AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone !

Considering the purchase of one of these two for my entertainment system.

I auditioned the Denon and like the sound and the unit overall but not sure after reading about the issues with updating firmware and outer issues , seems as though your spending more time trying to figure it out rather than enjoy it.

So far the Yammy seems decent the only two gripes i have is remembering it sound leans towards the cooler side but thats was checking them out like 8 or 9 years ago so , and I wish they would get rid of that tacky yellow display ,looks a little 80's to me.

Any experiences or thoughts welcome !

·
Registered
479 Posts
I too am considering Pio 07 v. Yammy RX-Z7 v. Denon 4308CI. Just had a PM from a guy who had the Yammy Z9 (its from 2004 I think) and did not like the sound so he sold it. Says he has the Denon 4308 and it sounds great!Says the on-line radio stations- ~550 of them- sound great on it- says it sounds like your in a club. It has wi-fi. I'd have to figure out how to do that, but will if I buy one. Yes the Denon 4308 has had a couple FW upgrades and I hate that too. It seems daunting to me. But I'll conquer it if I have to. I think it will be the 4308 for me. This one 4308 owner really raves about how it sounds. Believe me, I have READ! and I am sick of it. I, too, don't like the yellow and red display on the Yammies, at least in pix. I think I've made my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight /forum/post/15587273

Hi everyone !

Considering the purchase of one of these two for my entertainment system.

I auditioned the Denon and like the sound and the unit overall but not sure after reading about the issues with updating firmware and outer issues , seems as though your spending more time trying to figure it out rather than enjoy it.

So far the Yammy seems decent the only two gripes i have is remembering it sound leans towards the cooler side but thats was checking them out like 8 or 9 years ago so , and I wish they would get rid of that tacky yellow display ,looks a little 80's to me.

Any experiences or thoughts welcome !

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have the 4308ci and have had no problems to date, it is one of the first units, pre bought it before it hit the streets.

I have downloaded two firmware updates and the $100 Auddessey Dynamic Volume update since owning the unit. I have had zero problems. The network hooked up to my home wifi network with a little tweaking on my security, but was not that difficult. A direct ethernet connection to my network was immediately recognized, just type in my security code and all was a go. You cannot get much easier than that.

Setup was not that bad, though I did do a little hunting on AVS to help better understand what I was doing. And yes, the manual can be a bit confusing as well as the remotes. But, for what I bought and paid for, these are minor gripes, and would not stop me from purchasing another 4308ci or recommending the unit to others.

I am very happy with mine, and like I said, I would highly recommend this AVR.

Though I do have one recommendation, get the new Auddessy pack, with Dynamic volume control and set up. I believe it is included with new units though I could be wrong. That one upgrade made a difference, and was well worth the $100 I spent. The Rhapsody issue that I have read about really does not concern me, and I have no desire to mess with that. But from what I have read, it is more of a Rhapsody issue than a Denon problem.

Like I said, it is a great AVR. I am keeping mine.

Mike

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
In regards to updating firmware, I love that feature! And it is very easy to do. Just go to the setup menu, hit options and then upgrade firmware if memory serves me right. Hit upgrade and Denon does the rest. You cannot get any easier than that. You can stay and watch or leave the room, it takes up to 45 minutes in some cases, but no big deal. Just walk away and go do something else. Though I have read that there are issues with some ISP's and firmware. I believe Denon support has notes on these ISP's that do not play well with firmware updates. I'll see if I can find that info and post it, but it was a rare problem.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts