AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Pioneer 45TX and B&W 602 S3 for fronts. They are set to large and still not impressed with the bass. I'm not expected the room to shake but my 10 yr old bookshelf system made by Awia seemed to have more punch. I like rock music and the punch of the kick drums just isn't there. Anybody else have same problem? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davikes
I have the Pioneer 45TX and B&W 602 S3 for fronts. They are set to large and still not impressed with the bass. I'm not expected the room to shake but my 10 yr old bookshelf system made by Awia seemed to have more punch. I like rock music and the punch of the kick drums just isn't there. Anybody else have same problem? Suggestions?

Is the B&Ws part of a home theater? or is it just 2 channel. Do you have a sub? The front speakers should be set to small unless you dont have a sub. did you run MCACC?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is part of my 5.1 system, I do have a sub, and I did run MCACC.

The thing is I would like to listen to 2 channel music w/o the sub sometimes. I live in an apartment and would like to turn off the sub when I really don't need it. I thought I should be getting a little more bass out of these speakers, or receiver. My speakers have dual posts on the back with bridging clips connected between the two, well just to experiment I took those clips off so I eliminated the tweeter portion of the speaker. I put in a ZZ Top CD and was looking for some of their trademark punchy kick drum, what I got was very weak to say the least.

Before you reply by saying " just use your sub and set your speakers to small" I know that much and it sounds fine that way, I just thought it should better than it does in 2 channel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I noticed my 602's had a better overall sound when I started powering them with an NAD amp. Highs and mids were a lot clearer and the bass had more impact. Before that I was powering them with a Marantz receiver.

Perhaps a better amp is the answer.

Positioning may also help. When I moved my 602's out from the walls, 4 feet from the back, 2 feet from the sides, the sound improved again. The bass became more defined and less boomy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You can copy the MCACC over to a custom setting and boost the bass frequency (60Hz I think).

Alternatively, you can copy the original MCACC to a custom setting, rerun MCACC without the sub and swap the two setting as you please. I havent tried this, but I think it should work.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by petiteface
You can copy the MCACC over to a custom setting and boost the bass frequency (60Hz I think).

That's what I do, but it's 63Hz not 60Hz. Works perfectly! I even boost it a little at 125Hz and 250Hz!

Best Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a pair of 602 s3's in a 2-channel set up powered by a NAD 320bee integrated amp with a NAD 521i cd player as a source and had plenty of bass. I always use the "direct" feature bypassing the tone controls and the bass response varies from each recording. I have since replaced them with 604's and the little NAD amp still has plenty of power. My parents now use the 602's powered by a Marantz pm7000 integrated amp with plenty of bass response. Maybe your Aiwa system was boosting the bass levels more than your Pioneer? After moving to higher end components I have noticed that when listening in "direct" mode, eliminating any additonal processing, there isn't as much "punchy" bass in most music as I once thought.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnEF
Maybe your Aiwa system was boosting the bass levels more than your Pioneer? After moving to higher end components I have noticed that when listening in "direct" mode, eliminating any additonal processing, there isn't as much "punchy" bass in most music as I once thought.
JohnEF,

I think your probably right on here. With the Pioneer, the MCACC uses the "Air Studios" standard, which does not put an emphasis in the bass area. But that's why they gave you the choice of "custom" settings, knowing that not everyone is going to prefer the same exact type of sound.

I for one love the MCACC and would not use the Direct mode instead. It really helps in my room, especially in taming the lower freq. as well as taking the edge off the highs, but still keeping all the detail. YMMV ;)

Best Regards,

patrick

·
Registered
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davikes
Hi,

I use a pair of DM602S2's for my rears, but used them as fronts for a few years before I picked up a pair of DM604S3's for fronts and moved the 602s2's to the rear...

But, the 602 is NOT a full range speaker. Mfr specs rate it at 49Hz-22kHz, which is nice for a bookshelf speaker, but won't give you the punch you're expecting. If you want more bass, period, move them very close to the wall (~1ft). This may give you a bit more punch, but may also make the deeper bass sound kinda muddy (i hate that term, but it's the only thing i can think of ;/)...

The 604S3 is not really a full range speaker either. But it's alot closer than the 602 is... (39Hz-22kHz) and there's a world of difference when it comes to deep percussion just due to the extra (deeper) bass drivers between the 602 and 604...

If you listen to lots of rock type stuff, the B&W 600 series is probably not best suited to your taste, I'd imagine. You might be happier with a floorstander with large bass driver...like NHT 3.3s or something similar.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Strange, I have a pair 602's (S1) that I have had for 5 years or so and always thought that, for a relatively inexpensive bookshelf,they had pretty good bass response.

Have you tried hooking your receiver to another pair of speakers to see if you get the same thing? I also would try bosting the bass settings which will most likely help some.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.