AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 42PWD5UY. I find it very annoying that it can only take 1 video source at a time, s-video or video. And it always picks S-video, am I missing something? Anybody have a work around?

I have my tivo hooked up to receiver then s-video into Plasma, and Xbox hooked up via composite video through receiver then into plasma, even though I switched it on the receiver to Xbox, it won't show anything as long as the s-video cable is plugged in. As soon as I unplug the s-video, the composite source shows up. ANy clue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
491 Posts
yoyoplay - some say the composite (video) connection on the panny is just as good, if not better, than the svideo. My suggestion would be to hook everything up to your receiver via composite and then hook up your panny to your receiver via composite...

·
Registered
41 Posts
You have:

Tivo hooked into your receiver,

Xbox hooked into your receiver,

Then,

receiver hooked into your plasma (s-video)

receiver hooked into your plasma again (composite)

If so, why he hell are you even using a receiver?

Panny only has 3 inputs

1) PC input

2) Component input

3) composite input (RCA type / S-video seen as two different connections

types for only one input, you can use one or the other, not both)

Rey

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
That is normal ops. When the S cable is plugged in, the shell grounds a CMOS switch that cuts out the BNC and passes the S signal.

T Wiz

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same problem. The kids didn't want to give up watching the tapes onhe VCR. Unfortunately my reciever would only allow composite out for a given source if there was a composite in for that source.

Then someone on this forum gave me the answer.

There is a composite to s-video converter. Converted the composite from the VCR going into the reciever and now the DVD and the VCR can go out 1 output (s-video) to the Panny. Worked like a charm. They cost around $30 as I remember.

Hope this helps.

Larry

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Those cheap composite to s-video converters are poor quality compared to the high quality comb filter in the plasma, you will get much higher quality if you use composite instead of that converter from a VCR which is a composite signal in any case!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Don,

The resolution of standard VHS is so poor to begin with, would the inexpensive comb filter performance really make that much of a difference? I'm sure there would be a noticable difference for the tuner in the VCR, but recorded VHS tape looks pretty bad to me on my Panny even under the best conditions.

-Steve

·
Registered
884 Posts
I use a cheap composite to S-Video connector ($9.99 from Rat Shack), then switch the S-Video siganls to the A/V input. I didn't notice any difference from a cruddy composite signal to the upcoverted one. I don't subscribe the composite is better than S-Video point of view and I want to use the S out from the DirectTV box. The only composite source is a VHS and there's not a lot you can spoil on a VHS signal.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
You will get interlaced artifacts (combing) on motion scenes if you don't use a good quality comb filter. That cheap composite to svideo converter probably doesn't do much filtering at all.

·
Registered
635 Posts
> You will get interlaced artifacts (combing) on motion scenes if you

> don't use a good quality comb filter. That cheap composite to

> svideo converter probably doesn't do much filtering at all.

I can believe this. I am in a similar situation to the original poster; multiple S-Vid and composite inputs that I would like to switch into a single s-video input.

Is there a good quality comb filter, or a conversion / switching box incorporating such a filter, that you like and can recommend?

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The plasma display has the best comb filter - to use it, just use composite video instead of s-video, avoid s-video completely.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Q. Can you have both the component and s-video connected to the Panny, and be able to select between which one is active?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.