AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the 43HX71 hasn't been released yet, so this may still be a mystery, but Im curious what this display will do with a 16:9 480p signal from a progressive scan DVD player (or game system). Will it allow vertical compression when driven at 480p? If so, will it up convert it to 540p or to 810i (saw that number on a website somewhere) or 1080i? This 4x3 unit seems like the perfect set for me, as I don't want to watch stretched television and I especially dont want to play stretched videogames, but I want to appreciate my dvd's in all their anamorphic, progressivley scanned glory. Id appreciate any info. Thanks!

------------------

Remember Sammy Jankis.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Actually, the jury is still out on anamorphic DVD support for Toshiba's 2001 4:3 sets.

For HD material though (and this is certain), you can either vertically compress to a 1080i 16:9 format, or letterbox to a 810i 16:9 window with grey bars top and bottom. In the letterbox mode, the TV will slowly scroll the image up and down to prevent phosphor burn-in.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
www.nbtelectronics.com

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
The jury has a verdict!

The user manual for the 4:3 sets have been posted at http://tacpservice.toshiba.com/Consu...V/2001tvct.htm and has this to say:

"You can view programs that have conventional TV picture format (4:3 aspect ratio) and the wide-screen format (16:9 aspect ratio). This feature is available for 1080i digital broadcasts and 480p/480i DVD signals connected to the ColorStream HD1 and HD2 jacks."

Actually, I can see no mention of the letterbox scrolling feature, so perhaps this has been removed.

------------------

John Golitsis

Next Big Thing Electronics

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada www.nbtelectronics.com

[This message has been edited by JohnnyG (edited 09-05-2001).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for going the extra mile, JohnnyG. This set seems like just what I was looking for...I was considering the Sony 43HS10 but I heard bad things about the DRC line doubler. Will you give up your impressions of this set when it comes in?

------------------

Remember Sammy Jankis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.