AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 4504 that I bought late last month at CC, and I ordered the 5040 from Sonicblue on Friday once they released the 2nd rebate. I'm now trying to determine if I should cancel that order and keep the 4504 or return the 4504 and let the order for the 5040 ship.

Most of the reason that I want to get the 5040 instead of the 4504 is because I've been quite disappointed in the PQ compared to my 2 year old showstopper. I've read extensively that the 5xxx units generally give much better picture quality, has that been everyone's experience? Is that enough to justify getting what seems to be a much buggier unit? Also, the consensus seems to be that the 5xxx units run much slower than the 45xx units. How much so? How much does that affect daily use? Apart from network connectivity, one of the primary reasons I wanted to upgrade the showstopper is that it’s annoyingly slow to respond to remote commands, I assume the 5040 won’t be nearly this bogged down, will it?

My other question has to do with the buffer. My showstopper gives about a 1 second delay if I press a button on my digital cable remote to the time that I see that action taken on-screen. My 4504 gives about a 3-4 second delay, which would be REALLY annoying if Sonicblue had not provided the bypass feature. In looking at the remote that ships with the 5040, it does not seem to have this feature. Is the same feature available in some way and I’m missing it? Is the buffer closer to live TV like the showstopper? If not, ordering VOD could get annoying.

Any other advice on which to keep would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
 45xx v. 5xxx

Those were my initial findings on a head to head comparisson. Since then, the only problem that I have had with my 5040 is a shutter/skipping problem. At first it shuttered a couple times a day, no big deal at all. Now it seems to be shuttering A LOT more often, and is considerably annoying. I am hoping that a new update will fix it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info sbdave, it looks like you put a lot of work into that review! That squarely answers my question about PQ, but I'd still like to know if anybody has gotten the "bypass" feature from the 45xx model working on a 5xxx model, if anybody has info about that.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
No, Bypass isn't coded into the 5xxx series, but the input button from earlier remotes works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.