AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All:


I just bought a 32" Panasonic Viera TC-L32X1 for $360 from newegg that i bought for my bedroom and had barely used it for days, and i like how beautiful the image is with the HDMI feeding it.


the problem is that i think that now, with the stunning hd picture in my bedroom, i think the 32" size is too small! (my living room has a Sony SXRD 60") I'd rather try to sell it quickly to a friend now rather than later on.


I think 40" is sufficient but 46" would be even nicer, though a bit overwhelming for a bedroom.


There appears to be 2 "top contenders" in the 46" area:


(1) Samsung LN46B550 - 60 Hz


(2) Sony KDL-46EX500 - 120 Hz (but not yet available till ~3/1/10



They are both priced around $975 range.


Of course, there remains the issue of whether or not the 50-ft run of HDMI would transmit 1080 or not, which i cannot test without one of these 1080 LCD's. (i use a 50 foot run of HDMI to connect my cable box to the Panasonic currently because this particular cable box is shared with a tv card in my pc)


In any case, if i ordered the Sony KDL46EX500, I would likely not receive it till early/mid March. How much of an improvement is 120Hz over 60Hz?


Between these two models, is there one that is a higher quality product with less issues/problems?


Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,324 Posts
Go with the sammy man, you wont be disappointed, i have the 37 inch sammy b550, loving it, its for my bedroom though, A650 in the living room.


46 would be huge in the bedroom though hehehehe
37 is just perfect for the corner i have my baby in (the b550
)


and i bought a 37 and not a 32 just for the same reason ur selling your 32 incher for right now, i knew i would regret not buying the 37
, 40 is too much for the corner i have the tv in even though i might have been able to pull it off but still it would be too much , hey, im watching from 4 feet away
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mmm...lamonsasa: I don't quite get your reasoning.


You said the 37" is perfect for the corner in your bedroom, so that makes sense for you. Great. That's about the proper size for your particular space. How does that make the Samsung better than the Sony? I don't follow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio /forum/post/18131663


Mmm...lamonsasa: I don't quite get your reasoning.


You said the 37" is perfect for the corner in your bedroom, so that makes sense for you. Great. That's about the proper size for your particular space. How does that make the Samsung better than the Sony? I don't follow.

Well, im recommending you the b550 as a model, as i own one and can tell you how the PQ is. If it had a horrible picture or if it had problems i would told you to not even bother and stay away.. get it?


In regards to the Sony, thats really upto you whether you want to wait for the new model to come out and then comes the dilemma of samsung vs sony, i personally dont like sonys, their tvs have so many reported problems(Picture wise, not power problems like the samsungs have, many sonys get checkerboard screens and what not after a while ), you have an example if you go to the LCD Forum Root you will see a guy has a problem with his sony and sony wants him to pay $2200 to fix the darn backlight
that shows you how good of a company Sony is, in many cases when people have problems with their samsung and it cant be fixed or if its a major repair, they give them a NEW current year model for free if they are within their warrenty of course, Sony is not what it used to be


I suggest you go and audition the sony when it comes out and then decide
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
I have yet to see the 46EX500 in a store. I have seen the 40EX500 at Sony Style, HH Gregg and Brandsmart. I have not seen it yet at BB, Sears, or Fry's. None of those stores have the 46" model. BB said mid-week and Sony said the same for the 46". Fry's, Sears and HH Gregg say a couple weeks or closer to March. From the prices they have told me, the 46EX500 will be in the $1k-$1100 range. From what I saw of the 40", it appears that B&M street price may be around $80-100 less than the price on the Sony site.


These stores have so little stock on any 46" Sony units that I'd think it would be sooner than later. One of the local BBs only has only 1 V and an XBR9 in store. The only other stock they have is warehouse stock of the Z which they jacked up to SRP this week. They have taken all but the S and XBR9 off the display wall even. The thing that makes me mad about the stock situation is price matching has been taken out of the equation and these retailers know that. It stinks.


If the price is the same as last night, I will probably buy a 46Z5100 later today. If it's not the same, then I will be interested in seeing the 46EX500 as well.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/18131825


Well, im recommending you the b550 as a model, as i own one and can tell you how the PQ is. If it had a horrible picture or if it had problems i would told you to not even bother and stay away.. get it?


In regards to the Sony, thats really upto you whether you want to wait for the new model to come out and then comes the dilemma of samsung vs sony, i personally dont like sonys, their tvs have so many reported problems(Picture wise, not power problems like the samsungs have, many sonys get checkerboard screens and what not after a while ), you have an example if you go to the LCD Forum Root you will see a guy has a problem with his sony and sony wants him to pay $2200 to fix the darn backlight
that shows you how good of a company Sony is, in many cases when people have problems with their samsung and it cant be fixed or if its a major repair, they give them a NEW current year model for free if they are within their warrenty of course, Sony is not what it used to be


I suggest you go and audition the sony when it comes out and then decide

"In many case when people have problems with their samsung and it can be fixed or if its a major repair, they give them a NEW current year model for free if they are withing their warranty of course..."


