AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long ago I followed the instructions here (thanks everyone) and added another hard drive to my 4504 and have been happy ever since. Till now that is, the original Maxtor drive that came with the unit has failed and now the unit wont boot. The hard drive makes a few abnormal clicking sounds and I get the Replay "please wait" screen and a flashing power light forever. I wouldn't be too worried but a few months ago I lost the original image made of the drive with RTVPatch 2.2.4

Is there anything I can do? I voided the warranty when I added the drive, so I assume that SonicBlue wont be of any help. I have not done anything with the drive yet, so I have no idea if there is any data intact or not. I could care less about the shows I had, I just don't want to have to buy a new unit, my roommate is on his 2nd bad unit (5k unit) and isn't willing to deal with their horrible customer service again. I pull a lot of shows off to burn to DVD so I need to get back up and running quickly.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You have a couple of options as I see it.

First off getting an image is easy. Send a PM to Mikeyboy on this forum. He has copies of images for download. I have copies of 4500 images but I am not set up for you to get it easily. Try Mikeboy first. If he can't help we will figure something out don't worry. Even if I have to snail mail a CD to you.

1) One option includes working with SB after you restore your unit to the way it was before you updrived it. Don't tell them that you opened it up.

2) Another is working with Maxtor directly on the bad drive. Maxtor makes returning drives under warranty easy. Probably your best option.

You can use the replacement drive for something else and use this opportunity to put a larger HD in its place in the ReplayTV. One of my original ReplayTV drives is in my DVArchive machine.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
In case you didn't find the disk image link yet here they are.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You say you:

a) Have a second drive in the unit,

b) want to get back up and running quickly, and

c) don't care about losing the shows you have.

Wouldn't another option be to use RTVPatch and Mikeyboy's 45xx image on the still functioning second drive (as a single) and get back up and running while you go through the Maxtor replacement process? Now you would have to reverse the process when you get the replacement drive, but this does get you up and running as quickly as possible.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I posted I didn't realize that the drive images were that universal, I assumed that the unit SN would be part of the lost data and I would need to recover that somehow.

I grabbed the image from the FTP in Mikeyboy's sig (you are 'da man' for hosting those BTW) and read thru the short doc. Until I replace the main drive I probably will do as Reedg01 suggests and just image the remaining living drive.

Thanks everyone!

[edit] I apparently have 2 accounts, one at work, and one at home. Thats what I get for years of lurking i guess... I'll have to sort that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.