Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other(lcd/plasma)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Viewing distance will be 10' and 11.5' respectively to the bed, about 15 to the treadmill/reading lounge.

I have a 54S1 in the living room that I greatly appreciate (wish it was 58 or 65), play tons of blue ray and PS3, Modern Warfare II.

Heard issues about the G series blacks which concerns me some about my S1.

This TV will be used mainly by my wife to watch DVR'd b/s Lifetime, HD HBO, HD NBC, CBS, ABC, etc and what not via comcast HD for 1-2 hours per night, maybe 4 hours on weekends. I may put a BR player in there in the future, but for now, just Comcast HD and surround. It's replacing and undersized 1st generation 32" Phillips LCD that is too small and colors are all washed out.

I'm hesitant about buying older tech (720) but from everything I read, at this distance it won't matter. So I'd save roughly $200 and add 4" which I think may be worth it. I aslo have $225 in Amazon credit so will be buying from there.

Anyway, your votes or recs on something else would also appreciated, plasma or lcd

thx

·
Registered
3,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a /forum/post/18193849

I have a 54S1 in the living room that I greatly appreciate (wish it was 58 or 65), play tons of blue ray and PS3, Modern Warfare II.

So...Put the 54S1 in the bedroom and get a 65 for the living room.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime /forum/post/18194135

So...Put the 54S1 in the bedroom and get a 65 for the living room.

Problem solved.

hmmm, the stand is 49.5" and the tv is 52" wide
, but then I'd have to pony up big time for the 65"

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
What primetime said. I have a friend with the X1 and they've recently been struck by the black level issue (although actually I guess it probably happened before, but I hadn't thought to check previously). S1's seem to be less prone to it for whatever reason than the G's or X's.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
we recently bought a 50X1 for our living room and sit 10' away and it looks great on everything but best on blu ray's of course

as for the rising black issue yeah it has it according to at least one member on these forums measured a rise from .14 to .24 after 1000 hours ours is only at 230 hours so nothing to report yet and due to reading about the problem on here i went to Fry's and checked out their floor model's black levels and even though its in a store the area they keep the TV's is i would say average house lighting and the blacks looked fine on them maybe a tad lighter than our new X1 but still good and according to their SM they all had 3300-3400 hours on them so I honestly don't see it being a deal breaker unless your that anal about black levels the blacks will still beat any non local dimming LCD TV so who cares imho

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
You've had that 54S1 for less than a year. After a year, it will look like a 46S1. (You'll probably even sneak out at night with a tape measure just to make sure someone didn't swap it out when you weren't looking.) And you'll yearn to get those eight inches back. That's when the Gotta-Have hormones will kick in for the sixty-five.

Forget about the "rising blacks" nonsense. The only real downside is the two grand worth of difference between the 65 and the X1.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would not hesitate to buy a 720p,...I know many will disagree, but IMO 1080p technology is overrated, and more marketing gimmick than substance

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vascoboy;1822136[b /forum/post/0

5]i would not hesitate to buy a 720p,...i know many will disagree, but imo 1080p technology is overrated, and more marketing gimmick than substance[/b]

+1

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would pick up a sammy...as far as 720p vs 1080p...My 2005 720p panny plasma looks better than my 2009 1080p panny plasma but this could just be something with these crappy 09 pannies.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vascoboy /forum/post/18221365

I would not hesitate to buy a 720p,...I know many will disagree, but IMO 1080p technology is overrated, and more marketing gimmick than substance

+1

having owned both if your that far away 1080p is largely worthless this is esp the case with broadcast/cable HDTV because the quality is not good enough to take full advantage of 1080p like blu-ray's can

1 - 10 of 10 Posts