·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Amazon now lists:

4504, 40 hours, $449.99

4508, 80 hours, $749.99

4516, 160 hours, $1249.99

all "usually ships in 1-2 weeks"...and all supposedly including lifetime service fee. Wonder if they'll give $250 discounts to people who place orders before the error's corrected?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
4504, 40 hours, $449.99 I'm going to go read up on this one. Thats a good price if it has lifetime subscription.

Hmmm no information at all at replaytv.com. Don't know what features it has.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mikeyboy
4504, 40 hours, $449.99 I'm going to go read up on this one. Thats a good price if it has lifetime subscription.

Hmmm no information at all at replaytv.com. Don't know what

features it has.
That's almost certainly an error on Amazon's part - the 4500 does NOT include lifetime, the 4000 series did. Unless this is some kind of promo - but they're giving up $250 per unit. Which is why the original poster was wondering about the fee.

The 4500 is basically a 4000 with a modem (and it still has the broadband) and the service fee is not included in the cost.

It appears there is no monthly option, just an up-front $250 service fee to activate the unit. See: http://www.replaytv.com/support/activation.asp

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
In filings for the lawsuit over the Show Sending, it seems that the said that monthly fee software won't be available until the end of the year. I guess that for now it will just be literally the 4000 series with an option for dial-up (4000 - $250 + $250 == 4000)

/carmi

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
It is likely that amazon will keep the price as show, but update the coments to say that the life time is not included. It is hard to say if they will honor their mistake or not when it is corrected. However, as it is a mistake I wonder if anyone would be able to hold them to it.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Serra

It is likely that amazon will keep the price as show, but update the comments to say that the life time is not included. It is hard to say if they will honor their mistake or not when it is corrected. However, as it is a mistake I wonder if anyone would be able to hold them to it.
Of course, there is also a moral dilemma. Is it right to take advantage of Amazon's mistake? Kind of like the people who bought the Airline tickets on the web for $5. They knew darn well that the tickets were priced far below fair market value. Just because something will hold up in court doesn't necessarily mean it is the right thing to do.

Sorry, that's all the preaching I'll do for today.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Go to http://www.amazon.com

Type in "ReplayTV" in the search box, this will bring back 15 entries over two pages, the 4500s are on the second page.

Amazon links sometimes contain a session ID, which means they won't work for someone else, but I think this link will work...

ReplayTVs at Amazon

·
Registered
131 Posts
$450 including lifetime? If it is true...

total = $450

Lifetime service(?)=$250(?)

Base unit cost = $200

Now we're Talkin'!!!

Now I know this is a redundant statement, but these puppies will literally fly off the shelves at this price!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gweempose
Of course, there is also a moral dilemma.
I notice there's an asterisk on all the "lifetime" entries which is never linked to. Hate when that happens!

There's no moral dilemma in ordering a product for its advertised price. You just may not get that price if it's an error. For $450. I'll buy a 4504.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looking at SonicBlue's activation site, it appears to have a "Pre-paid" "Not Pre-Paid" option you need to select before activating the unit. So it's entirely conceivable that the $450 price on Amazon might very well include lifetime subscription.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arjay

There's no moral dilemma in ordering a product for its advertised price. You just may not get that price if it's an error.
In order to avoid bad PR, Amazon may be forced to honor the price even if it is an error. That's what happened with the airline tickets. Personally, I think the price seems too good to be true. It just doesn't make any sense considering the fact that SB is still selling the 4000s for so much more.

I don't want anyone to think that I am condemning them for trying to get a good deal. If I was in the market for another Replay, I'd probably order one myself. I simply like to play Devil's advocate sometimes and see where the dialog goes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I thought the 4500 series was supposed to be SB's lower-priced entry to compete with Tivo? If this is true, $200 for the unit plus $250 for the lifetime service seems like the logical conclusion. Am I missing something here? Or am I confusing this with the 5XXX series that is yet to be?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Well, I hope its a bundle but if not, no skin off my back.

I just ordered one with a 20% off coupon and ticked the free shipping box, so I'm getting a new 4504 for $359.99.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Don't count on it, I just searched all amazon coupons and couldn't find it. I doubt they'd ever run a generic 20% off coupon anyway, that's a lot of dough.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.