AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Based on the 1.3Mil micro-mirrors number, that is a 1280x1024 chip Vestel is planning on using.

Since the display is 16:9, I wonder if they are planning on not using all the pixels, or if they will be scaling up to fill the chip and then doing an anamorphic squeeze back down to fit the 16:9 screen ?

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
855 Posts
When I read it, I don't think the article says Vestel is using the 1280x1024 DMD. It says
Quote:
At the heart of TI's Digital Light Processing(TM) technology is the Digital Micromirror Device optical semiconductor chip. The DMD switch has an array of up to 1,310,000 hinged, microscopic mirrors which operate as optical switches to create a high resolution, full color image.
I think the "up to" part denotes the current limit of the technology, not what Vestel is or will use.

Since they are showing the prototype in Europe right now, has anyone been to the IFA show and seen it?

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
The 1280x1024 DMD array is used in the digital cinema projectors (used in commercial theaters). I'd seriously doubt that is what Vestel is using.

-phil

·
Registered
855 Posts
I was just sent this excerpt from "The Microdisplay Report" (whatever THAT is) by a friend of mine.

Quote:
$3,000 DLP TV Looks Close

One of Europe's larger TV set makers, Vestel, says it has developed a prototype 43-inch rear-projection TV set using DLP technology. The Turkish company believes the set, when commercialized, will retail for about $3,000. We are still trying to confirm, but believe the set will use Texas Instrument's 1280 x 720 resolution HD-1 DLP chip set and produce on-screen contrast of 1000:1. Vestel is a major TV producer for the European and Middle East markets. This will be Vestel's first DLP-based product.

If all of the above is true, this will have a huge impact on the high-resolution TV market. After all, this same chip set is being used in HDTVs from Hitachi, Mitsubishi and Panasonic. While these sets have bigger screen diagonals, they are priced significantly higher too - from $12K to $15K.

This set is likely to raise eyebrows with LCOS HDTV makers too as 50 and 60-inch models are coming to market now for $7K to $13K.

TI appears to be making good on the promise it made at CES last January where it showed 43-inch prototypes and suggested the products could reach market at between $3,000 and $4,000.

The Vestel prototype set is apparently only 18 inches deep and weighs just 75 pounds. But the weight will drop to around 55 pounds and depth to 12 inches for production models. This size and weight are expected to be major advantages over competitive solutions. In addition, Vestel believes that the high brightness afforded by the DLP technology will allow the use of low gain screens - and hence, very wide viewing angles.

We hope to have more for the September issue of the Microdisplay Report, which should be available soon.

Best Wishes,

Chris Chinnock

Sr. Editor

Microdisplay Report

10 Winfield Street

Norwalk, CT 06851 USA

203-831-8404

203-838-8432 FAX

[email protected] www.mdreport.com
I hope it's true!

------------------

Huck

·
Premium Member
24,976 Posts
A DLP RPTV with mirror, screen, and cabinet has got to be more expensive to produce than a projector. Put in a brighter bulb, account for smaller sales volume of projectors, and call it a wash. Voila, a $3K HDTV projector.

------------------

Noah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.