AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose you buy a 4500 but don't pay for the $250 service subscription. Will it still be able to stream shows recorded & stored on a Replay 4000 elsewhere on your home network? You'd record all shows on the (subscribed) 4000 box, and basically use the 4500 as a cheaper "network client" for viewing in another room. Would this work?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Well nobody has a final 4500 unit yet to comment but I don't see why your scenario would not work. You would miss the benefit of having the second box for recording conflicts. I would imagine an X-box could be made into a cheap client with the proper software and play games to boot.;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
on this FAQ, it does not say how much it is for monthly.

Does anyone know if it is even an option ?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It's pretty clearly not an option now. Several people remember seeing statements that the flat fee would come first, then a monthly option later in the year, but (as far as I know) nobody's been able to track those statements down again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
A while back I remember seeing that too, but like you say it can't be found again.. so I guess we will see if they do or not..

Still kind of odd that the 4500 is $150 more than a Tivo w/ the same space 40hr is $299 and a 60hr is $399..

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The only semi-official comment I can find here about the 4500 is ReplayPatrick's post at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=137586 . He explicitely doesn't comment on any pricing issues.

Replay's 4/25 press release doesn't give any indication whether the subscription would be monthly, lifetime, annual, an option, or what. In fact, all the speculation I can find was that there would be definitely be monthly, with some people worried there wouldn't be lifetime or annual -- see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=136828 for one example of that.

Next up -- rereading court filings!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The only thing I can find in the court docs that's at all relevant is from the Supplemental declaration of Philippe Pignon:
Quote:
ReplayTV has two current software development projects underway. Project 4.3 involves a software update to the current ReplayTV 4000 hardware platform. It will include the functionality for the subscription-fee-based service that ReplayTV recently announced will become available with the ReplayTV 4500 this summer.

Porject 5.0 is a major software release to accompany the introduction of the new ReplayTV model 5000, which is scheduled for release later this year.

·
Registered
381 Posts
So does this mean the 5000 is also the same or very similar hardware? Seems like only one year would be quick to throw out a major redesign.

My bet is the 5000 is 4500 with monthly shorter term subscription model.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Montezuma58

My bet is the 5000 is 4500 with monthly shorter term subscription model. [/b]
The 5000 was previously announced. It is a new HW platform for the high-end market. I don't believe any details are available as of yet.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Montezuma58
So does this mean the 5000 is also the same or very similar hardware? Seems like only one year would be quick to throw out a major redesign.

My bet is the 5000 is 4500 with monthly shorter term subscription model.
I bet you're wrong. Why have an entirely different model just to change the subscription fee? I'd be willing to bet you a very large sum of money that if they ad a monthly payment option it will work with any boxes the yearly payment option works with.

The comment about the yearly fee coming first was made by one of the higher ups in an interview soon after subscription option was announced. I'll try to track the interview down.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
...Several people remember seeing statements that the flat fee would come first, then a monthly option later in the year, but (as far as I know) nobody's been able to track those statements down again.
It came from this quote from Steve Shannon:

"Sonicblue Vice President Steve Shannon said the company will offer a lifetime subscription first, followed by a monthly subscription later this year."

·
Registered
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by honus87

I bet you're wrong. Why have an entirely different model just to change the subscription fee? I'd be willing to bet you a very large sum of money that if they ad a monthly payment option it will work with any boxes the yearly payment option works with.

I had forgot about the 5000 being anounced earlier. BTW, I did not intend to mean that the subscription model would be the only change. I was thinking that if they added a periodic payment option instead of a lifetime only they might change the model number to avoid consumer confusion. I did not see any reference to a periodic subscription in the 4500 manual only a one time activation fee.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cwerdna
The FAQ at http://www.sonicblue.com/support/rep...ivationfaq.asp claims it's required...
Yep, it says after the 10-day grace period the box will cease to operate without being activated. But I'm still not sure exactly what that means. Will it shut down completely (except for the activation screen presumably) - so you won't even be able to watch any programs you recorded during the grace period? Or will it just stop downloading the EPG? Somewhere in between? We'll see - I managed to order one of the 4500's from Amazon the other day so I'll test it when it arrives.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Someone posted a few weeks ago about a weird screen that showed up on their Replay. It said they weren't registered and they couldn't record. I'm not sure if they guy could play stuff or not. But one of the Replay guys apologized and said it was a mistake related to some new features.

This was before the announcement of the subscription model I think but it is pretty clear now what it was about.

Ahh here it is: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=133894

I'd be willing to bet (I'm betting a lot today) that it what will happen if you don't pay.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
It came from this quote from Steve Shannon:

"Sonicblue Vice President Steve Shannon said the company will offer a lifetime subscription first, followed by a monthly subscription later this year."
Thanks for the link Ken. I knew I'd seen such a reference but when the topic has come up in the past few days realized I couldn't provide a source for it.

Right now it appears SonicBlue is winging a lot of its plans. Seems every time there's a change its different from what was previously announced. Obviously current buyers of 4500's won't have a monthly sub. as an option since they will already have paid for lifetime.

It appears that 4500's hardware is identical to 4XXX's. SB changed the software to enable the modem and activate the service option. (Actually to disable the service option unless it's activated.)

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for either high end or low end additions to ReplayTV's line!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arjay

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for either high end or low end additions to ReplayTV's line!
That is an interesting conclusion to draw from what you've stated, and a fairly large jump in logic.

Winging it? No. They determined that the only way they're going to get on the shelf in stores is to add a subscription model. There has to be some way to differentiate the models that come with lifetime for free and the models you have to pay for (i.e. the models where the price includes the fee and the models where the fee is paid after). Changing the model number seems like an easy way to do that. Why should the hardware be any different?

The people that post to this forum must have pretty tired legs given all the jumping to conclusions that happens around here.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:

Winging it?
I hope I'm wrong.

I want a cheap ReplayTV model which will offer competition to the four letter brand. Many here appear to want a high end ReplayTV model. Both have been announced at one time or another.

Right now they added dial-up software to 4XXX's. Changed the way the price is paid but didn't change the price. Nothing else changed.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
...The people that post to this forum must have pretty tired legs given all the jumping to conclusions that happens around here.
Well I suppose we can give our "jumping legs" a rest over the speculation that arjay is Steve Shannon? Don't think he'd be forgetting which rumors he started (and where... even with the AVS search temporarily hobbled)? :D

But of course arjay has reason for concern. I mean SB apparently making all these big decisions without his rubber stamp on a few of em?

Ah well 9 outa 10 sure ain't a bad track record. :cool::cool:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arjay

I hope I'm wrong.

I want a cheap ReplayTV model which will offer competition to the four letter brand. Many here appear to want a high end ReplayTV model. Both have been announced at one time or another.
True.

Quote:

Right now they added dial-up software to 4XXX's. Changed the way the price is paid but didn't change the price. Nothing else changed.
Also true.

What does one have to do with the other? Not much, I think. And with "winging it"? Not a thing.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.