AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've spent the last week trying to figure out what is going on using these forums and google but can't seem to find a fix. I have a Toshiba Qosmio x505-870 with a Geforce 360M running windows 7. I have tried two different HDMI cables, using the HDMI 1 port on TV to the HDMI on the laptop.

What happens is when I turn TV on, then laptop, at first the display info on tv reads 1920x1080 at 60hz and if I hit "format" I can choose Normal, Full or Dot by Dot. Windows logo looks great and all is fine. Once it gets to the login screen however it flashes HDMI 1, then everything is stretched out and now hitting info shows "1080p HD 16:9" and if I hit format, by dot by dot option is gone, replaced with Wide, Zoom, Normal... all of which give me overscan, and everything looks like crap, distorted kind of like an echo or shadow to icons and mouse pointer.

So from what I have read this sounds like Nvidia not liking the EDID in my 42PFL3704D? I have plugged this laptop into a Sceptre 40", a Samsung 37", and a Viore 22" all through the HDMI ports and was able to just force it into 1:1 mode with no probs!

I am using 1680x1050, as that's the only mode I can get to fit right & is seen as a PC connection, but any higher than that and it's back to being screwy... even 720p is overscanned... I could kill these idiots for not just putting the Dot By Dot mode in somewhere without needing to detect a PC connection & then having a crap EDID... Regedit shows Default monitor and a key with BAD_EDID but also a PHIL0xx and a EDID but said max rez 1600,1200 changed to 1920,1080 but no luck...

I am sorry if not making much sense I am really exhausted and this is the second TV I got in the last month from NewEgg after the Sceptre died on me 2 days before the super bowl and 2 weeks after I got it. Thank god for newegg RMA! At least philips picked up the phone. Sceptre didn't call back til the day after the super bowl! Wow I sure can pick em huh?

Did firmware update, have newest nvidia drivers... tried to get into service menu to see if I can force it to do dot by dot but the codes I found dont work or I'm not doing it right. Yes, I can do resize desktop in nvdia control panel but everything still looks like crap (Distorted, echoey, etc), Is there a monitor.inf or a custom resolution I can setup with advance timings or something? Please please please help, the thought of sending 2 TV's back in one month is killing me! Thank u thank u thank u!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
the current phillips models sold today are cheap TV's made by Funai

what do you do with your TV?

you plan on gaming on it a lot?

I currently use a Panny 37S1 as my main monitor and it works great with my 8800 GT

i've had a Sony 32XBR6 and a Toshiba 40xv645u connected to my PC as monitors before as well and never had a problem like this

I kept the panny over the Toshiba because it has less blurring problems while still having nearly zero input lag making it the perfect gaming/PC monitor TV on the market today, it has a few drawbacks like poor black level compared to the toshiba and blurry red and blue text when on a dark/black background but overall the picture is very good and sharp and once adjusted correctly 95% of text is clear and readable.

I'd try updating your video card drivers and if that does not correct the problem also try setting the refresh rate to 59hz rather than 60hz it may correct the problem you never know

otherwise return it and buy something else

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I tried 59hz and am unable to update my drivers off Nvidia. (Brand new laptop Nvidia says to get drivers from toshiba, and mine are the most up to date available) If you google Nvidia philips edid there are many posts on problems with the EDID getting along with Nvidia, and am looking to fix mine with pheonix and powerstrip, but don't think I found details on this specific model. This has to be a simple problem with the windows 7 registry or the nvidia driver as it detects the PC signal just fine before I get to the login screen, heck if there is anyone out there who knows how to access the service menu I'd love to see if I can force it into 1:1.

Anyone out there know anything about this setup & care to help me out instead of telling me it's cheap and I should by something else instead? Thanks though.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchywolf /forum/post/18172652

Thanks for the reply, I tried 59hz and am unable to update my drivers off Nvidia. (Brand new laptop Nvidia says to get drivers from toshiba, and mine are the most up to date available) If you google Nvidia philips edid there are many posts on problems with the EDID getting along with Nvidia, and am looking to fix mine with pheonix and powerstrip, but don't think I found details on this specific model. This has to be a simple problem with the windows 7 registry or the nvidia driver as it detects the PC signal just fine before I get to the login screen, heck if there is anyone out there who knows how to access the service menu I'd love to see if I can force it into 1:1.

Anyone out there know anything about this setup & care to help me out instead of telling me it's cheap and I should by something else instead? Thanks though.

best of luck then

the easier solution would be to get a different TV because the TV is at fault not the video card and people don't use LCD TV's with computers all that often enough for it to be fixed more than likely

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well in any case this Forum has been of great help in at least giving me clues on what to do so many thanks to the community for this excellent resource.

I still have a few weeks to figure out if I'm going to send it back, but after playing some games and watching a blue-ray, even at the lower rez I am damn happy. As for easiest thing to do... that depends on not having a bad back & shoulder injury, and already tweaked it setting the damn SCEPTRE up, sending IT back, then setting this Philips up... Ugh, don't get old. it friggin sucks.

So if I hook up a PC with an ATI card & it works fine is it still philips fault? Bit of a mind screw, if I wasn't so frustrated, all the posts I saw arguing about who to blame would be funny. I agree, it is philips fault, apparently ATI just handles the override better than Nvidia.

