AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if this crest amp is any good?

Crest Audio CD 1500

* 8 Ohm Stereo 400 W

* 4 Ohm Stereo - 750 W

* 2 Ohm Stereo - 900 W

* 8 Ohm Bridged - 1500 W

* Dramatically reduced net weight

* Linear power supply / Class D output stages

* Very low current draw

* Latest generation of high-speed, mosfet output devices

* Cooled by variable-speed fan with back-to-front airflow

* Inputs: balanced female XLR, 1/4" TRS combi jacks

* Outputs: Speakon and five-way binding posts

* Mode selector switch for stereo, parallel and bridged-mono operation

* Ground-lift switch and rear panel circuit breaker

* Recessed, stepped attenuators with removable knobs

* 16-gauge steel chassis, cast aluminum front panel

* TourClass protection circuits

* ACL (Active Clip Limiting) prevents speaker damage by providing gentle gain reduction when signal approaches the clipping threshold

* IGM (Instantaneous Gain Modulation) monitors speaker loads to detect conditions that may over-stress output devices, allowing safe operation into nominal 2 Ohm speaker loads

* AUTORAMP gradually increases gain to the attenuator level-settings when the amplifier is turned on, preventing abrupt turn-on levels

* Other protection features include: short circuit, DC voltage, comprehensive thermal management, current in-rush turn-on/off transient and sub/ultrasonic input

* Five-year warranty

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I did not see any reviews, user or otherwise. Crest has been around for awhile, and seems to be a decent amp maker. If you have any pro audio friends, you can ask them what they think. Or google 'crest amplifier' and read feedback on some of their amps.

Class D amplifiers have been criticized from some behavioral issues. In other words, when put on the bench and tested, they can behave a bit oddly when compared to class AB amps.

That does not mean they are bad in real world practice though. There's a ton of stuff online about class D amps you can read, but note that designs differ, so it would be hard to say anything in general about the Crest.

There are good deals out there on pro amps, so don't let the price scare you. Just buy from a reputable place.

I paid maybe $200 for a Mackie amp, and it was nice. I sold it because I was not using it.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/16999642

I am just about to up my subwoofer power greatly and dont want my reciever to be the limiter that keeps my fronts from keeping up with the subs.

Dunno these guys, but I'd be buying class D for my sub. Just check to make sure that the frequency response is flat down to the limits of your sub and you should be fine.

Behringer has a fan-less unit that's pretty powerful in bridged mode but I'm not sure what class of amp it is;

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/A500.aspx

Another option which is a tad more costly but would be an excellent choice that I've used for my IB sub is ICEpower amps and D-Sonic has some excellent monoblocks ranging from 250w to 1000w at 8 ohms.

These are stable down to two ohms and their +/- 3db frequency response goes down to 10hz at least.

I've never used pro amps, but I have no reason to believe they wouldn't be adequate. I do know with certainty that ICE amps have excellent tonality and separation in the bass frequencies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts