AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing through the support section at SonicBlue and noticed they now have 4500 manuals. I just downloaded it but have not looked at it yet.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
They're at http://www.sonicblue.com/support/replaytv/4500.asp

Is there a link that page somewhere, or did you guess the URL too?

At first glance, the FAQs seem to be copies of the 4000 FAQs, with a search & replace done, with an added section on hooking up to a phone line, and a new Service Activation FAQ.

need the service "for your box to operate"

10 day grace period, after using using the service, before the box disables itself.

$250 activation

no fee for pre-4500s

activation follows the box, if sold

service replacements get the old unit's activation

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's linked on the support site just as the 4000 series is. I thumbed through the manual. It looks pretty much the same as the 4000 manual with just few additions for phone line stuff.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Did you notice anything...odd...about the manual?

Like, say, all the heading text being upside down?

I'm not seeing anything else new either, but the fact that I've not ever read the 4000 manual, combined with headings I can't read, isn't helping.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's strange mine looks fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The 4500 manual has a much more comprehensive section about network connections than the 4000 manual. There's also a helpful Remote Control Shortcuts section beginning on page 54.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
My 4040 I ordered from amazon.com came in this morning and I just opened the 4040 box. It comes with a phone cord and a CAT 5 cable. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
All the 4000s have included phone cords.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does this mean the 4500s are identical to the 4000s but with a modem for daily calls and the subscription being separate? Anything else?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The 4000s have the modems, too, actually. They've just been disabled.

ReplayPatrick posted a while back that the 4000 and 4500 hardware was identical, that the 4000s would be getting the same software as the 4500 at some point, and that the differences were the subscription model and one unannounced feature. The smart money is that the unannounced feature was enabling the modem -- nobody's picked anything else out in the manual and FAQ so far, at least.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was secretly hoping for a better remote but that ain't it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was hoping the feature would be myreplaytv instant updates, and I'm still holding out hope as that change might not need to be in the manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.