Found a couple different codes to access a service menu but instructions were less than detailed & couldn't get it to work, not even sure if service menu will allow me to force 1:1.

Take care & thanks again.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
service menu likely didn't work because because it was instructions on how to get into a real Phillips TV's SM

as i said before its not a Phillips made TV its a Funai TV, same company that makes Magnavox, Sylvainia, RCA the list goes on

you could always use your video card to force down scaling the image

Nvidia control panel > Display > Adjust desktop size and position

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to revive this, but the solution for this specific problem is much easier than the previous posts lead on. The problem isn't with the NVIDIA drivers or television; it's most likely with Windows' *display* (monitor) drivers. Just for future reference to anyone else running into this issue:

Under the Windows Device Manager, check to see whether you monitor is listed as the Generic Plug-and-Play Monitor. If it is:

Right-click --> Update Driver Software --> Browse My Computer for Software (Manually) -->

Let me pick from a list... --> Uncheck "Show Compatible Hardware -->

Under "(Standard Monitor Types)", Select "Digital Flat Panel 1920x1080 60hz"

You might need to readjust your resolution and/or reboot, but this should immediately fixed the overscan problem on this Philips 42". I've tested this with several nvidia systems on the same tv.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for taking so long to reply, but one of the first things I did even before looking for a solution was ricojonah's suggestion and it did not work, but I tried it again anyway, never have I wished so hard that I was so stupid as his post implied.... I found an EDID override tool on a different forum that creates a custom INF that's supposed to work around this issue, but still no love. NVidia's control panel splits the resolutions up into PC and HD, and the highest PC res is 1680x1050, 1920x1080 is listed as an HD mode and using scaling I can set it to 1818x1014 but I still get ghosting and overall image quality still looks worse than 1680x1050.

Thanks for the info & suggestions guys, It makes perfect sense for this to be a Windows driver problem because when I see the windows logo with black screen and I hit info on remote, it says 1920x1080 and I can choose pixel-by-pixel mode, but as soon as login screen appears, info changes to 1080p and I lose pixel-by-pixel mode & get normal TV options like Wide, Zoom, etc. Picture looks like crap compared to 1680x1050 mode. I have updated the firmware on the TV as well. Perhaps there's a manual Regedit or INF fix for this then?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem with the exact same TV, and nothing has fixed it.

GeForce 8400, Windows 7 64 Bit. 1680x1050 is dot-by-dot but 1920x1080 overscans by a mile

The codes I get from the EDID reader are 41 0C 00 00

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got it working. I don't know why this made it start working when it didn't before, but i'm just happy it's working now.

I added the binary values 41,0C,00,00,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

to HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Video/, OverrideEdidFlags0

I had tried adding it to the nvidia driver inf, the monitor inf, changing the monitor inf to the default 1920x1080 driver, using powerstrip, etc without success

I had tried the registry patch as well but i must have messed it up the first time because it works now. the nvidia cp shows it has a PC dvi-to-tv connection now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know it's an ancient thread, but I just had to thank dmaul for his info, it got me moving on the right track. I had been enjoying no overscan up to the 260.99 driver and disabling audio in the NV PANEL, but when I tried to update to the latest Nvidia notebook Verde driver, disabling the audio didn't fix overscan anymore... After pulling more hair out, I checked back here. I did not have the reg keys DMAUL mentioned but googling the key led me to a page with the answer. I had to follow the guide here but didn't have a damn nv_disp.inf file! Since they have diff inf files for each laptop, I had to figure out which nv*.inf to edit, looked in device properties for my vidcard, driver details and found it (only nv*.inf listed) That was the only hiccup I had, all the other info in the above site worked great, replaced with my EDID of course. Added a new line to the bottom of the [nv_commonBase_addreg] section, HKR,,OverrideEdidFlags0,%REG_BINARY%,41,0C,00,00,00,00,FF,FF ,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

If you have the exact same TV dmauls code works great but if not you have to figure out your own EDID using tools mentioned here or on the page above. I'm sure I could have manually added the key to the reg but I wanted to make sure it was in the right spot. Only downside is now I have no option for audio to the TV, but that's what my Optical out to the Dolby receiver is for.

Oh, and lastly, LOL at the idiot who told me just to send the monitor back, and no one uses them for PC monitors, that was just outright rude lazy and idiotic "Why bother to fix it when you could just send it back" like sending a SECOND 42" monitor back thru UPS was easier than troubleshooting... What a dumb fat jerk. It still cracks me up, I hope he's not in the industry, probably just a phone tech who's used to nothing more than getting people off the phone as quick as possible, a disturbing tend that is ruining our society. Thanks again to the people who actually helped, instead of just insulting me and my HDTV. Has been working great this whole time & it looks great 2, so blow me, I'm glad I didn't listen to your dumb ass, maybe you should just keep your F***ING mouth shut next time and let someone who knows what they are doing post a reply instead. KTHXBYE

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is hilarious. After W7 SP1, I ran into the problem again. I couldn't remember how I fixed it.

I looked at this thread. Read it. I didn't realize until Itchywolf's post that the post above his was mine.

Thanks, me.

For the record, I just didn't copy the registry path correctly. The path is HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Video/. The class name is hex, and varies, but inside the active one there will be 0000 and 0001, and you need to add OverrideEdidFlags0 to both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts