AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got tight space constraints on length and width so I've narrowed it down to the Toshibas 46H83 and 46HX83 as well as the Sony KP-46WT510 after reading all of the great posts that I could find on AVSForum - thanks a lot.

Looks like I can get about the same price for all three so I'll probably go 46HX83.

One question I can't find discussed anywhere though is power consumption. The unit will back to a media closet that gets very hot. (No airconditioning, other gear running.) I would like to get something that uses less power than my 7 year old Mitsubishi 50" sitting in there now (believe it is 260 Watts). I think the Mitsubishi probably suffered from premature aging in the heat and would like to avoid the same fate with this one.

Is there a difference between the Sony and Toshibas on power consumption? The Sony says it is Energy Star certified and uses 1 watt in standby but 260 in operation.

The Toshiba does not appear to be Energy Star certified (according to Sears.com) but I can't find any figures on power consumption.

Any ideas?

I was hoping that DLP would be much lower power consumption than rear projection CRT but it doesn't seem to be a very large difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I still haven't been able to figure out the power consumption on the Toshiba 46HX83 but I saw that the boxes have the Energy Star label on them.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else but it seems like a good sign. The sales people that I talked with didn't have any idea other than looking at a tag for larger Tosh HX model that they could access which I think said 190 Watts average if I remember correctly. I'm hoping that this will mean the 46HX83 is lower still since it uses smaller guns.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cool! My first post!

I've been researching this tv (sometimes the retailers say 46H83, sometimes 46HX83, the specs and picture they use look the same) for the last few days as a third lower cost alternative to the LCD or DLP or plasma that I crave, after seeing it at Best Buy. Amazon sometimes has the manual for tv's that they have listed and the 46H83 is on there. The appendix lists the power consumption as 190 watts average.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Allright!

Post # 2 gets to say nevermind re: post #1.

Upon further review of other threads here, the manual for the H series probably won't apply for the HX series.

Sorry about that Chief.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alexaaa
(sometimes the retailers say 46H83, sometimes 46HX83, the specs and picture they use look the same)
The 46H83 and the 46HX83 are two very different models. It is true the exterior cabinets look the same, but the visible difference is the bezel around the screen (silver vs. black), and that difference is due to the different screen types used (not just the trim color).

The HX is part of the Cinema Series, and with that, comes with several extra features (the IR stuff for one) and enhancements (the CRT's for one), over the other model.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My 50" DLP is rated 200 watts. I think what would be best, would to arrange ventilation for your equiptment closet, a powered exhaust duct into the attic for example...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the helpful information. The better ventilation idea is interesting and I'll need to give it some thought - not having air conditioning I don't don't want to pump it into the house either.

Looks like the Toshiba's are around 60 or 70 watts lower than the Sony.

Interesting to note that the plasma televisions are much higher, around 300 watts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you choose the Toshiba, I think you'll be happy with it. I watched Star Wars Attack af the Clones with my kids last night. I was just thrilled with the picture even though I hadn't done anything to it but hit the TouchFocus convergence and lowered the contrast and brightness to some of the suggested levels from the other threads around here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.