Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone -

newbie questions here regarding the DLP tweaking. I was in on the powerbuy, got the 437 and am happy with it, especially DVDs. I hope to be high def capable in a few months when I upgrade my DirecTV, but for now I am hooked up with s-video cable from an RCA surround sound DirecTV receiver. When I do upgrade, I will probably get everything truly calibrated.

In the meantime, with DirecTV, I am noticing a lot of the pq issues discussed here especially the "clay look" on people's faces. Darker programming does not look as good as lighter programming, though often if the program looks flawed, the accompanying commercials look fine. I have been reading the service menu tweaking information, and most of that is a little over my head. This leads to my questions:

Are there a few short term tweaks to improve things slightly? Can I mess up the tv by going into the service menu and making a wrong adjustment? Once in the service menu,

is it a matter of changing settings as outlined in this forum, or do I need computer/calibration equipment? If I upgrade to component video, will that alone show some improvement?

Thanks for any advice. This forum has been a great resource!

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
The biggest upgrade is going to a better DirecTV tuner that has DVI output. Short of that, not much effort has been devoted to tweaking for S-Video input sources. You certainly CAN mess things up in the service menu, but no permanent harm is likely if you write down the default settings before you start changing them. Note that the settings vary for different input sources, so you need to record them for each one, i.e. S-Video, 480p component, 480i component, DVI etc. You don't need computer/calibration equipment to follow the tweaks others are doing, but you may not get the exact result either.

I think at this early stage for you, with S-Video source, you should work on your treaking from the USER menu, i.e. tint and color, tone. Just my $0.02

Tom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom. I have tweaked some User menu settings, but I think I still need to do more. I probably will at the very least get component video, and maybe at that point look in the service menu.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.