AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am a newbie setting up projector in my basement for HT / Sports / Kids videos. Considering Piano, New InFocus machine, Sharp XV9000, Sanyo PLV60HT, LT150. Room has 3 small windows, which I can cover with shades. BUT - for sports and kids videos would like to have some amount of ambient light to avoid spills, falls. Will use a 100 inch screen - sit about 14 feet away.

My question (esp to those veterans who have owned several projectors) .... Is 450 lumens sufficient - or will I have trouble watching football with buddies if we keep on enough light to avoid spilling the beer .......

Thanks ...

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Hi Chuck,

450 will not do it for you...typically 1000 ANSI or more for your application....a gray screen will also help reject ambient light and give you a better picture..

Regards,

john

·
Registered
54 Posts
FWIW, I've got an old Ifocus lp330 with 600Lumens, and I can watch sports with the lights on, however, may situation may be much different than yours. My projector is in the basement, with little ambient light--none at night. I've also got canister lights in my ceiling. I simply unscrew the bulbs that are located in front of where I'm sitting, leaving ample light behind all sitting areas, so you can still see and talk to the guys while you're watching games, you don't spill your drinks, etc. The image isn't perfect, and certainly could be brighter, but then again, NTSC images aren't great to begin with, and overall it's a very acceptable alternative to having complete darkness while watching the game. I'm really not a fan of sitting in entire darkness to watch sports when the sun is still out, just seems kind of strange. Anyway, hope this helps.

Brad Johnson

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.