Most warranties say "Repair or Replace" at the companies discretion. Sony has replaced a lot of TVs many of them after the warranty has expired.


According to a survey of 118,700 LCD owners only 2% of Sony LCDs and 3% of Samsung LCDs needed repairs in the first ~3.5 years.


To the OP, implemetation determines whether you will see any difference between 120 Hz and 60 Hz.


120 doesn't automatically guarantee less motion blur. It depends on the implementation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thx guys for a number of very useful, practical replies/advice.


as far as i can ascertain, it would seem like the Sony 46EX500 is an excellent unit for ~$1,000, right?


may i know roughly what is the "best estimate" for when it is supposed to be in stock? I'm trying to see if an internet/phone order place would be best for something like this Sony 46EX500. Let's say I'm ready to place an order now, even a pre-order, what would be the best place to place such a pre-order and when might be be able to expect to have it? Would prior to 3/1st be realistic? Or, would it take as long as, say, middle of March?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio /forum/post/18133785


Thx guys for a number of very useful, practical replies/advice.


as far as i can ascertain, it would seem like the Sony 46EX500 is an excellent unit for ~$1,000, right?


may i know roughly what is the "best estimate" for when it is supposed to be in stock? I'm trying to see if an internet/phone order place would be best for something like this Sony 46EX500. Let's say I'm ready to place an order now, even a pre-order, what would be the best place to place such a pre-order and when might be be able to expect to have it? Would prior to 3/1st be realistic? Or, would it take as long as, say, middle of March?

Well its a decent set but see, you are doing something completely different now, you asked about the b550 and now you are talking about a $1000 set, these 2 sets cant be compaed
the b550 40 incher is 700 bucks right now! 300 cheaper than that sony you are looking it, sure the sony has 120hz, question is if you want to and if its worth 300 bucks for ya..


Its best to compare 2 tvs at the same price point,


With your current comparison, i would pick the b550 for 300 less with a heartbeat and save 300 bucks and have a similar if not BETTER picture quality than the sony, the Sony's usually dont have as VIBRANT picture as the Sammys



Choice is urs bro
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/18134154


Well its a decent set but see, you are doing something completely different now, you asked about the b550 and now you are talking about a $1000 set, these 2 sets cant be compaed
the b550 40 incher is 700 bucks right now! 300 cheaper than that sony you are looking it, sure the sony has 120hz, question is if you want to and if its worth 300 bucks for ya..


Its best to compare 2 tvs at the same price point,


With your current comparison, i would pick the b550 for 300 less with a heartbeat and save 300 bucks and have a similar if not BETTER picture quality than the sony, the Sony's usually dont have as VIBRANT picture as the Sammys



Choice is urs bro

lamonsasa: Kindly please look at the title of this thread. I specifically said: " 46" Sony KDL-46EX500 / 120Hz or Samsung LN46B550 / 60Hz?"


BOTH of the model numbers listed in the title of this thread specifically refers to the 46" versions of the specific lines of the respective companies, i.e. the EX500 line of Sony, and the B550 line of Samsung.


Hence, with all due respect, the "$300 less" example which you cited does not apply. Nonetheless, thank you so much for your input and advice. I appreciate all those who wish to help me out by offering their genuine advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio /forum/post/18134235


lamonsasa: Kindly please look at the title of this thread. I specifically said: " 46" Sony KDL-46EX500 / 120Hz or Samsung LN46B550 / 60Hz?"


BOTH of the model numbers listed in the title of this thread specifically refers to the 46" versions of the specific lines of the respective companies, i.e. the EX500 line of Sony, and the B550 line of Samsung.


Hence, with all due respect, the "$300 less" example which you cited does not apply. Nonetheless, thank you so much for your input and advice. I appreciate all those who wish to help me out by offering their genuine advice.


i must have mixed up with another thread, sorry about that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lamonsasa: No worries whatsoever. Again, thx very much for your input and enthusiasm.


It's just that I see virtually no downsides to buying a 120 Hz current, brand spanking new generation of Sony 46" versus buying a 60 Hz, 2009/last season's generation Samsung. Their prices are identical.


On top of it all, the Sony is 2" lower overall in height which is somewhat critical in that the painting behind the tv will be less obscured by the tv. Sony is ~28" overall height versus the Samsung is ~30". The 28" height (of the Sony EX500) will cover just barely the bottom of the wood frame of the bottom of the painting on the wall immediately behind the tv, while the 30" tall Samsung will cover more than just the frame, maybe 2" of the bottom of the painting. While neither is perfect (since I don't want to hassle with moving/rehanging the painting), the Sony is by far preferable (or at least less objectionable) since it only barely obscures the frame of the paiting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio /forum/post/18134664


lamonsasa: No worries whatsoever. Again, thx very much for your input and enthusiasm.


