AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 4508 for about a week now (upgraded from a 2020), and I'm really enjoying the new features, but I have a question. My stereo has an digital audio input, but the connector looks like an RCA input, different from the output port on the back of the RTV... Is there a cable available that will allow me to connect these together? I've only seen cables with one or the other style of connecter, not both....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rex_Dart
I've had my 4508 for about a week now (upgraded from a 2020), and I'm really enjoying the new features, but I have a question. My stereo has an digital audio input, but the connector looks like an RCA input, different from the output port on the back of the RTV... Is there a cable available that will allow me to connect these together? I've only seen cables with one or the other style of connecter, not both....
The RCA digital input is a coax digital connection, but the Replay has an optical digital out.

There may be a converter available, but I've never seen one.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Yes, you can get an optical/coax converter and they don't cost that much (well under $50; I think I may even have seen them for under $20). Just do a google search for optical coax converter and you should find this.

·
Registered
412 Posts
the fact that their is no digital in sort of makes this conntor pointless .. you will never get any better quality than what was recorded ( and because of mpeg compression , slightly less than original ) ... this sort og goes hand in hand with the big fat "Dobly Digital 5.1" printed on the front of my cable box that has nothing but r/l rca out ...

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lucindrea
the fact that their is no digital in sort of makes this conntor pointless .. you will never get any better quality than what was recorded ( and because of mpeg compression , slightly less than original ) ... this sort og goes hand in hand with the big fat "Dobly Digital 5.1" printed on the front of my cable box that has nothing but r/l rca out ...
This isn't exactly true.

It is true that you won't get any better sound than what you put in via the tuner or the L/R rca audio inputs, but by using the digital out on the Replay you avoid an digital to analog conversion and also avoid any kind of distrotion introduced from the analog run from your replay to your reciever.

It's probably not a major advantage, but I like to avoid as many analog/digital conversions as possible.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I think RadioShack sells a converter in case you are not interested in waiting for it to show up from an online vendor.

Cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the suggestions...now i just need a buzzer that will automatically go off when I instinctively reach for the remote at the beginning of a commerical break....I cannot seem to break the pre-commercial advance routine :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven't quite adjusted to the Commercial Advance functionality yet. While watching Boston Public last night I kept hitting quick skip right as the commercial was about to start. I do like that if you do QS and it is going to quick skip right into the commercials the commercial advance will just take over and go to the end...**nice**. Haven't recorded too many shows with my 5040 yet, but CA is so-so. It blew big time on Alias on Sunday...would skip like 15 minutes worth of programming, so I had to turn it off for that episode.

Anyway, this post kind of got OT, but I have to search the archives to find out more about how well CA works. My point was that I, too, still hit quick skip.

Scott.

·
Registered
826 Posts
The level of sound goes up when using digital audio. . .at least in my setup. When I was running RCA plugs to my receiver I had to keep the receiver at about 55 for the RePlay. Plugged in the optical digital line to the receiver and that level dropped to 40. Which means I've got a lot more sound room to play with.

I tried one of those optical to digital convertors that didn't work. (My receiver has both an optical and a digital input. I was using the optical for the DVD player.) Instead I bought an Radio Shack optical switch. Has to be changed manually, but will take four separate optical feeds into one in on the receiver. Works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.