AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so, in Dec I bought a LN46B640. Loved how sharp it was but was disappointed in the motion performance. It's not that I was expecting Plasma performance... but there was so much smearing (especially blacks) it was distracting. Returned it.

Bought a 5 series Plasma at the advise of a local TV shop. It looked pretty good in the store, but when I took it home (no matter how I calibrated it) the colors were absolute mush. Everything just blended together, also detail was completely lacking. Returned this one too.

Fast forward to now, I've seen the 8 series Plasmas in Best Buy... but only under fluorescent light. It looked to be much sharper than the 5 series Plasma, and have better color... not quite as vivid as the LCD, but probably more accurate. I've heard the 6 series plasmas are pretty close to the 8 series in terms of PQ, don't know if that's true?

I'm trying to keep a reasonable budget here... my hobbies include photography with a Canon T2i DSLR and collection of lenses, and a recording studio with an apogee interface and lots of mics. These hobbies cost ALOT of money, so that's the main reason I'm trying to stay around the $1,000 range, but I am flexible.

I'm not really partial to LCD or Plasma... I like the motion performance of a Plasma, but I love the crisp detail of an LCD. If I could find something in between that does a good job at both, that would be great.

Also I hate Auto Motion Plus technology, I'm a film buff and it completely ruins films... so I only consider good motion performance to be with this feature disabled.

Please help guys!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just bought a 47" vizio vt470m, got it for 799 with a wall-mount, after calibration looks really good, use it a lot for gaming and the fast motion is much better than the 42" 720p lcd is replaced, its not ultra thin or anything, but its a nice looking tv with good performance for the price, ive been very impressed with it thus far...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Local TV shop is willing to sell me their last UN46B6000 for $1,299, good deal? Retailed for about $2,499 brand new. Motion seems better than the LN46B640 I had before, it's still not a plasma... but still seems better than the LN 6 series.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Current Blu-Ray Players pass through a perfect 1080/24P and needs no Motion help at all and in fact can create that goofy effect that loses film look and instead soap opera or claymation look to it. Good and entertaining to check out but not needed with BD and I turn it off on my Sony Z5100.

Another important thing to remember with motion is often motion can display itself from the impact of broadcast compression and a perfect example is take a silly BD Movie like SpeedRacer (perhaps the most colorful BD ever) which is extremely fast animation and on the BD feed it runs PERFECT and no motion at all on my 60Hz Sharp yet if I view the same film in HD from a broadcast version it is littered with Motion. Same movie in HD and the difference is in the performance of the BD Player versus Broadcast signal.

The new 3D ready Samsungs are supposed to be much faster so they can handle 3D but you may pay a price premium for that. Unfortunately we cannot measure broadcast compression in the stores. My 57" Sharp is approaching 4 yrs and a mere 60Hz but has a QuickShoot Chip that heps prevent Motion and yes from time to time it's there but rare - 99% I have no motion issues and NONE with Blu-Ray or HD DVD's and I never have smearing of colors and blacks as you mention. You may have to audition one of these 3D Ready panels and of course TURN OFF Motion feature when feeding a BluRay unless you find it works with certain content.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmike15 /forum/post/18304019

Local TV shop is willing to sell me their last UN46B6000 for $1,299, good deal? Retailed for about $2,499 brand new. Motion seems better than the LN46B640 I had before, it's still not a plasma... but still seems better than the LN 6 series.

The 6000 has pretty good motion blur reduction, but not as good as the 7000. It's hard to judge whether to buy a floor model. It may have 2,000 - 3,000 hours on it. That should be only about 10% or less of the life of the TV, but who really knows.

The Sony 46EX500 is getting good reviews and you can get one new for less than $1,000.

Best Regards

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I put $500 down on the UN46B6000 for them to hold it until I get paid next week. Yea you're right, it's hard as hell to tell a TV's performance in the store. From what I've seen it's a lot better at motion than the 640 I had before... but I guess i'll know for sure when I get it home.

I was happy with the 640 other than the smearing I was seeing. So if the UN46B6000 is better, I think this will be a good compromise.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18305886

The 6000 has pretty good motion blur reduction, but not as good as the 7000. It's hard to judge whether to buy a floor model. It may have 2,000 - 3,000 hours on it. That should be only about 10% or less of the life of the TV, but who really knows.

The Sony 46EX500 is getting good reviews and you can get one new for less than $1,000.

Best Regards

I'm hoping it's less than that. They said it's been up about 3 months, but I'm pretty sure they turn everything off when they close each day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts