AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching an HDTV purchase for awhile and I have it narrowed down to:

Panasonic 42PX50U

Pioneer PDP4312 (from Costco)

Samsung HLR506W DLP

I will be sitting around 7-8 feet away. Using a DirectTV HD box for signal. Also viewing a fair amount of DVD. I want to connect the TV to my 5.1 home theater system (is HDMI useless if I am going to be running the audio feed from DirectTV box to AV receiver?)

I am looking for recommendations and ideas.

The Samsung is a 50" set and about $500 cheaper than the other two sets. Love the idea of the bigger screen but not sure how I feel about DLP technology. Saw a couple DLP sets in Best Buy and did not see rainbows. They were only running HD feeds. To me they looked close in PQ to plasma.

I've heard Pioneer and Panny are two best plasma manufacturers. Any real difference between these two sets - I know Panny is known for better black levels. Anything else that really distinguishes these two? (and why, in general, are Pioneer plasmas more expensive than Panny?)

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Both the Panny and Pio are nice sets. I have all Panny Plasmas in my set up's at home. It looks like the new Pio's are going have better black levels. We will have to wait and see. As far as DLP goes I personally can't stand the PQ they deliver. They look very fake to me.

John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.