AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the "PICTURE POSITION/SIZE" function on my 42PWD6UY and discovered some very annoying and in my opinion unacceptable strange lines on the top of the picture.

Do the following to see if you have the same lines I'm talking about.

On the remote push: "PICTURE POS./SIZE"

Highlight: "V-POS"

Now push the "LEFT ARROW" bringing the picture down till you see the black begin to appear,you should see only picture and the black bar, but on mine I have approximately 1 inch of multiple lines, on some channels I have less of the lines, each line approximately 1-4 pixels in height and extending the full width of the picture and some appear to be moving almost like "DOT CRAWL"

I do not have any lines on either side of the picture when I do the same thing with the "H-POS" function or on the bottom.

They (lines) also appears with my DVD player running direct or through a switcher.

I talked to Panasonic and the technician that was helping me, said, it was defective and needed to be repaired/exchanged.

I asked a friend of mine who lives here in Lincoln and has the same set to check his, he also has the same problem. He contacted the company (online dealer) that sold him his and they told him that this was normal due to some form of compression and that there was nothing wrong with his Panasonic????

This is a simple thing to check for, would you please report to this thread if you have the lines or not on yours and if anyone knows what they are please let us know.

Harley

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Harley - With much pain I will check this tonite. I DO NOT want a problem. Oh why..........:eek: did you find this!

:) Here's hoping that I don't have any lines tonite!

Therese

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Therese

I just returned from my friends house that has the same set and his lines are virtually identical to mine in every mode.

How I discovered these is, I read somewhere here that adjusting the size and position to fit the screen size is supposed to produce a better picture and when I first discovered it, I thought it was normal to have them but after a couple of weeks I decided to inquire about it and like I said above, I was told by Representative at Panasonic that it was defective but I'm wondering if he mistook my explanation of the lines as something abnormal when maybe it should be normal because my set has a June date and my friend has a July date, for whatever that's worth, and his lines are virtually identical to mine.

I'm sorry if I have discovered another problem and I hope it's not.

I need to thank you for the additional information you are providing on that other thread and my friend thanks you as well.

Harley

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
How far down did you go? I ask only because I've adjusted the V-position adjust to account for some overscan and did not see the aforementioned pixelation. I just might not have gone down far enough though...I will check tonight though.

Scott

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ssteel01
How far down did you go? I ask only because I've adjusted the V-position adjust to account for some overscan and did not see the aforementioned pixelation. I just might not have gone down far enough though...I will check tonight though.

Scott
Pixelation is a good definition.

Pull the screen down until you start seeing the black (usually about an inch or two) and if you have the lines you can not miss them. When I pushed the screen up the edge on the bottom is perfect as well as the sides are crisp perfect.

It is more noticeable on S-VIDEO, on component when viewing HD I have approximately one-half inch of totally black pixels with the very top line/row of pixels the same color as the working picture, I hope this makes sense.

Harley

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
So...this might sound kind of weird, but...

I tried changing the vertical size on an HD channel (specifically, HD-PBS) and I did NOT see the dot lines that you referred to no matter how small I made the picture. I switched to an SD channel (viewed in JUST mode) and also did NOT see them.

However, when I switched to HD-NBC while it was NOT showing a true HD broadcast (i.e., it was showing upconverted 4:3 material--or whatever it is), I saw the dot crawl and horizontal lines immediately upon changing the picture size.

I wonder if it has something to do with aspect, not really the channel per se.

Did that help, or just make things worse?

Scott

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I don't think it's a problem because it's supposed to be hidden by the overscan.

My Panasonic TH-37PW5UZ (Also my previous TH-42PW5UZ) has the same **problem** on the bottom (Top is perfect) with regular TV programming. Mine is only 1/4 inch.

I don't have HD so can't comment on that. Never seen this happen with DVDs though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is my first post - I've been reading the forum for a few weeks but only just joined. I'm presently watching on a Sony 35" XBR CRT but have my name on Lisa's list for a new Panny 50"!

Anyway - I think what you are seeing is data in the VBI - "vertical blanking interval". This is not normally seen because of overscan or is blanked out by the TV circuitry. There are several lines at the top of the picture that have always been reserved for various sorts of data and this is used by all broadcast channels and probably by satellite and cable as well.

As you know, the official line count for visible picture information is 480 lines (240 each field) on NTSC. The total line count transmitted is 525. The 45 lines difference (22-1/2 on each field) are called the "vertical blanking interval".

Two of the lines are used for a "color bars" line and a "pulse and bar" line which are used by TV stations for checking equipment on that particular feed.

Because the plasmas can show everything that is transmitted, if you reduce the picture size so that the VBI comes within the visible region then you will see the "crawling dots" etc of the data lines. How many lines you see will depend on the way that the TV circuitry does the "blanking" of this interval.

You can also see some of these lines on some high quality analog TV's if you reduce the picture height.

