AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran MCACC for my first time, and the receiver didn't recognize the sub-woofer. Looking at the sub-woofer, I noticed the volume was turned all the way down to zero (my bad). Of course, I need to turn it up.

My question is, how much? All the way? Halfway? Is there a preferred/optimum volume setting for MCACC?

Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just read this from another post. This sounds like my solution.

Does everyone agree with this? Read on:

Quote:
If MCACC set your speakers to "large", reset them to "small". If MCACC set your sub level to -10db, turn the volume control on your subs down and rerun MCACC until you get a sub level of about 0db.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I use a 45TX with twin SVS 16-46PC+. Before I ran Auto-MCCAC, I set the volume on both to about app. 60%, worked great!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
SurferLeo, I set the level control to approximately 9 o'clock on my Hsu VTF-3, and the MCACC (45TX) gets it close to 0 dB. Of course, YMMV and I agree with the post you cited.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
SurferLeo,

How far to turn up the volume control on your particular sub is going to be a matter of experimentation.

Most powered subs have an auto-on feature that turns the sub on when a signal is recieved. The sensitivity of this varies from sub to sub.

My particular sub, a Klipsch KSW-12 would not come on very often with the sublevel on my 45tx set much below 0db.

I ran MCACC repeatedly, varying the sub's volume control each time, until the MCACC sub setting was about 0db.

Even if your sub is more sensitive as far as the auto-on feature, you don't want an MCACC sub setting of -10db.

This is because -10db is the lowest available setting on that receiver. If your MCACC derived sub setting is -10db, there's no way of knowing if it would have selected a lower setting if one were available, and thus no way to insure that -10db is an accurate setting.

By the way, I've double checked the speaker level settings made by the MCACC with an RS analog spl meter, and the MCACC is actually more accurate than the meter. The RS meter is known to be a couple of db off at very low frequencies, and the MCACC sub tone makes the meter read the correct amount higher than the other tones do.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
The RS meter is known to be a couple of db off at very low frequencies, and the MCACC sub tone makes the meter read the correct amount higher than the other tones do.
True. And that is not a "defect" in the RadioShack meter; it is the "C weight curve" that is rolling off gradually at low bass, when correctly implemented. Something one should keep in mind when using the RadioShack meter (or any other "C weighed" SPL meter).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reran MCACC and it gave my sub a value of -9db. I listened to the first five minutes of Attack of the Clones, and it sounded amazing.

I'm thinking that at a value of 0db, the sub will sound too strong and dominant (I *really* liked the sound of the sub at -9db). Per your advice, however, I've gotta try it.

By the way, the sub I'm using is a TruAudio SUB-12A (obscure, local brand -- info here: http://truaudio.com/products_homeinwalls.htm ).

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I'm thinking that at a value of 0db, the sub will sound too strong and dominant (I *really* liked the sound of the sub at -9db). Per your advice, however, I've gotta try it.

=====================================

I wasn't saying to manually raise an MCACC determined sub level to 0db, this would indeed overemphasize the bass.

What I was saying was to lower the volume setting on the sub and rerun MCACC until MCACC came up with a 0db sub setting.

Since the -9db you got from MCACC is above the -10db minimum available setting, it should be accurate.

As long as your sub kicks on when it should, you don't need to manually raise your sub level to 0db.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.