AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at getting a used pair of PSB Stratus Goldi. I was looking at specification and see

Nominal Impedane 4 Ohm

Minimum 4 Ohm

I'm really clueless about what the Ohms are, mean, etc.. just that most seem to be 8 Ohm and that I remember reading somewhere that for lower Ohm speakers your receiver has to be able to 'handle' them.

Does anyone know if these low ohm speakers will work with the 45TX??

THANKS..

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
If your 45TX was made after October of '02, it should run 4Ohm speakers just fine. Units made before Oct 02 might be a bit too quick to go into protection mode if you crank it...

Sorny

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Pioneer receivers are speced to 6 ohm. So using it with 4 ohm speakers is a risk, meaning the receiver might clip (turn off) when played at high volumes. But some people run it fine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by s.bradford
Covered many times here... try searching this forum for pioneer and 4 ohm.
I tried this but it would let me search the

number "4" so I just did OHM and only got 7 threads.. three of them this one!..

Sorny, how do i tell if it was made after Oct O2??

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Look at the sticker on the back that says "manufacture date". ;)

Sorny

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Sorny
Look at the sticker on the back that says "manufacture date". ;)

Sorny
oh..THAT manufacturer date!..

sorry

I was reading treads about driving these speakers and most were recommending 4ohm amps with 350watts minimum. Since my receiver is 100w x 7 rated at 6ohms does that mean the speaker just won't perform that well or receiver will run real hot to drive them?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
probably both. The receiver will have to work harder and the speaker may not sound as well when driven by an amplifier. You should check the Stratus nominal impedance, it it is 6 ohm you should be fine but if it is 4 ohm you're better off going to separates or choosing a different set of speakers.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks sergiohm.. this is what i was thinking but hoping not to be so. The speaker nominal impedance is 4 OHM.

I like the way they sound and had a good deal on a used pair (along with a pair of Mini Surrounds that are also 4 OHM) so I guess it would be alot for this receiver. I really don't want to get into spending more $ for a amp.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What you may experience with this combination is an uneven frequency response (typically less defined and weak bass response). This is all dependent of where in the frequency spectrum the low impedance points appear.

In addition you risk damage to your speakers if the distortion level rises to high. Something you may want to consider if you are bringing the volume level high.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mmeysarosh
What you may experience with this combination is an uneven frequency response (typically less defined and weak bass response). This is all dependent of where in the frequency spectrum the low impedance points appear.

In addition you risk damage to your speakers if the distortion level rises to high. Something you may want to consider if you are bringing the volume level high.
Thanks for input.. Would using a subwoofer at a high crossover point help drive the speaker easier?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
if you set a high crossover point for subwoofer you may not be able to play thx at 80hz

just wondering if the 4ohm is an average which the speaker may dip to 2 ohm or it is the minimum

some 8 ohm speakers may dip as low as 2 ohm in bass range and high as 16ohm outputting high frequencies

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cpu8088
if you set a high crossover point for subwoofer you may not be able to play thx at 80hz

just wondering if the 4ohm is an average which the speaker may dip to 2 ohm or it is the minimum

some 8 ohm speakers may dip as low as 2 ohm in bass range and high as 16ohm outputting high frequencies
The specs on the speaker state: 4 Ohm nominal, 4 Ohm minimum

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
specs may be an average figure

just like the power output of your amps in rms or din or otherwise depending on the method chosen and the quality of the test equipment :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cpu8088
specs may be an average figure

just like the power output of your amps in rms or din or otherwise depending on the method chosen and the quality of the test equipment :)
The receiver lets me set the OHM to either 6 or 8-16.. do i set the receiver to 6OHM even if the speakers are 4? or just not use them?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
set to 6 ohm so more current will be utilized by the receiver and feed the hungry speakers

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Leave the receiver at 8-16Ohms unless it shuts down prematurely. Then, and only then, try changing it to 6-8Ohm mode.

Whether or not the 45 will have a problem is dependent largely on crossover (I'd run speakers small xover at 80Hz), speaker sensitivity, and how loud you play it. If you don't play very loud, you probably won't have a problem.

For example, my Def Tech speakers have a 3.1 Ohm minimum impedance. In my ~7500 cu ft room, I could get my 45 to shut down at -4dB or -5dB. I have since placed a power amp on the front 3, and can now go much louder than I can stand without shutdown. The point I'm trying to make is that even with 3.1Ohm minimum impedance speakers, I didn't shut down until -4dB from reference level (quite loud!), and then, only on some DVDs. FYI, my 45 has a manufacture date of Feb '02, IIRC (meaning mine is among those that are susceptible to shut down prematurely). Switching to 6-8Ohm mode solved **my** shutdown until I got a power amp (it also increased the S-Sibilance greatly, which went away when I put it back on 8-16Ohm mode). Luckily for me, I intended to go with outboard amps anyway, so "having" to get an outboard power amp wasn't a big shocker to me.

Sorny

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for info Sorny. I guess I can get them and experiment.

What model amp did you get to work well with the 45tx? Also the rear surrounds I was looking at are 4OHM but the center is 8OHM. So would I need a power amp for the four speakers(fronts and surrounds)?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have a Sunfire Cinema Grand (series I, old model from ebay 200Wx5 at 8 Ohms, 400x5 at 4 ohms; it powers my front 3 and both of my subs). I'd suggest that if you do get an outboard amp, try for a 3 channel one to power the front 3, or go with a 5 channel to drive the fronts and your side surrounds. That should take enough of a load off the receiver to allow it to power the 4 surrounds (fronts are much more likely to be loud when compared to any of the surrounds).

Sorny

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.