AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only use 5 channels currently. It is possible I would add two more for 7 down the road but no more than that. I like that the Denon has been around for a while, has a ton of reviews and a bit cheaper. The Onkyo seems to be a bit more future ready and if it is easy to use I would use it to access music on my HTPC as well as the pandora and rhapsody applications.


That said I am sure I am missing something, any thoughts ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
Well my short list was Onkyo 818, 1009, 3009 and Denon 4311ci. After weighting prices and options I went with the Onkyo 818. Under $1k, Audyssey XT 32, up to 9 channels with extra amp, more hdmi and other connections than I'll ever need, good power (135w), great video dual core upconverter. After reading and comparing IMO the Onkyo 818 is the way to go right now, even against the 1010 I'd pick the 818 just cause its cheaper and has 99.9% of what the 1010 has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
gtpsuper24


Are you running dual subs? I'm in a similar situation in that I'm considering those same receivers. I would lean towards the Onkyo 818, for its bang for the buck, but it does not have the subeq that the 3009 and 4311 has. I will be using 2 subs in my setup, and I was just wondering if that impacted your decision at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
Yes, I have dual subs. I just use a SPL meter and level match them before running Audyssey. I guess the only thing SubEQ does is just sets the level and distance of the second sub, I figured I'd save some and just level match it my self.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Hi wondering about onkyo, everyone seems to say they run hot, thinking about pioneer elite, did you compare these? Onkyo has had a lot of recent problems with heat and chips burning out, people placing fans on top etc. (I have 9 inch total in a built in for height)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by symphx  /t/1418337/4311ci-or-wait-for-the-onkyo-tx-nr1010/0_100#post_22300875


Hi wondering about onkyo, everyone seems to say they run hot, thinking about pioneer elite, did you compare these? Onkyo has had a lot of recent problems with heat and chips burning out, people placing fans on top etc. (I have 9 inch total in a built in for height)?

That is barely enough room to jam a receiver in and not give it proper ventilation. Any brand.


butter and jelly please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24  /t/1418337/4311ci-or-wait-for-the-onkyo-tx-nr1010/0_100#post_22183089


Well my short list was Onkyo 818, 1009, 3009 and Denon 4311ci. After weighting prices and options I went with the Onkyo 818. Under $1k, Audyssey XT 32, up to 9 channels with extra amp, more hdmi and other connections than I'll ever need, good power (135w), great video dual core upconverter. After reading and comparing IMO the Onkyo 818 is the way to go right now, even against the 1010 I'd pick the 818 just cause its cheaper and has 99.9% of what the 1010 has.

Dual core is this years models, not last years. Unnecessary heat added with dual core when the single cores are powerful enough to do the one or two jobs.


butter and jelly please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarks  /t/1418337/4311ci-or-wait-for-the-onkyo-tx-nr1010/0_100#post_22182947


I only use 5 channels currently. It is possible I would add two more for 7 down the road but no more than that. I like that the Denon has been around for a while, has a ton of reviews and a bit cheaper. The Onkyo seems to be a bit more future ready and if it is easy to use I would use it to access music on my HTPC as well as the pandora and rhapsody applications.


That said I am sure I am missing something, any thoughts ?

If you're considering the 1010, why not look at the 3009? I know they juiced up the 1010 this year, but the 3009 does all it can do, is a little beefier, about same price and proven so far. The 4311 is also a good choice but getting harder to come by these days.


butter and jelly please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon  /t/1418337/4311ci-or-wait-for-the-onkyo-tx-nr1010#post_22300921


Dual core is this years models, not last years. Unnecessary heat added with dual core when the single cores are powerful enough to do the one or two jobs.

butter and jelly please.

818 does have dual core chip. Dual Core Video Engine with HQV Vida (1080p) and Marvell Qdeo™ (4K) Processing, right from Onkyos site. I can say that the 818 seems to run cooler than the older 605 and 705.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24  /t/1418337/4311ci-or-wait-for-the-onkyo-tx-nr1010/0_100#post_22301668

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukemon  /t/1418337/4311ci-or-wait-for-the-onkyo-tx-nr1010#post_22300921


Dual core is this years models, not last years. Unnecessary heat added with dual core when the single cores are powerful enough to do the one or two jobs.

butter and jelly please.

818 does have dual core chip. Dual Core Video Engine with HQV Vida (1080p) and Marvell Qdeo™ (4K) Processing, right from Onkyos site. I can say that the 818 seems to run cooler than the older 605 and 705.

Now that I read it like that it is very misleading. Is it dual core of each chip, or are they trying to pull a fast one with two different chips for different tasks and calling it dual core? Because I have dual core too on last years model if you put it like that.



butter and jelly please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,069 Posts
Yes it is misleading. I'm not sure if each is a dual core or if they consider the two together as a dual core. I can say it seems to do a fine job up upconverting digital cable channels that are in 480 (big improvement) and seems to improve normal 1080i HD channels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I am curently comparing the NR818 against the NR1010. My subs are built in to my Def Tech 8060 floor speakers.

If someone with a lot more experience than me can respond as to which model would be a better choice
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,765 Posts
On the fence as well between a 4311 and 818... I do have dual subs and nver really owned a high end receiver or speakers.. I have a full set of Martin logan motion series speakers in my basement. It is for a 7.2 Setup theater room... I can get the 818 and save almost 500 bucks and not get the dual sub eq or pay the extra 500 for the denon 4311 and get it... Any suggestions..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
I finally ended up going with the Denon 4311 over the 818. With current prices, the 4311 is only about $300 more than the 818, and I plan on running running 9 channels, and with the 4311, I don't have to get a separate amp. The 4311 also has AirPlay along with subseq, assignable amps and other features the 818 doesn't have. So the cost of getting a separate amp for the 9 channels, the price advantage of the 818 is negated.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top