AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I bought a SONY 42" WE610 from BB yesterday. I was originally going to get another TV, but after seeing the picture on this one, I changed my mind. I guess this TV was an impulse buy since I had done no research on it. They did not have the TV in stock, but they sold me the floor model for 20% off which I thought was a good deal. Anyways, I have read a lot of the posts on this TV and there seems to be a lot of information out there, but I am having trouble finding definitive answers. If anyone knowledgable about this topic could answer some of my questions, I would really appreviate it. :)

1) My serial number starts with 920... but the build date is November 2003. From looking at the other posts, it looks like my serial number is not included in those affected by 'the problem' (right?)... but I have read other posts that say that all sets with a build date of December 2003 or earlier will be affected with the problem. Can someone clear this up for me? Should I expect problems in the near future? I thought I heard a 'buzzing' for 3 seconds or so last time I turned it on, but maybe I am just paranoid. I am having a super bowl party that I really want this TV to be working for.

2) I have seen posts where people say how many hours they have on the television set (or the lamp). Is there an way to check this? Since I bought a store display, I would like to know how many hours it had on it before I brought it home.

3) I bought the Best Buy 4yr warranty for $250. Does this include lamp replacement? I have read several posts that said it didn't, but I have read others that said their 'terms and conditions' didn't exclude it. (I know it is covered by SONY for 1 year.) The BB salesmann told me that it is covered, but he didn't really seem to know what he was talking about.

4) Are there any posts with setting reccomendations to get the best picture?

Thanks in advance for the help. :) :D

-Brad

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
chief:

to check the number of lamp hours, you must enter the service menu.

to enter the service menu, press this sequence of keys when the power is OFF.

Display

Volume +

Power

When/if the set comes on, you will see a few rows of green numbers. the top left entry tells you what 'category' you're in. Now, buttons 2 and 5 cycle through these categories. you want to hit 5 to cycle down until you see the words "Option-E" on the top left.

This screen contains the lamp time meter. The words "Lamp Time" are right under "option-E". To the far right and just a row below "Lamp Time" is a 5-digit number. Presumably, it starts at 00000. Mine for instance, says 00444. Which, naturally, means i'm at 444 hours right now.

To exit the service menu, just hit power and power back on. all the numbers will vanish. Don't sweat the service menu too much - as long as you don't press the sequence:

Mute

Ent

nothing you change accidentally will be written into the memory of the set. but if you only press 5 or 2, no values will be changed.

On the other hand, if you want to tweak the values, why don't you read the thread "UMR Does GWIII and XBR". The recommended tweaks are on the first page.

As for BB, you were probably being given a snow job by an uninformed/lying sales drone out to make a buck. There's no way a $250 warranty covers a $200 bulb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.