It's just that I see virtually no downsides to buying a 120 Hz current, brand spanking new generation of Sony 46" versus buying a 60 Hz, 2009/last season's generation Samsung. Their prices are identical.


On top of it all, the Sony is 2" lower overall in height which is somewhat critical in that the painting behind the tv will be less obscured by the tv. Sony is ~28" overall height versus the Samsung is ~30". The 28" height (of the Sony EX500) will cover just barely the bottom of the wood frame of the bottom of the painting on the wall immediately behind the tv, while the 30" tall Samsung will cover more than just the frame, maybe 2" of the bottom of the painting. While neither is perfect (since I don't want to hassle with moving/rehanging the painting), the Sony is by far preferable (or at least less objectionable) since it only barely obscures the frame of the paiting.


True, but you should not be looking at it that way, heres a reference, the 2008 model Samsung A650 still blows out some 2009/pre 2010 TV Models out of the water when it comes to PQ, the year the TV was made in is not as critical as you may think, The LN 37B550 that i have in the bedroom has 70,000:1 on paper, my 52 A650 has 50,000:1 on paper,
this grin should tell you what im about to say..



The picture of the A650 is much sharper and has a better overall picture vividness and colors, thats due to the A650 being a High end tv which contains higher quality materials(but hey someone may be thinking it cant be possible because still its a 2008 model
), Upscaler , Tuner aswell as the Panel itself not to mention the A650 has the "ULTRA CLEAR PANEL" which makes it have a GLOSSY screen where the a550 has a matte screen, Anyway just giving you an example of how a year of the model doesnt really matter because quiete frankly there are some older models that are superior to their new models.


Now back to the Sony, sure the sony might have 120hz but that doesnt guarantee it has a better picture than the b550, sure the 120hz is a great plus
but thats why i told ya to check it out when it comes out and compare so u dont have regrets man



Because having regrets is the worst thing that can happen when you buy an expensive toy, such as an HDTV



Also you should take into account of how Sony treats their TV Model chain in regards to quality, as you may know, Samsung's low end tvs(3 series, 4 series.. ) dont have much quality put into them as the higher models, its pretty obvious just by seeing the PQ these lower end sets produce, im not sure how sony handles their model lineup so thats a question mark for you to check out, if the sony your looking at is kind of in the middle of the lineup then thats good because so is the B550, its in the middle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18133693


"In many case when people have problems with their samsung and it can be fixed or if its a major repair, they give them a NEW current year model for free if they are withing their warranty of course..."


Most warranties say "Repair or Replace" at the companies discretion. Sony has replaced a lot of TVs many of them after the warranty has expired.


According to a survey of 118,700 LCD owners only 2% of Sony LCDs and 3% of Samsung LCDs needed repairs in the first ~3.5 years.


To the OP, implemetation determines whether you will see any difference between 120 Hz and 60 Hz.


120 doesn't automatically guarantee less motion blur. It depends on the implementation.

I just have a hard time believing only 2-3% of TV's fail within 3.5 years. At our shop alone we have 4 outside techs doing an average of 5 jobs per day each. About 1/2 the sets are under 3.5yrs old. That's 50 TV's per WEEK just for our shop...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
IIRC, my local BB and Sony Style said that the EX500 should be in this week. Though the Atlanta market may not help much.


I actually pulled the trigger today. I ended up with the KDL-40Z5100. Now the hard part: waiting on Fed Ex fora week. LOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More and more, I'm inclined to go for the Sony 46EX500. The over all height is important for me - it's ~28" on the stand and it just barely covers the bottom of the frame of the artwork right behind it, whereas the Samsung 46" is 2 inches taller and would obscure part of the bottom of the painting, and rehanging the artwork is a hassle for me.


I realize that that has nothing to do with the quality of the tv itself.


That said, I see no good reason to not go for the current, most up-to-date model, i.e. the latest Sony 46EX500. Nothing has been written about how the most current Sony's have any particular significant issues to the point of having to avoid them.


The Samsung LN46B550, while perfectly fine, is just over 30" tall, and is 60 Hz instead of the Sony's 120 Hz. Realizing that merely the Hz of the tv isn't saying everything about the tv, I still come to the conclusion that by going to 120 Hz, there are few downsides, if any at all. After all, the Sony 46EX500 has:


- 24p True Cinema Technology,

- CineMotion Reverse 3:2 Pulldown Technology,

- Cinema Mode, etc.


It sounds like Sony has carefully and duly noted the issues of 120 Hz/frames versus almost all dvd's and film's 24 frames/sec, and how it needs to compensate for the fact that to reduce film/dvd jitter/jerkiness, they have to make proper provisions for it - and it sounds like they have certain paid attention to this issue and made various provisions for it.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top