AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

To support a 46" Sony Bravia KDL-46Z4100, I was all set to build a HTPC system with an ASUS motherboard, P5Q-EM. This has an integrated video processor, but see the specs only support 1920 x 1080 @ 60 hz. The Sony Bravia KDL-46Z4100 has a refresh rate of 120 hz. So unless I want to compromise the video quality/refresh rate, I cannot use the ASUS P5Q-EM? I presume I need to use a higher-end separate video card? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello,

To support a 46" Sony Bravia KDL-46Z4100, I was all set to build a HTPC system with an ASUS motherboard, P5Q-EM. This has an integrated video processor, but see the specs only support 1920 x 1080 @ 60 hz. The Sony Bravia KDL-46Z4100 has a refresh rate of 120 hz. So unless I want to compromise the video quality/refresh rate, I cannot use the ASUS P5Q-EM? I presume I need to use a higher-end separate video card? Or am I missing something?

Sony LCD TV Spec:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665411950

ASUS Motherboard P5Q-EM spec
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...13&modelmenu=2

Thanks!

Scott

PS Added links to the device specs; was unable to do this previously since I have only 3 posts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

The Sony HDTV listed above has a 120 Hz refresh rate and the graphics processor on the ASUS P5Q-EM has a refresh rate of only 60 hz; I was concerned over this apparent discrepency. However, after reading google it appears this is nto an issue. There is no digital media that has a frame rate of 120 Hz. TV broadcasts at 60 Hz or less and Blu-ray for example has a frame rate of 24 Hz. So my impression is using the ASUS P5Q-EM with the Sony HDTV (even though it is 120 Hz) won't be an issue. Can someone confirm? Thx.

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, no problem with 120Hz TV

120Hz signal is from tv -> screen

This double up is by interpolating a frame and inserting into the 1080i signal

Reason for this is around LCD latency times (pixel switch on switch off) I think

No need to worry for your HTPC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.