AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife agreed and I will finally buy an ED 6UY Panny - can't wait:)

Here is however the question I need answered: I need to hook up Time Warner cable box (probably SA 2100HD or 3100HD) equipped with S-vid and component, a Pioneer DVD with s-vid and component and a VCR (need to buy one cheep!). Is it possible to connect all of it getting good PQ on standard cable programming in just mode(we watch most of it - I would probably use s-vid), get another cable connection from the same cable box to watch HD programming (all 9 available), have DVD connected ( again with just mode possible) and the VCR? The TV will be wall mounted with concealed cabling so plugging and unplugging is out of the question. I have seen some discussion about how sometimes aspects are disabled with HDTV cable boxes. I would be grateful for your input.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Quote:
Here is however the question I need answered: I need to hook up Time Warner cable box (probably SA 2100HD or 3100HD) equipped with S-vid and component
For SD programming. Would check your box to see if it also handles composite and use either composite or S-vide. The S Video or composite inputs should allow you to adjust the picture with the Panny aspect ratio's. It is usually limited via component with an HD feed. ALthough this is different for some boxes, that is the general rule of thumb.

Quote:
get another cable connection from the same cable box to watch HD programming (all 9 available
Would use component for your HD stations. This will only send the pic in "full" and will afford the best PQ. Also this will eliminate any type of signal switching "noise" as the component input will always be in 720 or 1080 on start up.

Quote:
have DVD connected ( again with just mode possible) and the VCR? The TV will be wall mounted with concealed cabling so plugging and unplugging is out of the question
You can hook up ythe DVD to the component/vga input. If you do not do this you have run out of inputs.

The Panny 6uy (commercial) comes with 2 component(1 via vga), 1 S Video 1 Composite and the afore mentioned PC VGA connection. The Svideo and composite are mutually exclusive.

You will need to either buying a video switcher or have a receiver capable of video switching to hook up the VRC or use a single component input.

Therese

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info Therese - thank you.

So it sounds like the only problem will be the VCR which I need for my kids. Now let me ask this: Is it possible to run the wires from cable box to the VCR and from the VCR to the TV all using s-vid or composite as you suggested? Would this allow me to skip the switching box or buying new receiver? Should I worry that there will be a significant PQ loss if I do this? After all, SD TV will by my primary programming until Time Warner puts more HD out there.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Not aware of a way to hook up your vcr through the cable box. Used to do that on an old Hughes STB, but it has been awhile.

I tend to sway towards having a receiver that can handle at least video switching at the component level and preferably up conversion. I look at these as benefits in addition to getting great sound. Since you mentioned you were going with the 6UY - assume you must have a receiver of some sort - to get sound from?

Most receivers will let you run composite/ Svideo though. I would check you receiver specs....

With a good receiver or switching box, you should not lose PQ. I currently run both and have had no issues. There are several recent addiitons in this marketspace such as the Yamaha 1400/2400 that offer these features at an extremely attractive price point.

If you do not have HD now - then you will not have to use the Component/VGA input(which requires a special cable - see bluejeanscables.com). That will still leave a component input free. However, VCR's don't have component outputs(at least none that I have seen) and you will need a minimum of 2 Svideo/composite inputs. The 6uy only has 1 active. There are many very inexpensive switchers that can handle this - think Rat Shack around $15.00. (Used to do it all the time for the multiple game systems!)

Since you mentioned kids - concern would be that the switching of the inputs done manually is not something my family ever got down:) Got tired of the after school phone calls and the "tv doesn't work" emergency calls! So having a receiver and a universal remote that simplifies and automates this is pretty critical in multi input/aspect/component scenario's for most families.

Jusy my opinion and your family may very well be able to handle this.

So to sum up - strongly suggest a switcher/or receiver to gain more inputs, video switching and upconversion if possible.

This will yeild the best results.

Therese

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would buying one of the optional boards be another option that can solve the Problem?

Thanks again Therese!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:
If you do not have HD now - then you will not have to use the Component/VGA input(which requires a special cable - see bluejeanscables.com). That will still leave a component input free. [/b]

Don't mean to hijack your thread Island :( I also have this same plasma on order and should be receiving it very soon. I'm also a bit confused on the monitor inputs and had a ?

I will also be using a SA HD tuner from Time Warner, a JVC progressive DVD, and Onkyo receiver and was hoping someone could suggest the best individual set-up.

I realize it has a row of 5 BNC connections for componet. Not quite sure how the BNC to rca works though I did order the cable :confused: :D Will I use all 5 BNC connections to RCA to say my dvd componet output?

Is my only other option for HD tuner to Monitor the S video or would using the VGA port to componet cable that Therese suggests be a better solution?

I also have a xbox and dunno how I'm gonna hook that up. I guess you can always add the video terminals to help with individual set-up but they seem to be very expensive.... :(

Thanks for any input/suggestions....

dan

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
You only use 3 of the set of 5 BNC for the 3 component video signals - the other two are sync signals that are only for RGB format, just leave the two extra open. You have to use component or VGA/RGB for HD, composite and s-video are for 480i (not HD) format only - use that for standard cable boxes or vCRs only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.