AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worldcup soccer game will be begun this Friday night in Korea and Japan.

48 games among total 64 games will be recorded HDTV .

Korean broadcasting stations announced their HD program schedule.

43 games will be aired as HDTV(HDTV terrestrial Digital)

I heard 40 games will be broadcasted in HD in Japan ( digital satellite )

I am using MIT's My HD MDP-100 HDTV card under Window XP for

HDTV recording to D-VHS

I am sorry that only two countries' people can watch this wonderful event in HD.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm upset also; perhaps Mark Cuban can use his awesome powers to secure (post tournament if not realtime) the rights to broadcast these games; I'd love to see soccer in HD. This is really too bad.

Greg

·
Registered
936 Posts
To mr. cuban: if you can't make a deal with ABC to carry the games in HD, try univision. i don't mind watching them in spanish as long as they are in HD.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Actually Spanish commentators are way more exciting to listen to than the English ones. The fast spoken language and gooooooooooooooool adds to the broadcast.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why oh why can't the USA at least show their own country's matches in HD? If they can pull off the Olympics(Thanks Mark!), why not the best damn sporting event in the World.?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Quote:
Why oh why can't the USA at least show their own country's matches in HD? If they can pull off the Olympics(Thanks Mark!), why not the best damn sporting event in the World.?Why oh why can't the USA at least show their own country's matches in HD? If they can pull off the Olympics(Thanks Mark!), why not the best damn sporting event in the World.?
I'm sure Mark is trying, but it's not easy as we think.

Of all the great major HD sporting events Mark did with NBC, all were in the U.S., where Mark used his own HD trucks. Please don't expect those 2 trucks to be shipped over to Japan/Korea just like that. Besides, the trucks are needed for MLB baseball in June.

Tehnically, it can be done, because NHK and Korea are already doing it in HD, but HDnet has to secure the rights to the matches from ABC/ESPN (or the Spanish network) who owns the U.S broadcast rights. The price has to be right, afterall, HDnet is free, with no advertising income. In this case, ABC doesn't even need Mark. ABC only need to secure the footage from NHK and simply show it simulcast on their digital and analog stations. For the Olympics, NBC needed the HDnet equipment to do it, then had to allow Mark to simulcast on NBC digital and HDnet.

But if it can be done, it'll be fantastic. Remember the Salt Lake games? Keep dreaming !!! Or plan a trip to Japan.

·
Registered
687 Posts
If the US broadcast rights are language specific, why not bypass ABC/Univision completely and deal with NHK or the South Koreans directly? I wouldn't mind listening to the original Korean/Japanese audio.

Am I completely off-base here?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by epsilon
If the US broadcast rights are language specific, why not bypass ABC/Univision completely and deal with NHK or the South Koreans directly? I wouldn't mind listening to the original Korean/Japanese audio.

Am I completely off-base here?
Wow, that's a great idea. Maybe a late miracle will happen...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by romy101
Actually Spanish commentators are way more exciting to listen to than the English ones. The fast spoken language and gooooooooooooooool adds to the broadcast.
Sorry to report that Mr Goooooaaaal!, Andres Cantor, now works for the rival Telemundo network and will not be broadcasting the games on Univision.

I have watched several World Cups on Univision, and have always been amazed at the quality of the broadcasts; especially considering that, with the exception of a few games played in the USA, the voices emanated from a studio and not from the various venues.

The Univision TV schedule can be found at http://www.univision.com Look for "Mundial" (World Cup). They are doing many later the same day repeats on their Telefutura network, which I believe is available in some major Spanish language markets (WAMI in Miami). I don't know, but perhaps the repeats will also be on Univision.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe the problem is with Kirch Media, the German firm that is selling the international rights for the World Cup. Apparently they've been asking an arm and a leg for standard rights and I'm sure their asking price for HD was not cheap.

Nevertheless it's not clear why a deal couldn't be reached for PPV.

A great pity and I hope that the greedy people responsible for ths travesty lose their shirts.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Quote:
From Vic's link

News of the filing caused News Corp. shares to fall, and Rupert Murdoch was forced to issue a statement saying he had no plans to bail out Premiere World.

However, press reports noted that Murdoch is continuing to negotiate with Kirch over BSkyB’s 22 percent stake in Premiere World, and a possible increased state in KirchMedia.
It's comforting to know that Uncle Rupert has at least one hand on that wheel. I doubt he'll be in the car though if it smashes into a wall or goes off a cliff. Maybe he could help to assemble another "High Resolution" fallacy so the world can see how it's supposed to be done :rolleyes:

·
Registered
599 Posts
just wanted to say that today's opening match was a pleasure to watch on Univision. When they started their coverage, it was with sights and sounds around the Venues, not the "Team USA" story that was being shown on ESPN's coverage each time I flipped over.

I know its the same picture, but ESPNs is distored because of that crappy ticker at the bottom (and also has a ghost on my cable), plus you have the needless commentary by that idiot Irish twit on ESPN.

Spanish sounding HD would have been awesome.

Go Senegal - still 1-0 15 mins into 2nd half!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
The HD originating system is giving a far better NTSC downconvert than PAL. CBC is giving us the BBC announcers and life is good.

Still, may all those who contributed to the fact that there's no HD World Cup live a thousand lifetimes as dogs in India.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well did not know about Univision and had to watch the game on ESPN2.

What a crap picture! It was so bad on my Dish + Dscaler + LT150 that I had to turn it off and move to my badroom wit a 20" TV.

I'm not sure if I have Univision on my channels but ESPN2 with those crappy ticker at the bottom and top left is just a no, NO!

I'm going crazy because my wife have organized a big brunch next weekend having all our friends coming to watch Brasil X China on the big screen.

Interesting was that the image looked specially terrible (bright, fuzzy, defocused) from that main camera located on the center top of the stadium that shoiws the entire field. From those shoots one could not identify any player on the filed. Looked more like a bad video game. Cameras showing diferent angles and zooming on players were more acceptable.

For the next game, I'm planning to have my laptop connected to a brazilian Radio Station ( http://jovempan.uol.com.br/jpam/destaques/ouca/ ) on the internet and from there to the receiver so I can get better comments.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I set up my tivo to record all the games. She was up in the morning watching the first match on the spanish channel. When I fired uop the tivo this afternoon to play back from espn she commented how awful it looked (all by herself). She said the spanish feed looked like high def in comparison to the espn feed.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Univision is channel 270 on Dish. ESPN2's compression was definitely worse and I ended up switching. The ESPN2 telecast was also 10 seconds behind. UNI had no annoying ticker at the bottom, but wasn't without fault either: the score and ad graphics at the top of the screen were non-transparent (unlike the UNI logo which was barely noticeable). Ended up zooming in to cut them off, at the loss of some PQ.

And, to keep this on-topic, I wish the original poster would jump in and give us a report on the HD telecast picture and production quality.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.