Direct? If so, it has nothing to do with cable, but WOW.

Without high-jacking my own thread, I think there may be one or two thousand people on this forum ready to help you improve your SD Direct reception if you post your own thread and details. Good luck.

Regardless, if I understand correctly, you are stating a great OTA analog from the PA20. Thanks.

Has anyone compared the PA20’s tuner to a VCR tuner using a constant source such as cable or OTA?

TIA

·
Registered
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDidiot

... My reception is analog cable (Broadstar cable which uses QAM modulation)....
For future reference, QAM is a method for sending digital bits on cable. So there is a contradiction here (either there's no QAM on Broadstar or Broadstar has something digital going on).

·
Registered
333 Posts
I can sell you your own satellite for a few hundred million $$ plus launch costs or you can get DirectTV or Dish TV.

Philly isn't that much of a hick town is it?

If you are going to blow big bling bling on a Plasma, you might as well go SatTV. Heck, the hardware is free.

The Eagles/Steelers actually play better in HD.

If you are going Sat TV then seriously think about HD SatTV.

The tuners are $300-$800, but the old models are being discontinued and are going cheap.

If eveyone else in your town is stuck with lame analog cable you will be the most popular fellow in town come world series and superbowl time.

If you have to spend money on DirectTV then the commercial 6UY will save you lots of $$$. The tuner in the PA20U doesn't help you.

I have a bad feeling analog cable is going to look aweful on a plasma.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike Enright:

Thank you so much for indicating “there is a contradiction here (either there's no QAM on Broadstar or Broadstar has something digital going on.â€

I have no idea what QAM is. However, I was informed the signal is distributed to a panel in a unit near me in QAM? That signal is then sent as a 100% analog signal to my unit. I do not know if that is correct, however, that statement was consistent with the fact that there is no cable box in my unit! So I guess QAM is irrelevant, I simply get a analog cable signal.

HDidiot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.