AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has experience with the following and what's your comment on their SD quality?

Sony W and V series

Toshiba 167/177

Samsung 6x

Sharp 64u

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was looking at exactly the same tv's and finally made by decision on Sunday. I really liked the picture on the Sharp 64u but all the banding comments made me put that choice aside, Looked at the Toshiba but wanted to go with one of the top 3 rated choices, so it was down to the Sony and the Samsung and decided on the Samsung because of the great deal I got, and the ratings I read everywhere had it near the top. Will take it out the box and mount tomorrow, hope I made the right choice, good luck to you

·
Registered
45 Posts
Last month we purchased a Sony KDL-52W3000. It provides an outstanding knock your socks off picture with most SD programming directly off the Comcast analog cable. Most SD DVDs are so good we really have no incentive to spend circa $300 on a high definition DVD player.

The Series 2 Tivo output, using a component video connection, leaves much to be desired and is very reminiscent of VHS video tape. I am not sure why the Tivo output is so poor on this otherwise outstanding TV when it provided an excellent quality picture on our previous SD TV.

In other words, the Sony 52" W series we just purchased has not only met, but exceeded, our expectations for a high quality picture (except for Tivo).

·
Registered
2,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Bruckshot /forum/post/12975912

Is it true that all LCD's have poor SD quality? (or somewhat)

In general, yes. However, reviews (and my own experience) have shown that the recent model Vizios (e.g., VU42LF, GV52FHD) not only do slightly better than most on SD broadcasts, they also have wider viewing angles. The Vizio downside is that the blacks are not as deep as the best selling and popular model from Samsung, Sharp, and Sony.

Best way to find out is narrow your chioices through research on this forum and elsewhere, make a purchase from a retailer with a liberal return policy and try one out. If you change your mind or unsatisfied, try another.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the Toshiba 46RF350U, I tried getting HD set up through Direct TV and they could not do it due to location of trees on the property,I can get std reception fine long story short after having this set for about a month now I think SD looks pretty freaking good! So much so I don't mind not going HD, the only thing I noticed is the closer you get to the set the worse it looks, from 10' away its great. DVDs look fantastic! Its a nice set worth checking out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone has experience with multiple brands, especially Sharp, Samsung, Sony and Toshiba?

How's the Samsung 4661f compare to Sony V/W3000? the 4661f is on sale until tomorrow for $1799.99 CAD.

my watching distance is anywhere from 6 ft to 25 ft.

Not many store carry Olevia here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone tried both the Samsung LNT4661f and Sony 46 V/W series? Or Sharp 64u? How are they compared in SD quality?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts