AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the cable guy install the HD box and have some questions. I haven't purchased a DVI cable yet after returning the $150 Monster Cable so I haven't tried that input.

My problem is that with the HD component cables in Component 3, I can watch HD stations with no problem. If I switch to a DTV or STD cable station, I receive a message stating "Not supported Mode". If I switch back to Video 1 input, then I can go back to watching DTV or STD cable channels. Is this normal? and will this be solved by going to DVI?

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I assume this is the HLN467W DLP set?

Here's whayt may be happening. The Samsung DLP's don't have full range inputs.

Component 1 - Supports 480i/480p

Component 2 - Supports 480p/720p/1080i

Component 3 - Supports 480p/720p/1080i

Your box outputs a HD signal when you are watching HD channels, when you switch to a SD (standard definition) channel it outputs 480i, which the input dosen't support.

Some boxes allow you to set the output scaling to 480p/720p/1080i when you are watching a SD channel. Set this and all your channels will work on Comp3.

You may want to stay with the current setup and switch inputs, as the TV probably scales the SD signal much better than the cable box.

Hope this helps.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Taylormade2
Yes, it's the HLN467W set.

Thanks for the info. I guess I just will have to live with changing inputs.
Some people use S-Video for their SD programs. That leaves component 1 free for DVD if they don't have a DVI capable DVD player.

It's possible S-Video will look better than component for SD TV anyway.

If you have a HD cable STB it should allow you to convert everything to 720p for output. You might have to pester the cable company or inquire in the HDTV Hardware forum to find out how to make that change to your STB setup.

Knowing the name and model number of your STB is necessary in order to get the right information.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My cable box does allow you to set the output via component or DVI to 480i/480p/720p/1080i. Regardless of the setting (480p/720p/1080i), I cannot watch the STD and DTV channels on component 2 or 3.

If I set it to 480p and use Component 1, then I can view all stations.

I'm going to hook up the DVD player tomorrow to Component 2 and 3 to test them at 480p. Why would 480p from the cable box work on Component 1 but not 2 or 3? If the DVD player works at 480p on all 3 components then that tells me the cable box isn't converting 480i to 480p as it should. It even has a "Pass" setting that passes native 720p and 1080i to the tv and automatically converts 480i to p, but even with that setting, I can't watch STD or DTV channels on Components 2 or 3.

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
What happens if you have the STB convert everything to 720p?

The STB may be defective.

The Faroudja chip does the deinterlacing if you use the S-Video output for SD.

I used a OTA STB set at 720p and got SD, DTV, HD stations with one DVI connection.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What box (make/model) did Brighthouse provide?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've got the same problem with Brighthouse and the Pace 550 cable box that they provided. The box is "supposed" to upconvert the signals to what you specify (say, 720p).....but....channels 1-98 are conventional analog signals, and I believe that the Pace box passes them as 480i regardless of the setting. This presents a problem on Components 2/3. I verified this by attaching to component 1 (which accepts 480i), and the channels came thru fine.

In any case, I use S-video for these channels. But...when I have time, I will contact Brighthouse to see if there is a firmware update that will up-convert the analog channels. Also, I'm having a problem with the same box and DVI, but that's another story.....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have the Pace 550 cable box as well. Apparently it doesn't upconvert 480i to 480p as stated in the Pace manual. I'd be surprised if I could find someone at Brighthouse who could understand this problem.

What problem are you having with the DVI Rog?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called Brighthouse and as I thought, it was futile. They don't have a phone representative intelligent enough to understand the concept of upconversion and 480i and 480p.

If the DVI cable doesn't solve the problem, then I'm going to switch to DirectTV. A friend of mine who has the HLN567W uses the DVI cable and has no problems with changing channels.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just spoke with Pace Micro and they indicated that some cable companies have set the Pace 550 box to force 480i on analog stations regardless of the setting on the screen.

The support guy gave me the steps to turn that off which should solve the problem with the Component 2 & 3 inputs.

Rogracer, he said that there is a known issue regarding Samsung sets and their Pace 550 HD using DVI. He said there should be a software fix for this in about 1 month. Apparently they distribute the software fix to Pioneer and then Pioneer will test and release it. Apparently the software update is done over the cable signal. I guess I can hold off on a DVI cable for now.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Wow, that's really great information Taylormade. I guess I'll wait on the DVI problem......but would you mind sharing the steps need to permit the up-conversion of analog 480i? TIA.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Taylormade2 & RogRacer:

Is the "issue" Taylormade2 is referring to with Samsung DLPs and the Pace 550 via DVI mean that the Pace 550 outputs analog channels at 480i? I have had a Pace 550 feeding my DLP via DVI for six months and the Pace puts out 720p for all channels, analog or digital. Plus, there is a MAJOR conveniece factor switching between analog and digita through the Pace. With its predecessor (SA 3100) I would have to switch inputs to get reasonable PQ on analog channels but with the Pace, I get a very good image through the DVI port.

I would be happy to query my local cable techie (Time Warner) to see if it is something that cable providers are doing to the Pace STBs but it doesn't appear to be inherent to the Pace 550 itself. It sounds like something that your cable co did or had the manufacturer do...

·
Registered
219 Posts
mnilan...there are two different issues. My DLP will not connect at all over the DVI port (but my DVD over DVI works just fine). There have been reports of the Pace box not supporting Samsung DLPs, but I've also heard reports like yours that it works just fine. So, I'm not sure what the issue is, but I'll just wait until Pace has a "fix" since my DVI port is occupied anyway....

The other issue is what the Pace box passes to the component output. It seems some cable companies override the "normal" Pace default of upconverting analog 480i to 480p.....so 480i comes thru on those channels. And that's a problem for the Sammy's component 2/3 inputs.

But hopefully...the steps to fix this will be outlined by Taylormade2!!!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
RogRacer:

I see. Your cable company is responsible for the Pace DVI output port not activated - probably when they ordered the Pace STBs. As for the 480i/480p issue, that is indeed an interaction problem since the Pace only has one set of component outputs. It would work if you could hook up two sets of component inputs into the DLP and then switch inputs to component 1 for analog and component 2 or 3 for digital and HD. Yes, this is a problem.

I do have a temporary solution for you however. Split the cable coming in the room with a high bandwidth cable splitter (THIS IS IMPORTANT) and run one to the Antenna input on your DLP and the other to the Pace STB. The antanna input will enter the DLP as a 480i signal which will then be scaled up to 720p by the DLP and will look reasonable. Then run the component output of the Pace to your component 2 (or 3). Then you will have to switch between Antenna and Component 2 (or 3) for analog versus digital and HD. This should hold you until your cable company gets its act together.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mnilan,

It's not an issue of the Pace DVI output port not being activated. There is a compatibility issue with the DVI between Samsungs and the Pace with two-way communication and the DVI not remaining active. The Pace Tech said that this will be solved with a software update due in about a month. Also, does your time warner version use Pioneer software? If not, that may be why yours works without any problems. The Brighthouse boxes use Pioneer software.

Also, the 480i/480p upconvert solution doesn't require any splitting. The Pace 550 does the upconversion but this has likely been deactivated by Brighthouse so that 480i only comes out as 480i which cannot be overriden with the regular resolution screen. The Pace 550 is designed to upconvert 480i so that everything can be viewed on components 2 or 3 in either 480p, 720p or 1080i.

Rogracer,

1. Push Display to bring up the resolution screen.

2. Scroll to "480i" and look to see if an envelope shows up on the Pace Box display window. If it does, that means the box outputs all 480i as is.

3. Hit the "guide" button on the remote to toggle this on and off. The envelope should be off so that the resolution can be changed on screen.

4. Go back to resolution and scroll to desired setting, "Pass, 480p, 720p or 1080i" and then hit the center cursor button on the remote which should be the "select" button.

5. The cable box should now be able to convert 480i to the desired resolution and analog channels should be viewable on components 2 and 3.

I haven't tried this yet but will as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fortunately, the fix the tech gave me worked!

There was an envelope that showed up when 480i was chosen and the "guide" button did toggle that off.

The "Pass" function still doesn't work as it is supposed to because it's not upconverting the 480i to 480p automatically. If I set the resolution to 480p, 720p or 1080i I can now watch all channels on component 2 or 3. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Taylormade2...You DA MAN. I got it working on my box too! My box must be a little different than yours, though....I didn't get the "envelope" prompt that you mention. I was working blind, but the steps did the trick.

Now, a small issue...the Brighthouse on-screen program guide no longer appears on the S-Video input. It still works fine on Component, though. Did this happen to you too, or did I manage to turn it off somehow on the S-video port only?

Also...in many causes, I like the S-video picture better than the Component on some low-res channels. But at least now I have the choice, and channel surfing is *much* easier. Thanks for the help!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.