AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 1080p I bought for use as a computer monitor was a Sylvania 42" and it ended up having a host of issues which made using it as a monitor very difficult. There was no 1:1 pixel mapping, there were overscan issues that were impossible to correct. I ended up getting rid of it. This time around I want to get it right.

I'm going to display my PC's output via DVI-HDMI adapter and would like a 46" LCD TV that has the proper pixel mapping, and doesn't have overscan issues. Easy to read font would be great.

Any specific recommendations? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any recent gen lcd that isn't from a third class manufacturer like Sylvania will do everything you need. 1:1 mapping(the lack of which is what causes the overscan) is a standard feature on any respectable lcd display.

Font has nothing to do with the display. That's a software issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How far away do you plan to sit with this 46" TV?

I have a 1-1/2 year old 46" Phillips that does 1:1 with no problems on overscan, but since I use it as a HTPC with Win XP-64-Bit sitting about 9-12 feet away, I can not use it without squinting, so usually run it at 1280x720 and it does a good job of making everything legible at this distance without distorting things. Web browsing isn't a problem as most browsers allow for on the fly scaling, but fire up office or something where you actually have to use drop down menus and it becomes difficult.

Like the previous poster said, any new TV with a newer graphics card (I have an antique Geforce 8600Gt) that supports true HDTV resolutions, you should have no problems using a DVI to HDMI adapter. My wife has an older Vizio with VGA input, and I had no luck like you.

If you are sitting close to it, you should be able to truly run it at 1080p with no problems with a modern G-card and newer flat-panel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.