AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I note that the ReplayTV web site is again listing the 4040 and 4080 machines, saying, "additional supply arriving in June". Putting on my product management hat that means either:

a) they've shelved the 4500 for now, or

b) they expect a lot of returns from the distribution channel.

Since we don't seem to see many 4040's available in the channel, I'm guessing something more dire is in the straits.

Anyone have a more optimistic view?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Given the 4000 and 4500 are hardware identical...

More optimistic views why the web site lists 4000 not 4500 being available in early June:

1) The 4000s listed are actually 4500 with lifetime memberships.

2) A delay with the software. As soon as its worked out all 4000s become 4500 units.

3) Legal issues are being worked out.

4) Retailer issues are being worked out.

5) Distribution issues are being worked out.

6) Subscription issues are being worked out.

7) Sonic Blue is doing upgrades to their systems such as MyReplay to handle the surge on new users.

8) 4000s will be sold on their site and 4500s will be sold retail.

Whatever the problem it is likely temporary.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
My bet is on: first batch of 4500s have been manufactured (or will be by first week of June), and now SB has 40 gig drives in surplus again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I also noticed that amazon.com is out of stock of everything but the 4040 - I was actually planning to order a 4080 today but they seem to be out of stock at amazon.com and SB.

Matt

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I just checked, Amazon has the 4080 in stock.

OT: I really hate these reviewers for the Replay products. There is a review from a guy who was trying to get his Replay to work with a 56k modem connection and was upset that Replay didn't support it. Hello! Wake up. You just paid $999.99 for a toy, the least you could do was read about it and make sure you can use it.

That is as bad as the prior review that said the guy couldn't get it to work with is Windows ME network (i.e. a machine with a lan card in it). Da! That isn't a HOME NETWORK.... A network without a router or a switch isn't really a network, now is it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
Yes, it is a network. Two devices connected is a network.
Technically, yes, is it enough of a network to qualify, no.

·
Registered
395 Posts
It's only a network if he is smart enough to use a crossover cable between the two. If his computer dials up to the Internet he could even use Internet Connection Sharing to download his guide data.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for the Linksys info. I'm just at the point of doing that when the 4500s come out. One more cable would be too much. Most of what I want to do is within the house, not on the net. I have Sprint Broadband & the modem only has a COM (serial) port on it. The USB may just be the ticket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.