AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my older SS for a 4516 about a month ago. I'm seeing something I never saw with the SS and am looking for any advice from folks who might have seen and might understand my symptoms.

Dring playback (medium quality), I'm seeing the show 'stall'. Sometimes the sound goes on for a few seconds after the picture stops. I can nudge the playback forward by hitting play to go briefly into slow motion, or by using the quick skip. This has happened now on both a regular playback and a record to VCR type playback.

Looking for advice. I'll have time to work the problem this weekend.

Thanks

Cliff

·
Registered
915 Posts
How often does this happen? What's the signal source? Cable, Satellite?

Does it happen frequently enough that you can test to see if it occurs on other recording quality settings?

Lyndon

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
My wife and I were watching The Bachelor Wednesday night when the playback "stalled". I wasn't able to do slow or fast forward, instant replay, skip or xx-skip - it just froze and acted like the remote wasn't even there until I pressed xx-jump. It was in the middle of a commercial advance operation so we didn't miss any of the show.

For ReplayLyndon's info, we have a Motorola digital cable receiver with Comcast cable. It was on our 4508 and it's never happened before. I've also never seen it on our 4080.

Tim

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ReplayLyndon
How often does this happen? What's the signal source? Cable, Satellite? Does it happen frequently enough that you can test to see if it occurs on other recording quality settings? Lyndon
Thanks for the reply. One show was sourced via a C-Band satellite source (Lots of signal Pristine quality, Composite Input), and the other show was sourced via a DishNet (sorta) source. Again, good signal, S-Video input. I didn't observe any break up, or other issues other then the fact that the shows I was watching just seemed to run out of gas.

I have a number of recorded shows pending that I'll check this weekend. Most are medium, but I'll set up some on High and Low and see if I can get the 4516 to do it again. I've watched a lot of recordings that are fine, so the percentage of shows with this issue is small, but I observed 2 shows, recorded on different days with the issue.

My drive isn't full, but I'm planning on clearing as many shows off as possible during the weekend.

I'm open to any kind of testing you'd suggest. The family is gone this weekend, and I'm home alone so can play with my toys to my hearts content!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
My wife and I were watching The Bachelor Wednesday night when the playback "stalled". I wasn't able to do slow or fast forward, instant replay, skip or xx-skip - it just froze and acted like the remote wasn't even there until I pressed xx-jump. It was in the middle of a commercial advance operation so we didn't miss any of the show.

For ReplayLyndon's info, we have a Motorola digital cable receiver with Comcast cable. It was on our 4508 and it's never happened before. I've also never seen it on our 4080.

Tim
You can also do a quick toggle of the zones button when it stalls. Press zones wait .5 sec then press zones again so it doesn't get all the way into the zones menu. This seems to be enough to force a re-read of the show being played

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the same problem, but I believe it usually happens only when streaming from the other Replay. Some times it freezes and will not start again by pressing play 3 0r 4 times to get past the bad spot. Then I select play another show and start another show. When I go back to the original show it picks up where it left off without a problem. I have cable and record in high quality.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Geez, people are almost acting like this is a new problem.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
Geez, people are almost acting like this is a new problem.
So this problem has come up a few times?

We've used our 4080 since 3/02 and the 4508 since 12/02 on a daily basis and had not experienced that symptom once. Maybe we've got the golden units that have a .000001% error rate?

Tim

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
How often does this happen? What's the signal source? Cable, Satellite? Does it happen frequently enough that you can test to see if it occurs on other recording quality settings?Lyndon
I tried copying to tape and playing a one hour show (medium, good signal) and it's stalled about 10 times. If I go slo-mo, the screens advance but will stall again when I go back to normal play mode. It stops at the same places each time. (If I go back a few minutes, it'll stall on the same screen as it did before.

? ? ? ?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I've been having this problem ever since both of my 4000s updated to 4.3 almost a year ago.

But people get really annoyed when I complain about it too much.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots
I've been having this problem ever since both of my 4000s updated to 4.3 almost a year ago.

But people get really annoyed when I complain about it too much.
I bitched and bitched and bitched to Replay about this problem when the 4.3 update came out and sent email after email asking for a fix.

Nothing has ever been done about it! I guess we've all learned to live with this horribly annoying bug.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Does it happen frequently enough that you can test to see if it occurs on other recording quality settings? Lyndon
I've been watching for this to repeat. I cleaned off nearly all of my recordings, and slowly let them build up again. I'm about 4-050 percent full on my 4516 RTV.

I have not seen this happen on other then medium quality. That is where most of my recording are, so this may not be definitive.

What happens, most often, is that the video stalls, with the audio continuing for a few seconds. I can usually get past the stall using the second press on play to go into Slo-Mo. Watching that, I detect a slight jump in the scene and then can go back to normal speed. Sometimes, the jump is linked with video tiling of the picture.

I can rewind and play through the same scene and the problem will occur at the same place.

Sounds like perhaps a disk surface flaw?

Any way to correct the problem here, or would this require a return RMA? I've had the machine about 2 months.

Thanks

Cliff

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After running into the stalling again, on a series of shows, I did two things, wrote to the e-mail support, and when that advice seemed to not help;

* Warm Boot the RTV, Then call if it doesn't fix the problem.

So I called the tech support line and after a brief wait, got a lady that listened to my symptoms and suggested that I;

* Unplug the Unit for 10 minutes,

* Perform a factory reset

Hummm. I'm not against a factory reset, if the experence here is that the periodic stalling is improved by this procedure. What (if anything) has been shown to improve the symptom of stalling the playback?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I had it happen a couple of times at a time when my drive was really full but I have not seen it in a long time. I do not know if there is correlation to a full drive. I may have done a factory reset and/or an upgrade since. Like I said it been a long time since I have had the issue. I think it is some sort of corruption in the video file.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I was seeing stalling alot, especially when we were all playing with ReplayPC and it's follow on's. I have been more carefull to be sure that the Replays are not ON or busy recording and while it still happens it's much less often. This mainly occurs on recordings being played locally.

From playing with extraction, it seems that aggressive extraction can glitch a show that is being recorded. It's also more likely to happen if you play and record at the same time (while also using QS and Replay alot).

I do get stream breaks at least once per show, but it's usually only a few seconds long.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
t's also more likely to happen if you play and record at the same time[/b]

Well I do that a lot, Play and record at the same time. I also have had a 2 hour transfer in from a kind person to help me out with a show my daughter missed. I'm working towards not having anything vital on the RTV and may try the factory reset deal. Not happy, but if it helps the problem, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I bit the bullet and did the factory reset. I haven't seen the salling as yet, but my saved list is a bit sparse.

On thing I've not seen before is this:

When doing a 243-Zones net connect, the download process seems to stall (there is that word again) with a caption of Downloading Additional Information, after the zones and channel updates. I looked at mt router to see if there was any activity, and outside of a very short flash of data every few minutes the transfer is quiet. I haven't hound a way short of a warm boot to go forward. After the warm boot, the channle data combining takes place.

What's Up?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.