AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want an experts opinion on these two sets and why one is better then the other...I understand that the B750 was ranked higher then the XBR9 by cnet but I wanted other opinions as well...i am using primarily to watch tv and blu ray as well...best picture quality...looking for the best soap-opera look between the two with the least amount of artifacts, halos, ghosting or anything of that nature...also it does seem as though because the samsung does have the glossy screen that it brings out colors more but im not sure...for those that own one or have had both set up side by side and have done a true comparison please let me know what you think of both sets thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't even know what tv you are referring to. Could you elaborate a little as to what you're talking about. Is it an LCD? Will it give me that "soap-opera" look that I'm going for? How are the colors and blacks on that tv? Help please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone else willing to voice their opinion on which set they would recommend? Again I am looking at the 46" model for both...will be in my room so light can be controlled...i love the soap opera look when it comes to blu rays so between the two if i can set it on a high setting and be able to enjoy that soap opera feel without any ghosting, hazing, or halos that would be a deciding factor as to which one of these can perform better in this aspect...and PQ is a must as well
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopez12 /forum/post/16983558


anyone else willing to voice their opinion on which set they would recommend? Again I am looking at the 46" model for both...will be in my room so light can be controlled...i love the soap opera look when it comes to blu rays so between the two if i can set it on a high setting and be able to enjoy that soap opera feel without any ghosting, hazing, or halos that would be a deciding factor as to which one of these can perform better in this aspect...and PQ is a must as well

I'm not an expert, just an enthusiast
but I own the B750 (52") and it's an awesome TV. The nice thing about the new Samsungs is that you can customize the 'motion enhancers' separately. So, if you ever get tired of the 'soap opera' look, you can keep blur reduction turned on without maxing out the dejudder. Not sure if you can do this on the Sonys? You probably can't go wrong either way though—I think they're both good TVs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopez12 /forum/post/16983558


anyone else willing to voice their opinion on which set they would recommend? Again I am looking at the 46" model for both...will be in my room so light can be controlled...i love the soap opera look when it comes to blu rays so between the two if i can set it on a high setting and be able to enjoy that soap opera feel without any ghosting, hazing, or halos that would be a deciding factor as to which one of these can perform better in this aspect...and PQ is a must as well

Both are excellent TVs, but in my humble opinion, the B750 is a little more EXCELLENT due mainly to its deep blacks and perfect colors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for the input....yes i have the B750 as well and have the custom settings at 10 for blur and 6 for judder...the problem that I am encountering is that when there are fast moving scenes like a someone chasing another individual or a car chase scene it looks like everything on the screen is going back to "what the director intended". But when they are not moving all that much they keep that soap-opera look. I noticed that when I was looking at the Sony XBR9 or even the Z5100 that with moving scenes, like the ones i mentioned above, that the sony keeps the soap-opera look more intact. A great example of this would be the final fight scene in transformers where they are in the city the sony holds the soap-opera look throughout whereas the Samsung fades back when everything is high paced. I actually noticed even if i had both blur and judder at 10 that it still goes back to no soap opera feel. I didn't think there would be that much of a desparity between samsung's Automotion and Sony's Motionflow but it seems to be apparent to me at least. I am thinking that maybe it is just my set because I remember seeing a B650 set up in a store running blu ray via HDMI and it seemed to hold the look. It was just one of those demo disks but it seemed to be doing better then my B750. Another thing was even when my settings were 10/6 for the Samsung I could see a tad bit of ghosting or hazing in certain scenes but not noticeable if you weren't really looking for it. With that being said with the Sony I had the Motionflow set at high with cinemamotion off the soap opera feel was there but no ghosting at all. For those that do own the B750 can you attest to it holding the soap-opera look through fast moving scenes? Or is the Sony just better with this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/16983812


Both are excellent TVs, but in my humble opinion, the B750 is a little more EXCELLENT due mainly to its deep blacks and perfect colors.

yes the colors do seem to pop more on the B750, at least to me they do. My concern is mainly the AMP and whether it can perform the same way Automotion can
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopez12 /forum/post/16976918


I don't even know what tv you are referring to. Could you elaborate a little as to what you're talking about. Is it an LCD? Will it give me that "soap-opera" look that I'm going for? How are the colors and blacks on that tv? Help please.

He's making a joke about everyone who comes on this forum for help in asking what TV they should buy instead of doing their homework themselves and getting what THEY want instead of what someone else recommends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopez12 /forum/post/16983830


yes the colors do seem to pop more on the B750, at least to me they do. My concern is mainly the AMP and whether it can perform the same way Automotion can

Both motion processors are quite good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) in giving the "soap opera" effect. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/16983844


Both motion processors are quite good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) in giving the "soap opera" effect. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

yes that is true...but i love the soap opera feel on blu ray and want to get the best technology out there...but at the same time dont really want to sacrifice the kind of color that the samsung puts out...what are your settings for the B750? have you compared yours to the XBR9?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/16983831


He's making a joke about everyone who comes on this forum for help in asking what TV they should buy instead of doing their homework themselves and getting what THEY want instead of what someone else recommends.

oh ok well that not exactly what i needed at all...so those kinds of opinions can be kept to the writer...not everyone has the luxury of being able to compare both sets side by side with a blu ray and hdmi and be able to compare...my local best buy runs everything through composite and since they are on a wall some are too high to even hook a blu ray up to it and run a disk to see the performance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdr420 /forum/post/16986427


So have you actually seen both the 750 and the xbr9 at the same time with the amp on? If you said you like the sony better just get the sony. It sounds like you already decided

Like I said, there are always those who want someone else to make up their mind for them so if something goes wrong they have someone else to blame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopez12 /forum/post/16983886


yes that is true...but i love the soap opera feel on blu ray and want to get the best technology out there...but at the same time dont really want to sacrifice the kind of color that the samsung puts out...what are your settings for the B750? have you compared yours to the XBR9?

i just bought the z5100 and used to have the a650, and motion on the sony is much MUCH better. More realistic movement that doesn't studder as much. i also find the colors to be almost as vibrant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
A few month back I was in sorta the same predicament you are now. I was in the market for a higher end 46" HDTV. My choices came down to the XBR9 and the B750. Both TVs are very good IMO. I ended up going with the B750 in no small part because one is able to controller the Blur Reduction and Judder Reduction seperately. Also at the time the B750 was not quite as costly as the XBR9, but just as good if not better in some areas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,426 Posts
I'm deciding between the same TVs, actually. In my opinion from careful scrutinization at best buy:

- the samsung is definitely higher contrast

- reflections preference: mirror finish versus semi-matte

- samsung's AMP is configurable

- samsung has far better support for PC-modes

- samsung's video player supports more video formats (DLNA)

- b750 and xbr9 speakers face down rather than toward the listener, for the sake of style

- sony PQ seems softer; edge and contrast is lost in details (imho)


(looking for feedback or clarification...)


And yes, the motion smoothing is inconsistent (distractingly so, imho). When it detects certain scenarios that it can't interpolate properly, it doesn't, to avoid introducing artifacts.


Anybody know what the difference is between the XBR9 and the Z5100, aside from styling?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_k /forum/post/16987086


I'm deciding between the same TVs, actually. In my opinion from careful scrutinization at best buy:

- the samsung is definitely higher contrast

- reflections preference: mirror finish versus semi-matte

- samsung's AMP is configurable

- samsung has far better support for PC-modes

- samsung's video player supports more video formats (DLNA)

- b750 and xbr9 speakers face down rather than toward the listener, for the sake of style

- sony PQ seems softer; edge and contrast is lost in details (imho)


(looking for feedback or clarification...)


And yes, the motion smoothing is inconsistent (distractingly so, imho). When it detects certain scenarios that it can't interpolate properly, it doesn't, to avoid introducing artifacts.


Anybody know what the difference is between the XBR9 and the Z5100, aside from styling?

I seen them both and ran the same blu rays on them in hopes to see a difference between the xbr9 and the b750...the details do seem to be sharper on the b750 and colors seem to be brighter. Although at the time they were both on dynamic or vivid so everything was overly bright. As for as the technology they use to implement the 240hz from what I saw the sony is better if you like the soap opera feel...with motionflow set to high and cinemotion off it keeps the SOE through any scene you will not see any ghosting or hazing at all. With the Samsung it might suit one better that likes the "as the director intended" look because you can adjust the blur and judder separately. As for the differnece in the xbr9 and the z5100 I can not tell you for sure. I have read in other areas that when they lined up the b750, xbr9, and z5100 next to one another they could not tell a difference. I think the z5100 looks more washed out then the xbr9 or the b750. It is cheaper then the xbr9 so if price is something that comes into play you might want to look into that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/16986486


Like I said, there are always those who want someone else to make up their mind for them so if something goes wrong they have someone else to blame.

I am not asking anyone to make up my mind for me. Is that not what these forums are for, to ask for people's opinions on things especially if they own them. Doing research is one thing, you can line them up side by side on a comparison chart and that doesn't necessarily mean anything. And we all know that when you see them in store everything is entirely off from what you would have it set at in your home and most times there is no remote for you to be able to adjust anything. So you can't really get the feel for it in the store. That's why I am asking the opinion of those that own either one of these. Not for them to tell me which one to buy but which one fares better in certain aspects, in this case SOE.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top