AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to hook up a 4500 (any day now) to a little network in the house without more cables. Linksys has a system that uses the powerlines with USB and/or ethernet. Anyone know if it's not OK to use the USB adapter on the PC & the 10/100 on the ReplayTV? My NIC port goes to the Sprint Broadband internet dish. Do I need a router & skip the USB altogether? Tech support at SB & Linksys were not real confident but thought it would work OK with USB at one end & ethernet at the other.


Won't be doing file sharing on the net. This is mostly for editing videos & putting on DVD etc. I'm trying to keep it simple to match my consciousness. :)


Thanks, Iaen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
If you go to the Replay site you can look at the manual for hook up guidance.


I'm getting the router myself. If you go through the PC you're going to have to leave your PC on all the time. The router will also make your computer invisible on line. Most come with bult in firewalls. Link-sys makes one. D-link makes one. I'm not sure about the speed on power line networking. I saw one in my search that included wireless, ethernet, phoneline and powerline capabilities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuy
Linksys power networking max speed is 14Mbs max. half duplex. Expect 8Mbs in real life on average.
Wouldn't that be slow? (I mean, I'm running a 100Mb full duplex lan connected to a 100Mb half duplex cable router to the Internet)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Serra



Wouldn't that be slow? (I mean, I'm running a 100Mb full duplex lan connected to a 100Mb half duplex cable router to the Internet)


Yes but much faster than wireless 802.11b which may only get you at best 5.5 Mbs half duplex in real life.


Your 100Mb setup may only get you around 75Mbs. ReplayTVs max out at around 28Mbp. \\Your internet connection is probably about 1Mb on average downstream and 128Kbs upstream.


I do not know what the minimum for video streaming is. The best bet is not to be scared and go to Home Depot and buy a really long drill bit and run CAT 5e cable. There are drill bits that drill through most anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuy




Yes but much faster than wireless 802.11b which may only get you at best 5.5 Mbs half duplex in real life.


Your 100Mb setup may only get you around 75Mbs. ReplayTVs max out at around 28Mbp. \\Your internet connection is probably about 1Mb on average downstream and 128Kbs upstream.


I do not know what the minimum for video streaming is. The best bet is not to be scared and go to Home Depot and buy a really long drill bit and run CAT 5e cable. There are drill bits that drill through most anything.
5.5 would be the theoretical fastest speed at half. In reality, expect no more than half that. A wall, a TV, your dog....all could affect the speed. Wireless is great for a lot of things, but streaming video from here to there isn't one of them.


Just my $0.02 worth,

Matthew in CO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech



5.5 would be the theoretical fastest speed at half. In reality, expect no more than half that. A wall, a TV, your dog....all could affect the speed. Wireless is great for a lot of things, but streaming video from here to there isn't one of them.


Just my $0.02 worth,

Matthew in CO.
Matthew, I stand corrected. Either way 802.11b is not the way to go for streaming.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top