AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to this entire forum for giving me the knowledge to help me choose an incredible plasma.

First off - Any advice on wall color, etc is welcomed and appreciated!

Omnimount U3 Tilt mount (Circuit City)

Panny 42PWD7UY (1800plasmas)

KEF 2005.2 Speakers (AKA Eggs) (eBay)

Denon AVR-2805 Receiver (mpsuperstore.com)

Panasonic HD841 (Circuity City)

2x4's, drywall (Home Depot :)

I used a studfinder to locate the studs and realized the mount would only be able to fasten to one stud. I knew this wasn't a good idea, so I cut out a strip of drywall and installed additional studs. I went ahead and ran power, speaker wires, and a component video cable. (I left a spare wire to pull a DVI cable at a later date).

The Omnimount works great and mounts the Panny 7UY easily and is very sturdy. I like how it extends away from the wall, giving just enough room to plug in power cables, etc. I'll post pictures of how I ran power to UPS/Surge Protector soon.

Here is a picture of the final results.

http://www.oakmontllc.com/htpics/Final.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BruZZi

Your FAQ is a great piece of work. Thanks to you, I waited for the 7uy, and had all the confidence to go ahead with the non-consumer model.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Looks great! I'm getting ready to do the same exact thing for mine, and your pics just saved me a couple of drywall holes (your box idea). How did you run the cables? I unfortunately need to run them horizontally through 2 studs, so I'm looking at cutting out more drywall to be able to drill through the studs. BTW mine is over the fireplace too, looks like almost the exact situation.

Craig

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Nice job with the installation!!! Enjoy your new screen. I'm still waiting for the green light from the wife so I can "pull the trigger" on my 7UY.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cw_racefan
Thanks for the pics! Looks great! I'm getting ready to do the same exact thing for mine, and your pics just saved me a couple of drywall holes (your box idea). How did you run the cables? I unfortunately need to run them horizontally through 2 studs, so I'm looking at cutting out more drywall to be able to drill through the studs. BTW mine is over the fireplace too, looks like almost the exact situation.

Craig
My fireplace is gas, directly vented out of the wall. Because of this, there is a lot of space in the corner behind the diagonal wall. This wall isn't even insulated because it's not an exterior wall. This made running wires a lot easier - here's what I did...

On the wall to the right of the fireplace (at normal outlet height from the floor), I cut two holes to install outlet boxes, one for power and one for all the other cables. Behind the plasma, I put in a double low voltage box for all cables other than electrical. This box doesn't have a back (this gives you a lot of space to work.) I took the cables and literally tossed them over towards the holes at the right of the fireplace. I then reached my hand in and pulled them through the hole.

If there is no space behind your wall, you can use a long, flexible drill bit. I have one that is 6 feet long. You can bend it enough to drill sideways through multiple studs, then pull a string or wire back through the holes. Here's a link to a similar bit and handle.
Flex bit handle

6' Flexible bit

Please post any questions and pictures - I'm interested in seeing how yours turns out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice setup! Do you happen to have any side-angle pics so I can see how far your TV sticks out from the wall and in relation to the top of your mantle? My setup is almost the same.

How do you like your tilt mount?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the info. Never seen a flexible drill bit like that. My fireplace is a direct vent gas also, but I'm dealing with exterior walls. I have lots of space behind the wall above the fireplace, but just not in the stud cavities to the sides. It may be a little while before I actually tear into it, we're finishing some outside projects and have the TV temporarily hung slightly off center on the existing studs with all the wiring external (yuck!) but at least its functional until I get the time to do it right!

Thanks for the info!

Craig

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DominoGold
Nice setup! Do you happen to have any side-angle pics so I can see how far your TV sticks out from the wall and in relation to the top of your mantle? My setup is almost the same.

How do you like your tilt mount?
I like the tilt mount for the extra space behind the plasma, not as much for the tilt feature. Actually, I don't think the TV is tilted much at all, I'll measure it tonight and take some pictures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.