AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when the Replay 4500 will be available?

They're FINALLY offering cable modem in my area, and I have to upgrade my 2020 to a 4000 or 4500 so I can get rid of my phone line. The new Replay TV pays for itself that way.

A 4504 will definitely pay for itself faster than a 4080 though, but I can't wait more than a week or two.

Anyone know anything about the availability date?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Curiuos, where did you hear June. What do you think the chances are it will play music (mp3, wav)

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
388 Posts
My initial order of 4504s are supposed to be shipped by Sonicblue on 22 May. If that happens, I expect that I will have it in a week. I have an non-confidential retail price list that confirms that the 4500 prices are indeed $250 lower than the 4000s. Still no official word on the subscription pricing but the $250 lifetime seems to be lock. I think their on-line registration software is still not ready.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuy
A source at Sonic Blue. Playing mp3 music would be cool but may compete with another Sonic Blue product.
Another more expensive Sonic Blue product.

And, their head dude is already on record pooh-pooing "do all" boxes, so I doubt we're going to see this sort of thing anytime soon, as nice (and as appropriate) as it would be.

Then again, I'm not sure that I'd want to dedicate all my 4040's disk space to MP3s, since that's about how many I have right now. (And I still have about 60-70 ZBS discs that I haven't even begun to rip yet...)

·
Registered
888 Posts
FWIW, I think not implementing MP3 is dumb.

Sure, maybe it will canablize the sales of their extremely expensive dedicated MP3 products but it will also hurt the sales of MP3 devices from other vendors and it will help to justify the price difference between the 4500 and the new tivos.

Then there are the people who think, "What the hell, I just paid $500 for one box from Sonic Blue, why should I give them another $500+ for an MP3 player? I will just stick with what I've got." (That man speaking there, by the way, is me. I'm happy to keep using my htpc for mp3 playback. I'd like a nice tv interface to help with the WAF, but I ain't spending beacoup bucks on it, not with the replay already sitting in the rack).

·
Registered
114 Posts
I thought I remembered a press release a few months ago saying the new Replay products were going to be cheaper than the competition? If the bundle of service and product is the same as the price of a 4000, a Replay 40 hour unit will continue to be $50 more expensive than the Tivo2 60 hour.

Or perhaps those comments were made with the knowledge there is more rebate silliness afoot.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Jah, I agree 100%. If the 4k absolutely cannot do it fine, but I will never believe it.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jah-Wren Ryel
FWIW, I think not implementing MP3 is dumb.

Sure, maybe it will canablize the sales of their extremely expensive dedicated MP3 products but it will also hurt the sales of MP3 devices from other vendors and it will help to justify the price difference between the 4500 and the new tivos.
How? MP3 Storage is one of the announced features of Series II receivers (not yet delivered as I recall).

Quote:
Then there are the people who think, "What the hell, I just paid $500 for one box from Sonic Blue, why should I give them another $500+ for an MP3 player? I will just stick with what I've got." (That man speaking there, by the way, is me. I'm happy to keep using my htpc for mp3 playback. I'd like a nice tv interface to help with the WAF, but I ain't spending beacoup bucks on it, not with the replay already sitting in the rack).
I agree with you here.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Personally I don't want my MP3's on some large stationary box... a PeeCee or an extra laptop does that bit just fine. I'd rather Riot/NBJ/iPod my collections to have them @ my disposal wherever I may roam.

Portable and personal is how I do music files these days. No big reason to sacrifice video capacity for this, but the option is great for those who want it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree 100% with Kenl, but would like to see audiotron like functionality (stream music from LAN & internet) to a replay box -> Stereo receiver (TOSLINK). I have all my mp3's on a Linux box running samba, storing mp3 anywhere but a PC / server is a waste of $$$!

(RandyL712, pu82, etc)

Where are are you guys hearing about releases dates and delays of new Replay boxes?

Thanks for all the great info!

Steve

·
Registered
388 Posts
For sales related questions, please e-mail or PM me directly. I do not want to discuss sales on this forum, only technology.

Thamks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.