AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yikes! Just received my 4504, plugged it into the LAN, went thru setup, everything seems just fine. It sees my existing 4080 on the network, even displays the Replay Guide contents of the 4080. BUT when I ask the 4500 to play a show stored on the 4080, it barfs & says "unable to contact remote machine. Please verify machine is connected to network... etc". (Same for my SwapDV computer, BTW).

I know jtl and others hinted this may be the case, given they've changed the encryption protocol in 4.3. But nowhere have I seen it stated explicitly, either here or in any SB material, that the 4000s and 4500s are currently incompatible!

Someone else please try this, and tell me I'm wrong..... arrrghh...

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yep, just confirmed w/ SB tech support. Until 4.3 is released for 4000s they will be unable to share video to/from any 4500 unit. Tech person said he was told 2-3 weeks before 4.3 gets rolled out. I asked him to PLEASE post a FAQ or warning or something official on the SB web site about this asap.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
you'd be crazy to try, IMHO -- on first bootup, 4.3 will update the ROM with one that looks like it won't boot 4.1. If something goes wrong or sonicblue changes some details before moving 4000s to 4.3, you could easily end up with a $1000 doorstop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure if this is related, but I recently received a replacement 4320 for a broken one. It worked fine, then a few days ago exhibited the same behavior you described. Last night I went to the setup page on both machines, internet settings, and just skipped through the boxes again (I did not change, or even re-enter the previous settings). When I hit "Continue", it goes through it's "connecting to server..." routine, then both boxes started working normally. I can't explain why (just as I can't explain why they quit working originally), but it might be worth a try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.