AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between the Sony XBR 46HX909 ( http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33943225.html )

Or the LG 47LX9500 ( http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-33943809.html )

or the Samsung UN46C9000ZF ( http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN46C9000ZFXZA )

Any advice?

Will the LG's High 480 HZ scan rate make a discernable difference between the sony and the Sammy?

Is the LED full array back light with local dimming best on the Sony?

Is it that noticeable with the Samsung's edge lit only LED?

Any help you can provide with advice to general picture quality will be most helpful.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The Samsung C9000, IMHO, is not worth putting into consideration. It's only selling factor is the thinness. It does look nice indeed, but not worth the price! It does not have back-lit local dimming, automatically making it inferior to both the LG LX9500 and Sony HX909. The list can go on and on.

- You will NOT see any drastic difference between a 240hz and 480hz set. However, the Sony does technically have 480hz, but they call it 240hz PRO. Ironically, the LG is only 240hz too.

Why? Because manufacturers are essentially using the technology "black frame insertion" with full 240hz processing. Sony says, "BFI's don't count", but LG is still calling it 480hz. They are still the same nonetheless.

- A general conclusion showed LG's to have severe banding problems. The Sony on the other hand, had a much less problem with banding issues.

- The LG is 55" max, Sony is 52" max.

- Sony's generally have the better motion handling and video processing.

- The LG is much thinner.

- Sony has OptiContrast display, lowering reflections by a reasonable margin. The LG is like a mirror.

And so fourth.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply.

I didn't know the LG had issues with banding that you described. As far as reliability is concerned does the Sony rank the best?

I think a 55" screen would be too much, so I think the 46" would be best....

but want the best PQ I can get.

·
Registered
538 Posts
have you considered samsung C7000 ? I saw it running the avatar bluray and it has fantastic motion processing and a really smooth picture.

Is watching movies all you are going to use the set for?

·
Registered
902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by applerokr /forum/post/19611449

Thank you for the reply.

I didn't know the LG had issues with banding that you described. As far as reliability is concerned does the Sony rank the best?

I think a 55" screen would be too much, so I think the 46" would be best....

but want the best PQ I can get.

In terms of reliability, Sony is definitely one of the top.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Sony 909 or Samsung C7000. Both are very nice TVs and people who complain about Samsung's reliability are not looking at the hard numbers. Both Sony & Samsung are equal in reliability. As for Samsung, people on this forum either love them or hate them with no in between.

Personally, I have two Samsungs and love them both. I would not hesitate to buy either a Sony or Samsung and have recommended both.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneyman /forum/post/19612066

have you considered samsung C7000 ? I saw it running the avatar bluray and it has fantastic motion processing and a really smooth picture.

Is watching movies all you are going to use the set for?

But isn't that edge lit LED?

I'll be watching blu-ray and HD cable...

I'm just curious what you guys would consider the best 46" set on the market today... even if its not on my short list.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19612897

Sony 909 or Samsung C7000. Both are very nice TVs and people who complain about Samsung's reliability are not looking at the hard numbers. Both Sony & Samsung are equal in reliability. As for Samsung, people on this forum either love them or hate them with no in between.

Personally, I have two Samsungs and love them both. I would not hesitate to buy either a Sony or Samsung and have recommended both.

I'm suprised the Samsungc700 would be recommended over the Samsung UN46C9000ZF.

Generally speaking, I want to steer clear of edge-lit led... unless you can't tell the difference between it and a full array led with local dimming (like the LG and Sony I mentioned).

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by applerokr /forum/post/19612906

I'm suprised the Samsungc700 would be recommended over the Samsung UN46C9000ZF.

Generally speaking, I want to steer clear of edge-lit led... unless you can't tell the difference between it and a full array led with local dimming (like the LG and Sony I mentioned).

It's not a C700, it's a UN46C7000. And I didn't say I recommened it OVER anything. I just said it was one I would consider. If you have money to burn, then get the one you want.

As for edge-lit Samsungs, the UNxxC6800 and above don't have as many screen uniformity issues as the lower priced edge-lit models.

However, as always it's your money and your choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/19613072

It's not a C700, it's a UN46C7000. And I didn't say I recommened it OVER anything. I just said it was one I would consider. If you have money to burn, then get the one you want.

As for edge-lit Samsungs, the UNxxC6800 and above don't have as many screen uniformity issues as the lower priced edge-lit models.

However, as always it's your money and your choice.

I didn't mean to offend you. Just stating my original reason behind the post.

How does the UN46C9000 compare in your opinion?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by applerokr /forum/post/19613208

I didn't mean to offend you. Just stating my original reason behind the post.

You didn't offend me in the least.

I don't have the slightest clue how the two Samsungs compare because I haven't seen them side by side; however, after years of experience I've found out many times that the most expensive item may very well be better, but it also may not be worth the extra money. It all depends on your likes and dislikes. I'm at the stage in my life that I can afford any TV I want, and although I always opt for quality, I don't always necessarily get the "best money can buy." I get what I want and what I need. If it happens to be the most expensive, I'm fine with that. If it isn't, I'm fine with that also.

As I've recommended many times, I wouldn't think of buying a TV or anything else of any significant value (cost) without seeing it in person first and making up my own mind. We are a collection of strangers here on this forum and although many of us do our best to help, most of us realize that buying a TV (for whatever reason) is a very personal decision which many people take very seriously.

Since the TV you choose will go into your house and not mine, I hope you won't just take the advice of a relatively few of us that are taking the time to reply to your thread and go see them in person and make your own choice. Do more research, get more advice, look at them, and only then should you feel comfortable spending your money.

Good luck.

·
Registered
902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by applerokr /forum/post/19613208

The C9000 never focused on pure picture quality. As you can see, Samsung focused on the thin factor. The C9000 I believe, is only edge-lit with NO local dimming. The C9000 was never a hot-seller to begin with, because it was extremely overpriced and the performance did not meet the price point.

The C8000 is edge-lit with local dimming.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you for the information.

As far as reliability goes it seems the vibe I am getting is sony is pretty good.

I am interested in the Sony XBR 46HX909, even though its quite expensive. I just want to make sure my investment would last a long time.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Veering off the topic of PQ just a little...

Functionality and ease of use is a biggie for me when considering which TV to buy. What components will you be connecting to the TV? I like using same-brand components since HDMI-CEC works much better than with using differing brands. I have 2 Sony screens, one with a PS3 and Sony BD player, the other with a Samsung BD player; I use the single TV remote on the all-Sony setup 99% of the time. When using the Sammy player, I use the Sammy remote more than 50% of the time; the Sony TV remote does not have enough command over the Sammy's features.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts