AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new HK 435 and ran EzSet/EQ several times. I have NHT 1.5 speakers for front right and left, an NHT SuperCenter (?) for center and NHT SuperOnes for the side surrounds. No back surrounds. I have an HSU STF-2 sub. I have a few questions regarding EZSet:

1. The first time I ran EZSet, it changed my speakers to Large with crossover at 40. It recognized the sub and set the crossover at 80. I cannot find any of the documentation from the speakers (and probably wouldn't fully understand it anyway) so I am not sure where to set the crossover for the NHTs. I thought that they should all be set as Small but I didn't know where to set the crossover in the Manual Setup so I have put it at 80 for now. Does anyone have an idea where the crossover should be set and whether I should use Large or Small?

2. When they are set to Small, the sub option cannot be changed from Sub. Is this correct?

3. My side surrounds are on either side of the couch on the floor since there are no side walls. They are approximately 6 feet from the sweet spot but EZSet insists on setting the delay at 13 feet. I have left it there for now.

4. I have the sub volume knob at approximately 10:00 (less than 1/2). EZSet set the sub channel to -10. I am not sure that I am hearing enough bass. I haven't played any dvds yet which would have room-shaking bass but it sounds softer than previously.

5. I used an SPL meter to check the EZSet settings and found that the channel volumes were very close to the SPL meter settings. I tweaked just a bit.

I have read through all of the threads dealing with the 635/435 EzSet setup, which were very helpful. I just need some clarification regarding setting the crossovers and the speaker size as well as the presumed lack of bass.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah... I had a 435. It was spot on a distance and crossover detection. But, like you said, seemed to trim my bass quite a bit. I guess I like it bass heavy as I do a SPL check with my other prepro-amp setup, and my bass is about 5db higher than my mains (that 75 db level setting routine - but leave bass at about 80). However, it also has to do with I watch TV more than movies with my system. Dolby digital is much stronger on bass passages where the 75 db setting would be about right I think.

I was also disturbed that prologic II and dts:neo6 sounded like crap in comparison to Logic 7 (which is heavier in bass I think). But on my prepro now, prologic II sounds awesome. I use a Meridian 561 and Adcom 100x5 amp (why no props for adcom?! have tried many a amp and think they are so underrated in forums)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Lisa, did you do the firmware upgrade yet? If not, I would do it first thing because you will loose all your settings once you do (don't want to tweak twice).

When you ran EzSet/EQ, did you follow MCodes recommendations (tripod, ear level for far field, 3ft for near level, volume 28 etc)?

regarding your sub I would turn the volume down a bit and turn any crossover off before running EzSet/EQ.

with the delay settings of my surrounds I had no luck either (far off) so I corrected them manually.

Overall it's a lot trial and error and took me quite some time to get to the sound I wanted... but it's worth it! the avr435 is very nice and I love it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I did the firmware update as soon as the receiver arrived. Luckily, it went fine.

I held the microphone (no tripod) at ear level for far field and at 3 feet for near field but I kept the volume at -35 as indicated in both the manual and the on screen instructions. Should I change it to -28?

Once I know what to set the mains at (Small or Large and which crossover), I will run EZSet again turning down the volume knob on the sub.

So far, the sound coming from the center speaker (with Logic 7 Cinema locked as the last surround mode) is much better than with my old Denon 3200.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Info on NHT 1.5 I got is they are bookshelf speakers with a freq. response of 53 - 25000 hz so I would set them to small with crossover at 60 or better 80hz.

Try to get a hold of a tripod (cheap ones you can get for under 20 bucks) - it really helps to get more accurate results.

Regarding the volume set there were some misinformation in the manual - try it next time with 28 as MCode recommended.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks...I will play with this tonight with these settings at -28. I'm sure it will make a difference. I will also pick up a tripod tomorrow. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have not tried EZSet/EQ yet, I will as soon as I update the firmware on my 435. I was wondering where on the volume dial does EZSet set reference level? With an SPL meter and DVE/VE/Avia I set it at -5dB and adjusted speaker levels to reach 75dB, 85dB for Avia.

Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I re-ran EZSet tonight and inputted the info for the Small mains and surrounds and a crossover at 80 for all except the center, which I put at 100. EzSet still set the delay incorrectly for my surrounds so I corrected those. For some reason, it set the channel level for my sub at -10 and I could barely hear it. I bumped it up to -6 and will use an SPL meter tomorrow to see if this is close to correct. At -10, I was hearing practically no bass. Am I correct in doing this?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry to hear you still have troubles... EzSet/EQ is sometimes real tricky - above all if your room accoustics are difficult (in my case having a huge sliding glass door and a window doesn't make things easier). Therefore I use EzSet/EQ as a starting point and change settings (delay, speaker size) manually if they don't fit.

regarding your sub I guess you turned it up a little to much... for right now I would turn up the channel setting to around 0 and turn down the volume on the sub itself and then check it with the spl meter. Listen to it for a while and whenever you feel like it try EzSet/EQ again (with a little different position of the micro, point the micro a little closer to the tweeter of your front/center speaker etc). and see if you like it.

one more thing: it's recommended to reset the avr before running EzSet/EQ again (in standby push "surr mode" and "tun mode"on the front panel the same time).

despite the trouble of setting it up I love the 435 - once you tweaked everything it sound really awesome :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My room acoustics are likely strange: I have a living room which is open to both a hallway and a dining room and has a wall of floor to ceiling windows. After I ran EzSet a few times, I reset the speaker size, which the avr now recognizes when EzSet is run in manual. It never gets the delay right for the surrounds, so I manually set those too.

I had put the volume on the sub itself to around 10:00 before running EzSet, which then set the channel volume on the receiver to -10. I have never reset the avr before running EzSet and will do so the next time. So you think I should first turn down the volume on the sub itself to about 9:00 before running EzSet again? I know that the sub is "on" since it sounds when running EzSet yet I don't hear much bass when everything is set up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What I meant is setting the sub to a level that when you run EzSet it will set the sub level to around -2 to + 2. Once you've got that you can turn up the volume of the sub to a level you like. I am not an expert by any means - just how I got IMHO a pretty good soundstage ;)

Your room looks like is really not an easy task for your receiver...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I believe -10db is the maximum channel attenuation, so if your sub channel

adjustment was set to -10 after an EzSet/EQ run, you probably need to

tune down your sub volume to let it fall within the range - otherwise, chances

are, it needs to be adjusted to -12db but -10 is as far as it can go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM
My room acoustics are likely strange: I have a living room which is open to both a hallway and a dining room and has a wall of floor to ceiling windows. After I ran EzSet a few times, I reset the speaker size, which the avr now recognizes when EzSet is run in manual. It never gets the delay right for the surrounds, so I manually set those too.

I had put the volume on the sub itself to around 10:00 before running EzSet, which then set the channel volume on the receiver to -10. I have never reset the avr before running EzSet and will do so the next time. So you think I should first turn down the volume on the sub itself to about 9:00 before running EzSet again? I know that the sub is "on" since it sounds when running EzSet yet I don't hear much bass when everything is set up.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
LISA..

EzSet/EQ assumes the subwoofer level is at its midpoint..

However subwoofer output can/will increase when in a corner or against a wall, this varies widely from room to room..

A suggestion..

Would be to do a Processor Reset..

Sets everything back to out of the box defaults, set the parameters you have already agreed upon such as x-over frequency points. Then run EZSet/EQ in the Manual mode..

Also be sure to keep the microphone @ ear level for Far Field measurements and set the Master Volume @ -28dB..

Hope that helps.. ;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
M Code, my sub is in a corner. One time when I ran EzSet, I set the sub volume knob to midpoint and lowered the Master Volume to -28. There was an onscreen message indicating that the volume was too high and to reset it lower in order to proceed. Have you seen that type of message?

I will do the processor reset tonight, set the volume knob to midpoint, set the crossover and speaker sizes and rerun in Manual. I have been keeping the mike at ear level for the far field measurements throughout.

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will a Processor Reset also mean that I have to go in and re-label the inputs, etc...? I suspect that it does.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Quote:
Will a Processor Reset also mean that I have to go in and re-label the inputs, etc...? I suspect that it does.
Lisa..

Yes..

The Processor Reset brings the AVR back to the out of box defaults..

The reason why I suggest that is the HK AVRs have unique setup software and often things get set differently, this brings everything back to square 1. And though one needs to go back into the menus the 2nd or 3rd time the user is more familiar with things so they go faster..

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did the Processor Reset, set the speaker crossover manually and ran EZSet at -28, etc... This time, EZSet set the sub to -3 (instead of -10). It still got the delay for the surrounds wrong, which I fixed manually. I am going to listen tonight and tomorrow and see how everything sounds. If I find that I still need more bass, do I turn up the knob on the sub or do I adjust the channel volume for the sub through the receiver?

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Quote:
I did the Processor Reset, set the speaker crossover manually and ran EZSet at -28, etc... This time, EZSet set the sub to -3 (instead of -10). It still got the delay for the surrounds wrong, which I fixed manually. I am going to listen tonight and tomorrow and see how everything sounds. If I find that I still need more bass, do I turn up the knob on the sub or do I adjust the channel volume for the sub through the receiver?
LISA..

If you need more level from the subwoofer, consider the following:

1. Bring the subwoofer level of the AVR435 up 3dB to 0 dB..

2. Now How is the subwoofer level?

a. Still low.. then increase the level on the subwoofer amplifier/cabinet itself..

Depending upon brand/model of your subwoofer, if it has its own X-over frequency control set this to the highest frequency.. Next assuming you have achieved a good starting point for the subwoofer level setting..

Play different types of program material and DSP modes, this can change as different media are produced will varying subwoofer levels.. depending upon the final mixing/production engineer.. Also note that HK provides the option of having different subwoofer level setting by DSP mode.. different for Dolby Digital, DTS, or Logic 7

For example, for movie DVDs w/Dolby Digital 5.1 the subwoofer level setting may be a tweak low.. While in the Dolby Digital mode go into the Channel Adjust menu and subwoofer bring it up slightly..

Or you may be playing a music CD through Logic 7 Music and have too much bass, just go into the Channel Adjust menu and subwoofer bring it down a notch..

Hope that helps.. :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks very much, M Code. I am going to try out various movies, tv shows, etc... when I return from my trip and I will report back.

Much appreciated. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.