AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Tweeter in San Diego was closing one of its locations. They had a 45tx that they wanted $400 for. Front panel in good shape, remote and manuals not missing. Then I looked in the back...the back panel was dented in a half inch, impacting some of the innards of the receiver. Heartbroken, I saw another floor model... a 47tx with a sticker for $1350, no remote. Two minutes later, the sales guy agreed to a $600 price (plus $40 for 5 year warranty). I had bought a 43tx from them for $500 that I traded back in.

Was this a good deal? The remote is $168 from Pioneer. Plus the price for a mic stand and cord...cord isn't even listed as an available part on Pioneer site. All told, it will be about $350 more than what I'd paid for the 43tx which will get the automated MCAAC, better amps, and 3 more years of warranty.

While I was there I picked up Mirage Omnipolar 60s for $250, new in the box. Also a Denon DVD 1600 for $200, open box. They had a Denon 4802R for $1000 that I was considering instead of the Pioneer, it was in near-pristine shape and had its remote. I really wanted to buy them both...Hey, you gotta love a shutting-down-one-of-our-stores sale!

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Two things:

That is a steal for that price.

Is the Tweeter closing the store or relocating? If closing the store, that is a red flag. I have heard rumors about them having some financial trouble. Anyone else know of other stores closing? Get the unit though, they use a separate company for the warranty backup.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is a steal of a deal man. I haven't heard anything about my Tweeter store closing. They still have new hardware coming in.

By the way, I just bought the 47TX for $1500 plus tax from my Tweeter but am on the verge of returning it and getting a 55Txi. This makes me think I would be better to return it even if I felt like getting a 47TX because I might could find one for $1350 plus tax brand new or cheaper for floor models. Anyway, that is a great deal on a great receiver.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the more I think about it, the happier I am. Even though I don't have any functionality yet because you have to use the remote to set everything up.

The store is closing, not relocating. I wouldn't read too much into it though. This particular Tweeter was in a run-down area of El Cajon, CA. not in synch with their image or their clientele. It was the only store in the San Diego area that they never even bothered to renovate when Tweeter bought out Dow Stereo.

I would imagine that if your name isn't Best Buy and you're a home entertainment store, you're probably struggling in this economy.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.