In Europe, these lines are also used for the teletext data services. In US they would be used for program information, program guide, etc, as well as the more mundane uses of cueing the control room equipment for program changes and ads

I have not yet come across use of the area at the bottom of the picture but I can well imagine that in purely digital transmissions they are using the whole of the VBI for non-picture data.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GerryL

First of all I'd like to welcome you to AVS.

It's obvious from your first post that you will fit in perfectly at AVS.

The explanation you gave about "vertical blanking interval" makes sense, especially since my friend's look identical to mine, but what about what Glauco BruZZi explained on his, right before your post, about his showing the lines on the bottom and the fact that they also show via DVD player on mine?

Are some supposed to be designated on the bottom?

I'm really confused and quite frankly frustrated, I have Panasonic telling me that it is a problem and with assistance (make that major assistance) from Lisa at plasma-extreme, I'm getting a new Plasma because Panasonic says it is defective.

I'm wondering if my suspicions concerning the technician, that I spoke to at Panasonic, didn't know what he was talking about or he misunderstood my explanation, of my perceived problem and if that is the case, he has created an undue hassle for Lisa as well as myself and has worried my friend and probably a few others here as well, but on the other hand if he is right, Panasonic might have a lot of exchanging to do.

Please if you own the 42PWD6UY please check for the lines and post your results here.

Harley

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Glauco BruZZi
HuskerHarley,

Can you post a photo showing the problem ???
Sorry the answer is "No" I don't own a digital camera, as a matter of fact it's on my list of wants....

Harley

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
My question is, What is your percentage of "Over-scan/Under-scan" when measured with "AVIA/VE". There are limitations and there are standards to live by. These DVDs will help you set up your "Over-scan/Under-scan" easily (3% to 5% is acceptable).

Dave

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cheridave
My question is, What is your percentage of "Over-scan/Under-scan" when measured with "AVIA/VE". There are limitations and there are standards to live by. These DVDs will help you set up your "Over-scan/Under-scan" easily (3% to 5% is acceptable).

Dave
Dave

I'm guilty of not using "AVIA/VE" to check for "Over-scan/Under-scan" and the sad thing is I have VE and two versions of the AVIA.

Quite frankly I don't know how to use the disk's to check for the "Over-scan/Under-scan" If you know how and it's not too complicated would you please advise me how to check for this with either version?

I read somewhere (I thought at this site) that it was desirable and recommended to eliminate all the overscan, which would result in a better picture and when I did that, I found the lines, I never considered what you suggested, as a matter of fact, I adjusted my set using the RAT method.

If this is normal then Panasonic needs to get more knowledgeable technicians that deal with customers, I'm really getting a terrible feeling in my gut that I put Lisa, my friend, as well as myself to a lot of unnecessary heartache.

I'm assuming these lines are on every brand of TV/Plasma...????

Harley

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
"AVIA"

Goto "Chapter 7"

Goto "Special Tests"

Goto "Overscan"

Put Plasma in "FULL" (aspect mode)

Make adjustments accordingly.

Will have to hook-up S-Video to make adjustments for NTSC, but same concept applies.

If you know how to enter "Service Mode", then I would recommend making adjustments there. If not then make adjustments using "User Mode".

This should make what you are seeing go away. I believe what you are seeing is a normal function of your Plasma. One can over do things and might interpret it as a problem when its not.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
One side note---

This will involve using all 4 adjustments

H-pos

H-size

V-pos

V-size

As you make one adjustment you may have to recenter your picture up or down. But it is fun playing with our Plasmas.

Dave

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cheridave

[B

Will have to hook-up S-Video to make adjustments for NTSC, but same concept applies.

[/b]
By this do you mean 4:3 aspect ratio?

Harley

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Harley,

I did as you suggested. I have lines, but less like dot crawl then short bursts of white/red/and green lines that extend broken up. Similar to below... The move and change length - but extend the length of the screen.

----------------- ------ ---------- ------------- -------------- -------------

-------- ------- -------- ------------------------ -------- -------- ---------

The first couple are white and then as you extend up you can see different colors.

Therese

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HuskerHarley
Therese

If that was on component would you please check S-VIDEO.

Harley
Right. That was on component. I do not have s-video hooked up. I am running my SD signal via composite. On composite I have the same lines, however the higher up you go I then get a single line that has different colors.

------------ ------ --------------- ------- --- ---- -

---- --- -- ---- --- --- --- --- --

---- - - - - ----- ---- ---- -------- -------------------- ---- -----

The first lines are like solid hashes, each set of hashes can be different colors. More uniform. White hashes then next line wil be yellow to red hashes. When you get to the solid line it is a thin line (about a pixel in width) that is a rainbow of colors. I just ran all my cabling again this weekend and tidied it up. But if you need me too, I will disconnect the composite and recable in the S-video. WIll take an hour or so...Let me know. I don't mind doing it - but has to be after the football game:)

Therese

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.