AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between the prices of 4500's vs. 4K's?

And why is there no 160 hour model 4500?

Aren't all of these prices way too high?

I own four PVR's and after a 3-year test drive I have decided that without question, the Replay folks make the best PVR, so I really don't see myself buying enything else, unless the 721 really comes out of the chute blazin'.

(Sorry...the other 4500 thread was just getting out of hand).

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomCat
What is the difference between the prices of 4500's vs. 4K's?

Aren't all of these prices way too high?
4500's will apparently will be priced the same as the equivalent 4XXX's taking into account the service fee breakout.

The pricing is way too high for me and appears to be about $150. more than equivalent sized Series 2 TiVo's. SB is selling ReplayTV's techie features over TiVo's more mainstream approach.

I'm more in the market for a 721 if the new EPG is catchy, it works reliably, and it becomes available for significantly less than its advertised list price of $550. the same price as TiVo with service.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
...(Sorry...the other 4500 thread was just getting out of hand).
Was this one tame enough? ;)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
$150 for:

- Commercial Advance

- Broadband (which means...)

-- Sharing

-- Archiving

-- Instant Control

- VGA output

- Up to 320 hours without breaking warranty

Seems like a fair price to me

·
Registered
712 Posts
Seems to me there should be a price-break for using broadband. Also seems to me that it will come down to the price. IMO SB has a long haul ahead of them trying to convince sales drones from CC or BB to sell Replay as advanced technology and convince people who don't know a lot about the technology to spend $150 more.

I think the typical sales drone will push what he knows will sell and that will be the cheaper unit. It will come down to the sales drone saying "well, they both record shows, on one you hit 'ff' and on the other it can be automatic" and the wife will say "Harold, let's just get the cheaper one, it works the same as a VCR and we don't have broadband anyway... whatever that is..." But if the monthly subscription was less for broadband Harold could have said "yeah, but we'll make up the savings on the broadband I wanted to buy..." but without any savings, Harold will clam up and just get the cheaper one because at least he gets one, and Tivo gets more market share. JMHO!

(I know a lot of Harolds)

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Having worked at BB and CC:

We sold more high end RPTV's than low end

We sold more High end speakers than low end

We sold more high end computers than low end

We sold more high end receivers than low end

My point? At CC (commission sales) if the spiffs are high enough, salespeople push the expensive stuff. At BB (non-commission but bonuses for extended warranties) we knew that people would be more likely to spend the $50 to protect their new $3750 TV than they would the $899 loss leader in the paper.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Broadband's an interesting case, where it costs less for the provider (over time, at least) but provides more benefit. Maybe the base price should be slightly ($30-$50) higher, but the subscription fee less.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I just ordered my 4040 and I paid full price. Yes, I am paying a gigantic gadget factor on this one but that is my vice (hence my name). My Showstopper has been hacked to 100hrs for about a year now. It does what I need it to do, time shift shows I like without having to remember to set the VCR and dealing with video tape. So why did I order a 4040 which has less storage and cost twice as much? Because it is really cool. That's why! Everyone should order one or two or more ReplayTVs :D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
$150 for:

- Commercial Advance

- Broadband (which means...)

-- Sharing

-- Archiving

-- Instant Control

- VGA output

- Up to 320 hours without breaking warranty

Seems like a fair price to me
So for $150 more you get 320 hours without breaking a warranty? How exactly do you do that?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
So for $150 more you get 320 hours without breaking a warranty? How exactly do you do that?
See, you've gotta' respond to stupid mistatements of facts, incomplete satements, or fallacies of logic every time you see them!

But, to nipick, he did say "up to" and you're just yanking chains and being cute.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
To nitpick right back at you, there are plenty of times I do not respond to the "stupid mistatements of facts, incomplete satements, or fallacies of logic " that I see here. If I did, I'd have more posts than KenL... :)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arjay
...But, to nipick, he did say "up to" and you're just yanking chains and being cute.
arjay perhaps you have some twisted notion of cute?

But this is likely more what TomCat had in mind for the thread?

He could've saved time and just put "TiVo" directly in the title? TiVo... code word for Trouble In Vitro OutroLLo or : outside the living body and in an artificial environment :D

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
arjay perhaps you have some twisted notion of cute?
Cute adj. 1. attractive, esp. in a dainty way. 2. affectedly or mincingly pretty or clever; precious. 3. mentally keen; clever; shrewd.

Take yer pick.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Ok "in a dainty way" maybe... attractive? I think not. And just forget #3!

It's quite possible yanking chains is "cuter" with the sense of Joe Sixpak or the force of Dr. Curmudgeon behind it?

Now it's always "affectedly or mincingly pretty or clever" to mention user KenL early and often!

Just proves mentioned user is very nearly as important as that other bigwig who goes by the poetic acronym "arjay"! http://www.plauder-smilies.de/yellows/talker.gif

·
Registered
826 Posts
If the Amazon offer I've responded to is indeed correct. . .$450 including activation fee. . .then I'll predict that Amazon, alone, will sell more 4500s than all of the 4000 models already on the market. Come Christmas we might be talking more units than are on the market period. . .because by that time Buy.com; ecost, etc etc will all be jumping in with every retail store on the market.

Sitting in this forum we have a hard time remembering we're a bit like those guys that bought the first Atari's and Comodore 64s. Hell I am that guy. Spent $400 for a floppy disc drive that held 320K and thought I had the world on a string. . .

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Sigh... it's a MISPRINT. There is a $250 activation fee.

Anyway, it's like when you see the big CD bin at Circuit City with the price $0.99 in HUGE print... so you snatch up 20-30 of them and get rung up, only to see that they're all $5.99, because there was a little "as low as" above the price.

I did say "up to" because you get up to 320 hours with Replay. For $150 more, you get 40 hours.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
Was this one tame enough? ;)
Not hardly. (Where's my gavel?)

Lots of talk. Pretty much all of it OT. Lots of information. Pretty much none of it answering the questions posed. Hope you all enjoyed yourselves. I'll just wait until both hit the market, I guess.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Quote:

Not hardly. (Where's my gavel?)

Lots of talk. Pretty much all of it OT. Lots of information. Pretty much none of it answering the questions posed. Hope you all enjoyed yourselves. I'll just wait until both hit the market, I guess.
How were you expecting to get real answers to those questions before Sonicblue makes real announcements?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.