AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a Sharp 47", model LC47SB57UT be ok?

The price is high for my price range, but it seems like a great deal. My other major option would be to look for a plasma in a smaller size. I'm not a gamer, and it would not be in very bright light. I would, however, enjoy seeing my photos on the screen, and wonder if the lower 720p resolution of plasma in this price range would matter.

What do you think? Thanks for reading...

Harry

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry6 /forum/post/18239044

Would a Sharp 47", model LC47SB57UT,

The price is high for my price range, but it seems like a great deal. My other major option would be to look for a plasma in a smaller size. I'm not a gamer, and it would not be in very bright light. I would, however, enjoy seeing my photos on the screen, and wonder if the lower 720p resolution of plasma in this price range would matter.

What do you think? Thanks for reading...

Harry[/quote]

This is a budget line Sharp I honestly have not seen and I'll be honest and I can't stand plasma having owned one and had to get rid of it for it's reflections and daytime washout and dirty whites. Here's a simple TEST to prove my point on the Whites since most of us have a Target Store in our Regions and they've expanded their lines.

Enter the Store and as you walk towards the electronics dept and look to the wall of panels even from a distance make NOTE and look for WHITE's and the Plasma's will show themselves even from 100' you'll spot that GRAY drab Dirty White that simply would lose every Tide commercial and Target has no high end panels but the LCD's will be polar opposite with it's whites even in the budget lines.

Check to see if this model has Dot Mode 1:1 like the other native 1080P panels and it will provide you resolution and clarity far beyond 720P if you view primarily HD. Plasma would win in the blacks but to my eyes it's damn dirty grayish and urinated on whites far outweigh that factor and daytime sun can washout the panel by 85% for dark movies and gaming. Also, Dot Mode is simply easily the best viewing mode for HD but another advantage I found is that my Sharps handled 480 Turdvision SD better than the Panny Plasma and SXRD I owned even though I view HD about 90+% of the time - Dot Mode for obvious reasons can't be used for SD as the math won't work on 480 SD since the panel is fixed and native 1080P and cannot do 1:1 with 480 content. I view CNBC every morning in SD on a 57" panel from 8.5' and it's not bad but comparatively to CNNHD it's a Turd - Comcast is a turtle at adding HD Channels but this panel does SD better than my previous plasma and SXRD but one can only do so much with 480 Turdvision.

For me when I viewed the Plasma for a week that reflective panel made the experience more 2D like a CRT whereas the matte screen provided a peer into PQ that provided Depth. To me and my LCD preference the difference between the two is you WATCH a CRT and it's reflective panel and a Peer into Panel with DEPTH means you garner immersive WoW Factor and Experience the event. Some plasma fanboys would reverse that since that is their viewing preference (opposite).

Study the Consumer ratings and go audition your own viewing preferences and Sharp has a history of excellent Customer Support even though I've never had to use it with the three that I own or the two Sony LCD's I have. That size Sharp 3.5 yrs ago cost $3800 so the world has brought home theater into the realmm of affordability to many.

Enjoy whatever you choose even if it's a plasma!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I love my Sharp (LC46E77UN). I have had it for 2 months and have had it replaced twice with new units (each a different problem). I cannot stress how GREAT Sharp's Aquos Customer Support is. They are FANTASTIC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts